Recommendations for 97 Crown Vic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just inherited a 1997 Crown Vic w/250k miles. The oil changes did not come as faithfully as I'd like, so I'm guessing there is some sludge. What is the best course of action regarding weight/type/brand of oil?? Any advice on a filter? I'm thinking about using Pennzoil, Havoline, or Castrol semi-synthetic, probably 5w-30. I've heard Pennzoil is heavy in detergents, is that true? I figure it would be best to remove the old problems slowly but surely through very consistent oil changes between 3k-4k. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I run Motorcraft 5w30 in my CVPI and it runs nicely and keeps the engine clean. Engine on mine has 111K on it currently 105K of which were police "severe service" miles.

Pennzoil 10w-30 conventional oil and a Pure One or Wix filter.Stay away from synthetics with that many miles.

Originally Posted By: Chris71
Pennzoil 10w-30 conventional oil and a Pure One or Wix filter.Stay away from synthetics with that many miles.

^^Yep,go for the Pennz yb.

hmm, well you can probably pick from many oils. You can do Pennzoil YB or HM, or even MaxLife. If you want a good synthetic then go with Q HorsePower 5w30 at WalMart. It is a great oil at a great price.

If you are concerned about sludge, or, less-than clean internals, MANY people will recommend Auto-RX. It works, unlike MOST of the snake oil additives out there. Search for info on it on this site, there's even an Auto-RX sticky on how to use it.

Basically, you add a bottle to any non-synthetic oil, run it for several thousand miles, change the oil and filter, run it for 2500 miles. If you are really thinking you have sludge, the instructions ask you to do an additional filter change. As I said, it really works, and the instructions are on this site.

Best of luck with this engine. With a little care, it might make a couple hundred thousand more miles!

Why?

Follow this link for a good reason to stick to the Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter:

Ed's Automotive Opinions

It's the reason I only use MC filters on my 1994 T-Bird's 4.6L V8.

Also, I would run two Auto-RX clean and rinse cycles, and then use either Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 (or 5W-30) or Pennzoil HM in the same weights. The 4.6 doesn't work well with heavier oils. Stay with 5W-30 or even 5W-20 range. I just switched to 5W-20 after Ford back-spec'd my engine for it, and it's working great. Plus, I didn't have the typical cold-weather start-up noise I had with the 30-weights. These are my opinions, but they were formed after first-hand experience with the same engine you are dealing with. YMMV.

Last edited:
My dad runs M1 0w20 in his '03 Town Car (also a 4.6) and it's winter performance is EXCELLENT, but it may be overkill for what you are doing.

The Motorcraft oil is cheap and of good repute. So that would be my suggestion.

The 97 is a five quart sump specd for 5w30 IIRC, and the Auto-Rx followed by MotorCraft oil and filters sounds like a sound program.

Originally Posted By: erogers
Follow this link for a good reason to stick to the Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter:

Ed's Automotive Opinions

It's the reason I only use MC filters on my 1994 T-Bird's 4.6L V8.

Also, I would run two Auto-RX clean and rinse cycles, and then use either Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 (or 5W-30) or Pennzoil HM in the same weights. The 4.6 doesn't work well with heavier oils. Stay with 5W-30 or even 5W-20 range. I just switched to 5W-20 after Ford back-spec'd my engine for it, and it's working great. Plus, I didn't have the typical cold-weather start-up noise I had with the 30-weights. These are my opinions, but they were formed after first-hand experience with the same engine you are dealing with. YMMV.

erogers - I missed the back spec first time reading through this. 5w20 is now the recommended weight?
I'm asking cause I don't know, and I do service one of these. Have been using MC 5w30 but will switch if that's the right weight.

Any of the brands you mention in a 5W or 10W30 will be just fine. I don't see any reason to use a synthetic blend, regular old dino oil will do the job just fine.

A synthetic may clean out too much gunk and cause a leak!

I think I'd rather fix a leak then let gunk live in my engine.

But you really can't go wrong with the motorcraft products.

A synthetic may clean out too much gunk and cause a leak!
That's an old wives tale. Synthetic oils don't "clean" any better than mineral oils. Cleaning is performed by the detergents and dispersants in the additive pack, so unless a specific oil is blended with a higher percentage of cleaning agents (like the so-called "higher-mileage" oils), they'll all do the same job in that respect.

To answer the OP's question, Motorcraft 5W-20 has been shown here to be an outstanding oil in all the Ford modular motors. For filters, stick with the Motorcraft FL820S, or a high-quality alternative like WIX/NAPA Gold/Carquest Blue.

Oils with high ester contents (like Redline for example) DO clean better than most oils. M1 is also known to keep things clean, even in engines that are prone to not be.

AutoRX I believe uses esters to perform the work it does.......

Use any good engine oil of the right viscosity, and change it often. That is the safest way to drain out the sludge. Doing this with a high mileage oil is even better.

People have bought stuff that is supposed to be in the engine 10 minutes before the oil is drained. This can be a problem with a very dirty engine, often the sludge will break loose simultaneously, and then choke off the oil pump pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back