slipping freewheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2001 Diamondback Outlook I noticed some clunk sound and slipping when pedaling. It happens only when starting up from standstill or on hills. If I pedal gently it will not slip though so only under load. At first I though it was the chain skipping or the derailer out of adjustment but I checked it and its ok. This bike is ridden in all kinds of terrain from street to off road. The cassette/freewheel is threaded onto the wheel so its a one piece design. I did try to put some lube on the part between the cassette and hub but didn't help. This bike is all stock and I didn't change or upgrade anything. Any suggestions and help, thanks.

Sounds like the chain is jumping a tooth on the cassette. Happens frequently when a chain or cassette is severely worn. It's happened to me before.

I once tore the thread off where the cassette screwed onto the hub.

High torque, and it would jump the thread.

I never replaced the chain or the cassette so the chain is probably stretched. Pics below of the rear cassette and front gears.

dbrcass1.jpg

dbrcass2.jpg

dbcrank1.jpg

dbcrank2.jpg

Sounds like chain skip. Worn chain. Measure the chain. Count 12 links and see if you still measure 12" pin to pin. If you are a touch over, replace both the chain and cassette. It looks like you are about due anyway.

That middle chainring need to be replaced! It's 99.99% surely what's causing the chain to jump. One word of caution before repacing anything, and this is the part folks don't like to hear: If you don't replace the chainring, chain, and cassette, the new part(s) will wear unevenly and you'll have another mess on your hands.

If that's a 7-speed cassette, let me know; I have a new one that I'll let you have for just the shipping cost.

The middle ring for the front I use the most. I hear the same thing about replacing everything together and not the parts separately. The chain is a bit stretched so that likely caused the uneven wear.

Yes its 7 speed on the rear. I don't think the ones on my bike are cassette, the cassette and freewheel are one piece and threads onto the wheel.

Thanks for the help.

Don't forget to check for a stiff link first.
Just slowly pedal backwards with your hand and observe the RDER. A stiff link will make it noticeably "twitch",,

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
That middle chainring need to be replaced! It's 99.99% surely what's causing the chain to jump. One word of caution before repacing anything, and this is the part folks don't like to hear: If you don't replace the chainring, chain, and cassette, the new part(s) will wear unevenly and you'll have another mess on your hands.

If that's a 7-speed cassette, let me know; I have a new one that I'll let you have for just the shipping cost.

No offense to the OP but that crankset looks like one of the lower end type which is riveted. Gonna have to replace the whole crankset and possibly the bottom bracket if it is an older style.

I have expensive billet chainrings on my mountain bike. I change the chain every year and I've used the same rings and cogs for many years... Like 13.

I checked the chain for stiff links and its good. Yes the crankset is the riveted kind so can't just change one of them. The bottom bracket is the ball bearing kind (non sealed cartridge), took it apart once to regrease them. The bottom bracket does have a little bit of play so may need to replace that as well.

With that sytle bottom bracket, you'll probably only be able to replace the bearing/race combo and then adjust it properly. More than likely, your crankset is a single piece (solid bar which both crank arms). Doubt you could upgrade that to a new cartridge style BB and crankset. If all else fails, find an old bike in a junk yard with good ringsand pull the whole unit.

I would bet that you could get away with what you have and just buy the rear cassette and chain. A 7 speed cassette isn't that expensive now and a chain is cheap if you get lower end stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back