15.5 hp Briggs & Stratton Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My c.1996 Craftsman Riding Mower has an 15.5 hp B&S Single Cyl engine. I change the oil every 10 hours (excessive, but it only holds 1.5 quarts), but it has no oil filter. Is there any way of adding an oil filter to this engine, or is it unnecessary?

Dave

No worries at all with that 10hr OCI. IMO, filters aren't needed for your average home owner stuff.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
filters aren't needed for your average home owner stuff. Joel

Not needed??, when ever you can filter oil in any piece of equipment especially on a small sump mill it's a win win situation.

I believe what Joel is trying to say is many, many Briggs engines have lasted a long time without an oil filter. A friend of mine has a Wheel Horse tractor with a 12hp Kohler and no filter. He just turned 1,500 hours. Uses nothing but Pennzoil HD30 and changes every 25 hours. He is also meticulous about caring for the air filter. THAT is the real key to engine life.

Last edited:
Exactly my point Brett. My family had a 1970 John Deere garden tractor with a 10hp Kohler. We used that tractor year around for ~25yrs and sold it with the original engine. It had no filter and saw 1-2 OCIs a year with what ever brand SAE30 or 10w30.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back