55 gallon drum of oil type ?

I have a drum of oil with about 1/3 left. I bought it at a farm auction so it's some type of machine oil I would guess. The only markings on the drum say "Multiduty 3P" Pennzoil brand. It was sold through Purvis Bros locally here. Otherwise no marking for SAE type. I dumped some into a little jar and it has no odd smell like gear lube and no smell like motor oil. I'm looking for suggestions on how to figure out what it is. I analysis of it would work too I guess but it would be nice to avoid the expense of that if possible.

Thanks,
Steve

It was a moment at the auction I'd like to forget.
There were 2 barrels of oil for sale. The one I wanted and the one I didn't. I got the second one cause I wasn't going to spend $100 for one that only had like 5 gallons left in it. I got mine for $40 but now I have to figure out what's in it. Makes a lot of sense now huh ?

Steve

Got my oil report back from Blackstone on the oil in the unknown drum.
They show it as a 10w/30 (or 30W) range. No wear metals, moisture or insolubles were found. And go on to say it looks like a standard diesel engine oil. And say it's a serviceable oil based on the tests. So it looks like I'll be using it in some equipment around here. There's only 20 gallons or so in the drum so it's not worth a million dollars but at least it won't end up in the oil recycler's barrel.
Here's the listing of the specs on it from the report:
Molybdenum 88
Silicon 4
Sodium 15
Calcium 1790
Magnesium 19
Phosphorus 1207
Zinc 1360

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 63.1
CSt Viscosity @ 100 C
Flashpoint in deg F 405

Any comments on it welcome..... not sure what those last things are for but hey I'm new to this so it's interesting at least.

Steve

Not that I'm an expert, but that is an excellent-looking oil you got there....nice high 30-weight visc., and great additive levels. I wouldn't worry a bit about running it for whatever you 'maximum' service intervals are on equipment/vehicles.

For $2/gallon, you got a great deal!

Originally Posted By: stevem5215
Got my oil report back from Blackstone on the oil in the unknown drum.
They show it as a 10w/30 (or 30W) range. No wear metals, moisture or insolubles were found. And go on to say it looks like a standard diesel engine oil. And say it's a serviceable oil based on the tests. So it looks like I'll be using it in some equipment around here. There's only 20 gallons or so in the drum so it's not worth a million dollars but at least it won't end up in the oil recycler's barrel.
Here's the listing of the specs on it from the report:
Molybdenum 88
Silicon 4
Sodium 15
Calcium 1790
Magnesium 19
Phosphorus 1207
Zinc 1360

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 63.1
CSt Viscosity @ 100 C
Flashpoint in deg F 405

Any comments on it welcome..... not sure what those last things are for but hey I'm new to this so it's interesting at least.

Steve

Did Blackstone not give the oil at 100C Cst? Are they back to only showing at SUS 210F?

Last edited:
I didn't put all the numbers up there. Just the ones I thought meant something. The cSt Viscosity @ 100C is 11.10 Whatever that means. And the Flashpoint in F is 405.

Steve

Oh, I plan on using it. I have a Ford 1900 diesel tractor that I can use the oil in. That was my plan anyway. I just wanted to make sure that the oil was good for it and wouldn't cause me any problems.

Thanks,
Steve

Only thing I would say about it is that it 'looks' a little more like a stout PCMO rather than a HDEO...detergent levels seem a little low to be for use in a diesel....but I'm sure it will work fine...

Originally Posted By: stevem5215
Ok, What is a stout PCMO ? I'm guessing a HDEO is a "high detergent oil"

Thanks,
Steve

PCMO=Passenger Car Motor Oil(Pennzoil/QS/Havoline/Valvoline)
HDEO=Heavy Duty Engine Oil(Delo/Rotella/Premium Blue)

Ok, thanks for that info.

After having the oil tests run and getting enough info off of here I'm still a little leary of using it in anything. If I use it in my Craftsman tractor (which is 30w recommended) and other 30w products will it be a problem ? The diesel tractor is 10w-30 recommended and while it looks ok for that application I'm just wondering about the others.

Thanks,
Steve

If the equipment allows for a 30-weight oil to be used, this oil will be great for it! You can't tell from the VOA if this is a 10W-30, or a 'straight' 30-weight, so if you will be using it in cold weather, put a small amount in a bottle, and put the bottle in your freezer, and try to set it temp you something like 0 or 5 deg. F.

A straight 30-weight is usually 'good' down to something like 20 deg. F,; so at 0, it would be very, very thick. A 10W-30 would be much thinner and flow better. Or, just use this 'drum oil' in summer, and switch to a known 5 or 10W-30 in winter, so there's no risk of the engine seizing up in the cold.....

Back