Harley Davidson Synthetic 20W50, who makes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I bought a new Harley Dyna a year ago. It has the 103 cu in engine. I bought a couple of HD filters and a case of the HD 20W50 Synthetic oil. Screaming Eagle, "SYN3". This oil can be used in the engine, tranny, and primary chaincase (clutch).
The bottle says..."Developed with a proprietary three-synthetic basestock formula......". Although I don't have a bottle of Mobil 1 handy, isn't this similar to how M1 discribes their oil?

Since HD doesn't make oil, I was wondering who does???

I have a 1937 Plymouth Pro Street car (has run a best of 9.89 sec in the 1/4) and is street driven. It holds 10 qts of oil (with 2 large Fram racing filters) and uses Mobil 1. Ditto for my 1965 427 AC Cobra. I have been VERY happy with M1!

However, I have already decided that Amsoil 20W50 is the way to go in the Harley. That oil is also suitabe in all 3 locations.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Amsoil Syn Gear Oil in the transmission and what the results were versus the 20W50.....

THANKS in advance!!!

ron

Ron,

Citgo & possibly others make the Syn3 oil.

Take back or sell the Syn3.

My 07 Heritage Softail Classic has the Syn3 when I bought it slightly used. The engine & tranny sounds much better with the Amsoil in it!

Engine: Amsoil 20w-50

Primary: Amsoil 20w-50

Six Speed Tranny: Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-140 (Great film strength...)

Enjoy your ride - the ride will enjoy you.

I don't know about the synthetic but I think I heard one time that Sunoco made the conventional Harley oil.

I always heard that it was Spectro that was H-D's supplier for oil.

Originally Posted By: harley145000
citgo make all harley motor oil,and formula plus

Correct.
thumbsup2.gif

I think it was Sunoco until the bid went out for the syn 3 about 5 years or so ago then by all accounts Citgo got the contract for both. The additive package is somewhat unique. Usually shows about 1000 to 1100 ZDDP, only about 1300 Calcium, about 250 Boron, and 750 Magnesium. That is for both the Syn 3 and the dino (appears to be one additive package for both oils). Not bad oils but the price is way too high for Grp II and Grp III oils in my opinion. About $3/qt for the dino and $5/qt for Syn 3 would make more sense. Given M1 15W50 is about $4.50/qt in the 5 qt jug. I've never even considered buying Syn 3 at what, $9 - $10 per qt????

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
I think it was Sunoco until the bid went out for the syn 3 about 5 years or so ago then by all accounts Citgo got the contract for both. The additive package is somewhat unique. Usually shows about 1000 to 1100 ZDDP, only about 1300 Calcium, about 250 Boron, and 750 Magnesium. That is for both the Syn 3 and the dino (appears to be one additive package for both oils). Not bad oils but the price is way too high for Grp II and Grp III oils in my opinion. About $3/qt for the dino and $5/qt for Syn 3 would make more sense. Given M1 15W50 is about $4.50/qt in the 5 qt jug. I've never even considered buying Syn 3 at what, $9 - $10 per qt????

+1 I broke my bike in on it because the dealer changed it for free. Then the Mobil1 & redline went in. NEVER use the syn3 in your trans or you will get rough loud shifting.

I guess I look at it and practice two ways. If you are buying a Grp III with a really good additive pack how do you beat M1 15W50? That is what I use in old Betsy, the 94 RK. So the HD products don't compete. That bike has already been through 14 years of service with a number of dino oils in it at first so I don't put the premium in it now. Just M1 15W50. No engine work on that one ever and runs like a top.

For the newer bike I use Red Line (after breakin). Better base, better Add Pack, and I get it for $8.20/qt delivered to my door step when bought by the case.

So if you want a really good Grp III it has to beat M1 15W50 at $4.50/qt. If you are going to spend $9.00/qt get M1 Vtwin, Red Line, or Amsoil. Again the HD oil does not compete. They don't have anything that is price competative or performance competative.

Agree on moter oil in the tranny. Nothing but gear oil for gears in my bikes. Red Line Shook Proof Heavy for me even in old Betsy!!! Great stuff.

For what it's worth... the Harley 20W50 dino oil (the 360) is priced now at 6.25 per quart at our local dealership.

Unreal. And people still pay it.

And I'm still using Havoline 20W50 dino with no complaints and the best UOA's on the board...
wink.gif

Dan

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man
For what it's worth... the Harley 20W50 dino oil (the 360) is priced now at 6.25 per quart at our local dealership.

Unreal. And people still pay it.

And I'm still using Havoline 20W50 dino with no complaints and the best UOA's on the board...
wink.gif

Dan

...Until I post mine with Amsoil...
07.gif
LOL.gif

Syn3 is made from PAO and Bright Stock (Group I). No Group III in it.

Syn 3 is a Grp IV?? I didn't know that. Everything I've seen assumed it to be Grp III. So the Grp I is in there as a filler or for better solubility of the additive package?

Tanker Man do you have a UOA with Deposit Shield 20W50?

I don't have any with the Deposit Shield feature... but I'm doubting it's going to be any worse or better than the SL Havoline.

I've got a bud with over 5000 miles on a Twin Cam Low Rider with Havoline 20W50 in it. I'm trying to get him to first CHANGE the oil ASAP, then I want a sample of it to send to Blackstone. That should be interesting... hopefully he'll not change the oil and fail to get me the sample. I even told him I'd pay for the UOA.

tpitcher... bring on that Pablum UOA. I wanna see it. :)

Dan

The way I've been putting on miles, avg. 600 a week,
shocked2.gif
banana2.gif
it won't take long!

I have 4,000 miles on the Amsoil MCV right now!!

I'm just razzin' with that Pablum comment... :D

I'm sure the Amsoil you're using will serve you well.

Do post a UOA, though, because there aren't enough Amsoil UOA's here from Harley engines...

Dan

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
Syn 3 is a Grp IV?? I didn't know that. Everything I've seen assumed it to be Grp III. So the Grp I is in there as a filler or for better solubility of the additive package?

The Bright Stock boosts the HTHS and overall vis and aids in solubility. (Mobil does the same thing in their Mobil 1 V-Twin oil with high vis PAO and a shot of AN.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back