NHRA cuts race distance to 1000 feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Steve S
How about doing a NASCAR on them and cutting down the motor displacement to 360 cubic inches " what ever the original Hemi displacement was".

There are about a million ways to slow the cars down or make them safer, and quite a few ways to make the tracks safer. Every one of them will require investment $$ and you can't implement them in 5 minutes with the stroke of a pen.

I'm still trying to figure out what an additional 300' would have done to help Scott Kalitta. From the videos I've seen, it would have done nothing...

Last edited:
jsharp,

It would depend partly upon if the 300' area & the area leading up to it was cleared of poles or if those are a requirement for a drag strip.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
jsharp,

It would depend partly upon if the 300' area & the area leading up to it was cleared of poles or if those are a requirement for a drag strip.

Of course. If it's 300' of area with no obstructions and contains something that might help stop the cars then it'll help. If it's just another 300' of smooth track shutdown area then I don't see what it will accomplish. It sure wouldn't have helped in this last accident.

Last edited:
How about cutting the displacement back to 426 cu. in., limit the blower speed and cut back on the nitro percentage. Go back to a quarter-mile and see how it works.

Speaking of which, did anybody actually watch that joke of a race in Denver? Anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back