Show me your pedals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
diamondback0849.jpg

Those are Diamondback magnesium pedals with removable studs and with serviceable bearings.
Apparently I prefer platform platform pedals.

My buddy just loaned me a pair of Shimano SPDs to try. I wanted to get them but never knew if I'd like being clicked in. All I have to say is WOW!! I should have done this years ago.

Plunging to my screaming demise when offroading with a 40 lbs MTB firmly attached to my shoes isn't exactly my kind of thing. As for riding on terra firma, well, I don't give a hoot about speed and efficiency. Biking is an exercise for me. I don't want a worse workout through improved efficiency.
grin2.gif

Mori, I used to feel exactly the same way. I have had zero problems with my feet getting stuck or falling or anything else. Like I said above, I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

I use Crank Brothers Quattro SL's on my road machine, and Time Alium on my MTB. Both use a similar retention system, which requires no adjustment over time.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Mori, I used to feel exactly the same way. I have had zero problems with my feet getting stuck or falling or anything else. Like I said above, I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Tell me why exactly you like clip-ons or eggbeaters, and then tell me why I should also like them.

Mongoose alloy platform pedals.
mappedals.jpg

Wellago resin pedals. Note one of the reflectors fell off so I just put a piece of reflective tape. The pedals are scratched and beat up from turning sharp corners.
dbwellago.jpg

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
The pedals are scratched and beat up from turning sharp corners.

Do you wear knee guards?
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Those spikes have put a few dents in my shins.

Know that feeling
pedal.jpg

Tell me why exactly you like clip-ons or eggbeaters, and then tell me why I should also like them.

Use what works for you. For a commuter aspect, I think I would prefer the platform pedals. Trust me on this one though, when your feet have to come out of clipless pedals, THEY WILL!. :0

It's usually when you TRY to get out of them (say, at a stoplight), that you can't and fall over!

I would never try to convince someone to like something because I like it. I understand clipping in is not for everyone. I was just saying I like it and I'm surprised I didn't do it much sooner.

Many years ago I used cage pedals (toe clips) and later cleated, clip-less on my racing bikes. I did a different type riding then. With MTBs I see absolutely no need or advantage to clip-ons with my kind of riding. Actually, they'd be outright dangerous in may instances. I also get on and off my bike all the time, and when I'm on the bike I do stuff for which clip-ons are totally unsuitable. Platform pedals work the best for me. I don't need any freaky specialty shoes either. Oh, and like Mark, I do not dress up in spandex topped by a pteranodon brain bucket. If I do some crazy stuff, I wear a real helmet that can be abused more than once.

Do you wear knee guards?
LOL.gif

No, I don't wear knee guards even when riding off road. All I wear is a helment. A couple of times on a downhill off road I slipped off the pedals and the pedals smack on my shins.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
All I wear is a helment.

Don't catch a cold, don't get sunburn, don't get caught!

PS: The comment about the knee guards was a joke, because you seem to lean a lot into curves!

Don't catch a cold, don't get sunburn, don't get caught!

PS: The comment about the knee guards was a joke, because you seem to lean a lot into curves!

When I'm leaning into curves, I tend to have the pedals at the down position on the same side I'm turning. Probably a bad habit but it feels more stable to turn that way. Plus that bike has a smaller frame and has less clearance from the frame to the ground. Its easy to bottom out and hit the bottom bracket area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back