Would love to hear what people have to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...on which oil they prefer of these three,

GC 0W30/RL 5W30/ Amsoil 5W30?

I am currently running the GC, its alright, but I am open to running something else, I am almost due for my oil change.

I am leaning towards the RL right now, I almost closed the deal today, but decided I'd see what everyone has to say on here.

BTW its a 2000 GMC Envoy(Jimmy) 4.3L Vortec.

Thanks in advance to all who respond!

If you don't like changing oil then Amsoil +EAO filter for 15k miles (assuming your talking their group IV product) and UOA. If you like to change your oil out, or don't drive very far in a year then stock up on either the GC or RL with a quality filter when you see one on sale and go that route. Either way you'll lose ball joints, transmissions, fuel pumps and body parts before the motor dies. Just keep an eye on the remote oil cooler lines if it's a 4x4 because they suck and usually leak before the vehicle hits 100k miles.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Either way you'll lose ball joints, transmissions, fuel pumps and body parts before the motor dies. Just keep an eye on the remote oil cooler lines if it's a 4x4 because they suck and usually leak before the vehicle hits 100k miles.

Ha, no kidding. Don't forget the intake gaskets too...Ball joints replaced(again) MOOG this time, TRW last. I just rebuilt the 4L60E in it, and the lines to the rad are leaking, and I need to get that fixed most likly this week sometime, when I get a chance.

Still love the truck though...

Yeah the TRW ball joints didn't seem to last very long at all when I did that job some time ago in the one that I had owned. Those little hub bearing assemblies are a pricey little failure too. You either have good luck with them or they continually go out. On some models you can pull the ABS sensor/encoder out of the assembly (carefully) after removing a tamper type fastener and shoot some good grease in there to keep them going strong. There certainly were a lot of burned up 4L60E's crowding the junk yards the last time I checked too. Have fun and I hope you can get a lot more life out of the beast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back