chain oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really oil at all. I like any of the white, waxy chain lubes. They're dry and they shed so dirt doesn't stick.

White Lightnin' is the only name coming to mind right now. I think Pedro's makes a good one too.

I use Ernesto's on my chain. It seems to result in less wear as visually measured by less metal content in the cleaning solution. Also makes the chain quieter.

For other moving parts I use Finish Line DRY with Teflon.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I use Amsoil MP Heavy Duty Metal Protector (AMH) on all my HD chains - penetrates well when wet then dries waxy.

Amsoil AMH link

For more penetration and a lighter lube I use Amsoil MP Metal Protector.

Amsoil AMP link

Does the HDMP have any AW adds in it? Nothing shows up on the MSDS.

And how does Naphthenic oil qualify as synthetic?

When I get my bike I will be using leftover FP10 gun oil. Breakfree CLP should work fine and can be found just about everywhere. Eezox is a good "dry" lube which is ester based and would be good for dirty areas.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Pablo
I use Amsoil MP Heavy Duty Metal Protector (AMH) on all my HD chains - penetrates well when wet then dries waxy.

Amsoil AMH link

For more penetration and a lighter lube I use Amsoil MP Metal Protector.

Amsoil AMP link

Does the HDMP have any AW adds in it? Nothing shows up on the MSDS.

And how does Naphthenic oil qualify as synthetic?

When I get my bike I will be using leftover FP10 gun oil. Breakfree CLP should work fine and can be found just about everywhere. Eezox is a good "dry" lube which is ester based and would be good for dirty areas.

No I don't think either contain any AW additives.

The solvents and carriers are not synthetic.

The HDMP sure has been protecting the chains, chain rings and cartridge really well.

Quote:

Maybe you could use your super duper inside contacts at Amsoil and see??
wink.gif

Quote:

I see now. Amsoil left off some rather valuable info from their ingredient listing.

Interesting how the MP contains paraffin wax.

Originally Posted By: built
There are no bike shops around here, what do i use to oil the chain.

I use motor oil.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:

Maybe you could use your super duper inside contacts at Amsoil and see??
wink.gif

Quote:

I see now. Amsoil left off some rather valuable info from their ingredient listing.

Interesting how the MP contains paraffin wax.

I can ask....maybe get an answer tomorrow.

An MSDS is not a "indgredient list".

It contains some small amount of wax to leave a light coating, neither product is sold as a film free product, in fact on the contrary.

FWIW Heavy Duty Metal Protector works great on my mountain bike chain. I'm about 250lbs and when I hit an up hill assent I'm battering my chain and sprockets hard. So far HDMP works better than any of the expensive stuff at REI for my application. I've also cleaned and repacked the bearings in the front hub with Amsoil synthetic racing grease and the front tire spins quite well these days! The factory grease was practically all washed out so if you do any trail riding , mud bogging...etc. clean out the old lube and use something with more water resistance.

I used 3in1 on an older, cheap department store bike for a couple thousand miles with no ill effects over 10 years. Now that I have a nicer bike (an entry level bike shop hybrid), i was looking into this very issue. It appears 3in1 is a fine lubricant, not the top of the line, but has good components for the job: >97% light petroleum oil, fitness, oil or light grease (that's how the chain comes from the factory) is the way to go.

FWIW, looks like Amsoil HDMP is a WD-40 clone looking at the MSDS. Unless it was sticky like PJ1, I wouldn't bother.

I can assure you that it's "sticky"...I've used it as an undercoat for my Jeep's fenders for the last year. WD40 (AKA rust in a can IMO)is not getting near anything of mine anymore. With Amsoil's MP, HDMP, Silicone spray, Kroil and PB blaster I'm good to go. I used to use 3 in 1 religiously on my guns back in the day...it kept them in great shape.

Pablo, thanks for getting a response from Amsoil on that...even though it is kinda' cryptic. Must rely on viscosity alone.
21.gif

I have a can of the HDMP but have yet to use it on anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back