Yamaha FX 140

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 04 Yamaha FX140 4 stroke waverunner. I'm wondering what kind of oil and oil filter to use. I can't find anywhere online what oil filter it takes. I'm thinking its a motorcycle filter but don't know for sure and haven't been to the dealer to check. Are there any other filters to use other than Yamaha? Any recommendations for oil and filter? Thanks

What size engine is that in cc's? Also, if you have a part number for the filter, it would help. A digital photo, perhaps? It is likley the same as their bike line which has pretty much consolidated into one line of spin-on filters. If such is the case, then the Fram sizing 7317 or equivalent should work (space permitting - slightly longer).

John.

Its the 1000cc motor out of the R1 I think its called. I went and got a Yamaha filter last night and confirmed that it is the motorcycle. So who makes a good one for less than the $12 factory one? I've heard alot of bad things about Fram.

I've had good luck with Emgo filters in most my bikes. They look to be made very well and are priced right even though they are made in taiwan. Better than fram and some of the oem stuff I've seen. They usually have a part# for filter only, or filter with gasket or oring if needed.

I'ld be interested in checking out an Emgo filter if I could find one. As for an oil to use in your machine, well, you don't have to worry about a wet clutch so your hands are 'untied' as it were. I use RTS (Rotella T synthetic) in my Yamaha to good effect. And I am not alone in that view. Delvac 1 is a terrific oil. I am certain that Amsoil would make a great oil for your use. Mobil 1 15w-50 'red cap' would be good. Perhaps a good quality 10w-40 real synthetic such as Mobil MX4T bike oil (if found for the right price) would be good.

Now here's a thought: What about GC? I have been wondering if it would be a good application for my wet-clutch'ed bike. It is a rather thick thirty weight oil that may just be 'da s#it' for your ski.

Just thinkin' out loud.

John.

Well, I use a Wix/Napa Gold on my FJR 1300 which uses the exact same filter as an R1 / FZ-1. Same x-reference as the Fram 7317 so it is an inch or so longer (same diameter). Check your application for space concerns. I am constrained in diameter but not length (that could sound funny in the right circumstances...) so I use the larger Napa. It has the same by-pass setting which would be the same for your's as well. Heck of a lot cheaper. As these machines are liquid cooled, the operating temperatures of the oil will only get so high - the concern over nitile versus silicone ADBV are not as great as they are with air cooled machines. A Supertech filter from American Wall-marts would probably be just as fine a choice from what I have read (no first-hand experience).

A lot of people advise the use of M1 and Pure One filters (Mobil and Purolator respectively). I would try them if they were available here but they are not. Some people speculate that they may reduce flow somewhat due to high filtration spec's. Not too sure about that one. Some will advise the use of K & N oil filters for exactly that reason - high flow rates.

I have heard conflicting advice on the Yamaha brand filter. The cost is prohibitive in my mind and I no longer have warranty concerns. My two cents...

John.

The emgo for the rx1 sled motor is a 30-1758 from dennis kirk @ 5.99, they also stock pro series, fram, k&n, hiflofiltro brands in that filter. Not sure if the watercraft is the same but I'd bet it would be.

The sled motors use a lot of oil and take a long time to seat the rings. Wouldn't be in too big a hurry to put the super oil in her till you get some time on it. Also check the oil level often as they do use it till the rings seal. Its the same thing as the bmw story in another thread, hard coated cyls and hard rings take awhile to mate. Not like the old chrome against iron bores, or iron rings against chrome bores.

I appretiate the advice, I'm just glad I don't have to use the expensive Yamaha filter. How about oil, what do ya'll run in those bigger Yamaha engines. I just don't think there is much difference in Motorcycle and car oil.

It would likely be the same diameter and bypass setting as the RX-1, R1 or FZ-1 as they are all the same engine. And one #ell of an engine, I might add. The only possible difference might be in the length due to space concerns around the engine. However, I would expect that Yamaha will have just one filter listed for as many applications as possible. As I stated above, I can use a much longer filter (it goes on the side of the engine ahead of the shifter and could be a foot long if I wanted) yet Yamaha lists the small, regular filter.

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back