Is it ok to mix ATF with different brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it ok to mix ATF with different brand like QS, Castrol or Mobil as long as they all are the same type like Dexron III. Castrol has both domestic and import multi-vehicle ATF for my cars. Can I use either one of them? My cars are 99 and 00 Honda Accord and 97 Lexus ES300 and 96 Toyota Avalon.

yup no problem, just make sure it is the correct type. Look in your owners manual for the EXACT type otherwise you are begging for trouble. Do not go with a "works with all imports". For example my Explorer takes Mercon V. Thats it even though the counter jockeys at some places will tell ya "thats whats on the bottle don't worry about it, is it my break time yet boss?"

I wouldn't do it. Last thing i want to do is to mess around with the transmission fluid in my honda accord who's known for tranny failure. (If we are talking about AT/V6).

I'll mix oil but never transmission fluid. Although sometimes it can't be avoid because i don't drain and fill enough times to have it *fully flushed* when i switch brands.

Last edited:
If it's a fluid that is really qualified to the same spec then it's not a problem. The 'lookalike' or 'pretender' fluids are potentially a problem because there is no control.

You will find that in the DEXRON-VI spec you will find that miscibility is a requirement. Therefore, as someone else posted, if you are mixing fluids that are approved as meeting an existing specification there is no problem.

Is Mobil ATF D/M a Dexron III fluid? I seem not able to find anything directly related to Dexron III on the Mobil ATF D/M bottle. Both my 97 Lexus ES300 and my 96 Toyota Avalon call for Dexron III ATF fluid. So can I use the Mobil ATF D/M on these cars?

Originally Posted By: fpny
Is Mobil ATF D/M a Dexron III fluid? I seem not able to find anything directly related to Dexron III on the Mobil ATF D/M bottle. Both my 97 Lexus ES300 and my 96 Toyota Avalon call for Dexron III ATF fluid. So can I use the Mobil ATF D/M on these cars?

The M1 ATF is "Dexron III" in that despite being quite good, shouldn't be used in Dexron VI applications. M1 ATF should work just as well if not better than using Dexron VI in your ES300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back