1996 BMW M3 (3.2L), Motul X-Cess 5w-40, 8845 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil was in service late winter through early summer. 50/50 city/highway with fairly hard driving, no track days.

Compared to my last oil (Motul 8100 X-Max 5w-30), consumption was up to one quart every ~1100 miles, and fuel economy was down by about 1 mpg on average.

Previous UOAs here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1072306

I'm really underwhelmed by this oil. It apparently had no functional advantage over the X-Max 5w-30 in my engine, even though the engine was originally designed for a 40-weight. I think it's time to retire this formula. Rumor has it that there's an X-Max 5w-40 coming down the pipe, so maybe Motul is thinking the same thing.

XCessUOA.jpg

Welcome to my world with Motul. I suspect that Terry has already mentioned an oil to you, but take a look at my work with the RLI oil in the Audi RS4. It will most likely bring down your Fe wear.

Try Redline 5W40 it usualy is not listed on most sites but they can order it! I am betting you will like it! I got better milage with that then with M1R. I can only geuss it is all the moly in Redlines oil.

You might also consider Synergen Raceing's 0W30LTS it is a good oil and has a nice but not over the top additive package. It is part ester part PAO I think.

Unfortunately my financial position does not permit me to stray from my supply of Motul oils just yet, so my next oil will be 300V 5w-40. However, I do intend to find a good oil for long drains in this engine. I really appreciate the comments as I am using this stage of switching among different formulations to gather information and make an informed choice later on.

RI_RS4, yes, I have spoken with Terry and followed your testing. Suffice it to say that will play into my decision.

This engine really does seem to like moly. BMW's own 5w-30 is loaded with it. Let's see what happens with the 300V...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
BMW's own 5w-30 is loaded with it. Let's see what happens with the 300V...

Good luck with the 300V. I was not impressed with the 5W40, but the 5w30 might be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back