CHEVY IMPALA Oil Drain Plug and Filter Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
I inherited a 2001 Chey Impala from a close relative. The oil change light is on but I cannot find any information in the manual with regard to changing the oil. I guess this is GM's way of keeping us from doing our own maintanence work.
Anyone know where the oil filter and drain plug are located? Any special tools or procedures needed? Thank you.

Filter is likely on the front of the engine, there may be a plastic panel with two wing fasteners to undo to remove. Drain plug is towards the rear of the oil pan and angled back.

Filter is Wix 51040, Pennzoil 5W-30 works good in these engines.

If it's the 3.8, the filter may be in a weird spot (it was on my Regal) like above the crossmember.

On the 3.4L, the oil filter is at the front of the engine at the very bottom, at about a 30 degree angle. Ya just have to get it up in the air and wedge yourself underneath to get at it. Drain plug is at the rear center of the oil pan.

Indeed, as mentioned, at least with my Grand Am, you have to undo an undercarriage panel held on with 2 wing nuts to get at the filter.

Last edited:
Subaru
11.gif

except for the frikken spark plugs

That's an I/M gasket trouble prone engine. Have it checked out before you ruin the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back