Are fittings standardized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda strange topic, but wanted to know. Is the size of the nut(the part you attach the wrench to) going to be the same size, NPT or M3,5 or whatever. I have a coolant temp sensor I want to check the thread size on, but I can't get it out without taking out all of the coolant. Will the size of the wrench that fits on it indicate the size of the threads below it? I don't really have a safe place to dispose of the coolant. I am trying to fit a coolant temp gauge, and it's either T off the stock one, or cut up a hose and put a fitting in, which will also require draining coolant.

Not always....some M8's are 12mm, most 13mm, some 14 mm!

Something like a sensor - the wrench size will have little to do with thread size. Check a new part or a junkyard part or ask on a forum.....

I will just find a way to drain the coolant and see what it is. I tried the only forum I can find for daihatsus, and haven't gotten anything out of them.

The radiator should have a petcock, or just pull off the lower hose. When I'm working on a cooling system, I catch the coolant and re-use all but for the very last ounce or so.

I would look up your part online, grab a picture, open it up in photoshop and measure it that way... measure the hex diameter then the threads.

standardmotorproducts-g.jpg

I found this pic of a part for a Daihatsu Charade, which may or may not be like your Move.

Where do you find these? The engine can be found in a Daihatsu Copen, the JB-DET, but I don't know where to get the size info from. I have some time on Saturday. I may jack up the car, drain the coolant, and borrow a scooter to take a drive to the local home center and get a size on it.

Last edited:
Call around to a few parts stores (dealership too, if local), and see if anyone has the sensor in stock. If they do, go down and measure it.

That doesn't really work here. I can't even find a frigging PCV valve at the dealer. It took a week to get a fuel filter. ALso, my Japanese for that is a little lacking.

Not realy. Sounds like fun though. I will see if the GF calls, and if not, I will ask a friend to call for me, then if that doesn't work, I will drain it next weekend, before I leave for the US.

GF made a call. M14 P1.5. Now I need to find a T. Which would be cheaper, the 1/8 T with two M14 adapters, or the M14 T with 1 1/8 adapter?

That question cannot really be answered, it all depends on the availability of the parts where you are shopping.

M14 T's are not readily available here in Canada. You have to find a place that deals with metric fittings.

That's kinda the problem. I have found a source for 1/8 based stuff, that I will order with the gauges, but it would be "cheaper" as in less parts, if the T was M14 instead of 1/8"

"Less parts" does not necessarily mean cheaper since some of the odd adaptors are expensive.

There is a Toronto-based company called Adaptall that has all kinds of odd fittings...Metric,BSPP, BSPT,JIS etc. Perhaps you could get them to mail the adaptors to you.

When I get to the US in a few weeks I will check some local places. I have found just about everything but a 1/8 male M14 female online for a good price.

Ok guys, need help with a part. I found a m14 male 1/8 NPT female, ut I need to go back with a 1/8 NPT male, m14 female. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back