Why does this site freeze up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

Anyone else have the problem that the site freezes up after a few clicks on the posts? it does it on my home computer and my office computer. If I close the window and reopen IE it works fine but eventually does it again. And can anyone tell me why I visit BITOG almost everyday--and why I find Doug Hillary interesting and search his posts? Isn't it just oil we're talking about?

I don't know the answer, but it is happening to me as well, just the way you describe. I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, Windows Explorer v. 7.0.5730.11, with all the latest Windows patches....

The correct answer isn't to use Firefox, Mozilla or Opera.

The correct answer is fix the problem on Internet Explorer!

How about it, moderators?

Originally Posted By: JimR
The correct answer isn't to use Firefox, Mozilla or Opera.

The correct answer is fix the problem on Internet Explorer!

How about it, moderators?

I didn't want to download another browser. I like my Explorer.

...I reluctantly downloaded FireFox anyway, and am now glad I did. I don't use it too often, but it does downloads much more efficiently than IE, and it never has any of these "glitchy" problems.

But Bitog should work with Explorer.

I am new to computers, got my first one last summer and am still learning. I to have the freeze up constantly, I usually go to another site for awhile then come back. Very aggravating. I think BITOG should fix the problem.

The IE7 phishing filter causes random lockups of browsing on certain sites.

Tools < Phishing Filter < Turn Off .......

May fix it.

Originally Posted By: JDD
Anyone else have the problem that the site freezes up after a few clicks on the posts? it does it on my home computer and my office computer. If I close the window and reopen IE it works fine but eventually does it again. And can anyone tell me why I visit BITOG almost everyday--and why I find Doug Hillary interesting and search his posts? Isn't it just oil we're talking about?

No problems at all here. I use a MAC. As for as why you visit every day, your like the rest of us, your addicted, and it does not get any better. As for as Doug Hillary, he's as sharp as a tack with lots of real world experience.

Because too many people are doing text searches on the entire site. It has nothing to do with your browser. I notice a 20 second pause at times and I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.15. And notice the same thing with IE. At work and at home.

Last edited:
BTW there is message at the bottom of the page that tells you how long it took the servers to generate the page and how busy the backend database is.

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

No problems at all here. I use a MAC.

There's your answer. I've never had a problem with any browser on any Mac. FWIW, I use Safari and Firefox.

The problem in IE isn't being caused by the Phishing filter. I have always had mine not only turned off, but disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back