JWS 3309/mobil 3309/toyota t-iv, synthetic yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

For those that require this ATF (JWS 3309/mobil 3309/toyota t-iv or toyota type 4), you know that it's a very special oil that is demanded by certain transmissions only.

My question to bitog is; Are synthetic varieties of this oil available now? I'd like to flush my transmission and use a synthetic variety that will allow me to extend my change intervals a little bit and offer a little bit in the way of protection.

My Highlander came with T-IV. I changed it (and the power steering fluid) to Amsoil ATF and I'm quite pleased with the performance of that fluid.

I'm not aware of a synthetic version of any of the fluids you listed above. What change intervals are you seeking and in what type of vehicle?

Yes there are indeed synthetic alternatives to these factory fluids. For example, you can use either Amsoil ATF or Red Line D4 in a Toyota T-IV application. Granted they are not "Certified" or "approved" but have shown some impressive results here. I was not impressed by T-IV and switched to Red Line D4. I love it so far. I plan to do a UOA at 15K. Both amsoil and red line are spec'd to work in place of T-IV.

^^ what others have said. I have two Toyotas that use T-IV. I chose to stick with T-IV for now because I can get it locally and less expensive than Amsoil or Redline for now because I have a friend that works in parts. Both are easy to drain/fill, so I stick to a drain/fill every 15-20k miles.

T-IV isn't a very special oil, and it is used by numerous automakers in AW units. You can dig up a full synth OE equivalent from one of the euro-automakers' ATF PN list, priced like precious metals.

Longer change intervals, better cold weather performance, better hot weather protection, and longer lasting transmission...... is why I will use a synthetic ATF.

Amalie, Amsoil, BG, Wynns, Royalpurple, Redline, Schaeffers...... have full synthetic univeral multivehicle ATFs that can be used.

Don't extend your ATF OCI without a full flow ATF filter kit.

What is the big whoop about "approved"? I don't know of any auto manufacturer that "approves" aftermarket fluids, except maybe VW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tones
What is the big whoop about "approved"? I don't know of any auto manufacturer that "approves" aftermarket fluids, except maybe VW.

the problem about a non approved fluid, is that a manufacturer can deny warranty coverage if a non approved fluid is used. most manufacturers have an approval process. ford has a minimum spec, gm does the same, also do use certain names on a bottle, you must prove to the manufacturer that the fluid meets that spec.

Sorry, but I disagree. Manufacturer states the specs the lube must meet, but I have not seen any "approved" lists except maybe VW's engine oil list, which I don't believe is all-inclusive, but is just a list of oils which meet the specs. Moss-Magnusun act requires that the manufacturer list what is required to fulfill the terms of the warranty. Unless you have a list of specific permitted brands in your warranty booklet, any part that meets the specs is acceptable. The manufacturer cannot deny warranty for use of aftermarket parts unless he proves that the part is not acceptable:

"No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if -

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, ..."

My Mazda CX7 calls for T-IV. IMO, its cold performance really sucks. Any shifts for the first 5 minutes or so of warm-up aren't very smooth, whether you drive slow or fast. Once it gets up to operating temperature though its fine.

I decided to go away from the T-IV because of its poor shifting characteristics and its poor UOA results. Oh yeah, and becuase I already give Toyota enough of my money. T-IV is [censored], plain and simple. Red Line gives very smooth shifts and I am confident that Im getting a much higher level of protection, especially in the area where I live. I agree, who cares about approved?! I want the best protection and shiftability I can get. Toyota makes a great car, but last time I checked they dont operate a refinery or blend any of these "Toyota Oils" so that makes their recommendation worth nothing.

I haven't noticed any shifting problems with my T-IV trans. But I don't redline my engines, so I wouldn't know.

My mom's Toyota Solara 4-cyl called for T-IV, and I saw Amsoil ATF somewhere, and it said it would work there. I used it and was amazed.

I bought Royal Purple synthetic Dex III, and put some HFM additive in there, and it works fine for me.

I was thinking about doing a complete flush with Royal Purple Max ATF. Spoke to someone there and looked on their website. This fluid is recommended for use in JWS 3309/Toyota T-IV fluid applications. Any opinions would be great.

Last edited:
had the tranny fluid of an '99 Chevy PRIZM ( Corolla engine and tranny ) with GM A.T.F. and not a difference in shifting quality , smooth as silk 4 speed auto . Think about it , the PRIZM ( Corolla ) calls for GM tranny fluid , while the COROLLA calls for TOYO A.T.F. , it's a marketing thing to use their products and service departments . SCARE TACTICS ? As for the new '09 PONTIAC VIBE ( COROLLA , MATRIX engine / tranny ) and '09 MATRIX ( '09 COROLLA ) not sure , may have to look into it ( or others could ;-)). GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
T-IV for '09 VIBE , GM part # . As for manual gear oil '09 VIBE uses synthetic gear oil .

Last edited:
smokey1,
Many of my neices and nephews have owned Corollas/Prizms from 2001 on down to about 1992 and all have called for Dexron ATF. Wheather the OM calls for GM or Toy ATF it's still DexIII for those vehicles(1999) as you mentioned. Never seen a Corolla/Prizm of that gen that called for T-IV.

Anyone here have a VW with the 09G Tiptronic aka TF60SN and use Amsoil ATF? How is it working for you and have you had it in long? My VW uses JWS-3309 which seems to- be the same as type T-IV. I am just trying to get to know if I can use a different fluid than VW's fluid. I am using type T-IV in it now for nearly 30,000 miles and I am just looking to see if anything else is safe to use in that car.

type T-IV seems to be the same stuff VW sells but in different bottles. If you ever buy type T-IV from a Toyota dealer you might notice that the bottles look like Mobil 1 bottles just with Toyota's labels on them because I am not sure if any auto maker produces their own fluids for their cars rather than just rebranding a fluid that meets their specs.

I have been using Pennzoil Multivehicle ATF in my Saab (3309 application.) 3309 and T-IV applications are listed on the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back