NHRA cuts race distance to 1000 feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the "1/4" should always remain the 1/4.

Cut back on displacement, lop 2 cylinders off, something. But keep the 1/4

this idea has popped up from time to time over the years. always the same complaints, history, tradition, yadda yadda. thing is, they weren't running 300mph in the '50s! I know people are emotional over it, but it's just car racing. it's essentially an expensive hobby. even w/o drag racing (or any motorsports eventually I'm sure) life goes on, believe it or not.
all the historic records will still be there (they've all been broken anyway), so it'll just stand as a touchstone, that in 2009, the standard changed; there will be 'before' and 'after' ET's, that's all.

How lame!

I say simply cancel all events at tracks with small runoffs, like Pomona & Englishtown.

Yeah those tracks are historic but not as historic as the 1/4 mile!

Originally Posted By: mpvue
this idea has popped up from time to time over the years. always the same complaints, history, tradition, yadda yadda. thing is, they weren't running 300mph in the '50s! I know people are emotional over it, but it's just car racing. it's essentially an expensive hobby. even w/o drag racing (or any motorsports eventually I'm sure) life goes on, believe it or not.
all the historic records will still be there (they've all been broken anyway), so it'll just stand as a touchstone, that in 2009, the standard changed; there will be 'before' and 'after' ET's, that's all.
I can agree. I feel that way about most any spectator sport"s"

Originally Posted By: Lumberg
How lame!

I say simply cancel all events at tracks with small runoffs, like Pomona & Englishtown.

Yeah those tracks are historic but not as historic as the 1/4 mile!

I totally agree.

Bandimere in Denver is perfectly safe for 1/4 mile racing - the run off area goes uphill for another 1/4 mile and then there is about an 1/8 mile sand pit with huge nets at the very end.

Not concrete barricades and a crane.
smirk2.gif

why not just employ an aircraft carrier emergency landing net at the end of the track?

the plane weighs more. almost going the same speed.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
why not just employ an aircraft carrier emergency landing net at the end of the track?

the plane weighs more. almost going the same speed.

Some tracks have that.

I think they still stop the average car too quickly and/or damage the car too much.

Big difference between an f-16 and a dragster.

I gave up on NHRA a long time ago. Now, I'd rather go to my local IHRA track and root for my Mopars in bracket racing.Pittsburgh Raceway Park is getting an IHRA national event in 2010 anyway so I can always catch my nitro fix there.

NHRA is ignoring the fact that Kalitta's chutes failed to open. It doesn't matter how much shutdown area you have if the chutes don't open. You're just along for the ride when that happens.

Originally Posted By: Chris71
NHRA is ignoring the fact that Kalitta's chutes failed to open. It doesn't matter how much shutdown area you have if the chutes don't open. You're just along for the ride when that happens.

Correct.

This will not help the NHRA. The owners and drivers like it but it kills the history and what will happen if something happens @ 1000 ft? Go to 1/8th then to 500 ft?

It is a dangerous sport. I think if anything if the chutes are not out at 1/4 mile have some sensor pop them out when they pass that mark.

Bill

All the fuel races now will be whoever gets the holeshot and it's over. No more top-end charges. I'm going over to IHRA where they still run 1320 in the fuel classes and run mountain motored Pro Stocks. NHRA can go defunct for all I care.

I think a better solution would have been to change the fuel mix. 50% methanol, 50% nitromethane. This would also help with the engine failure item mentioned in the article.

GUESS WHAT GUYS!!! THEY DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK. IT'S THE RACERS WHO MATTER!!
The board members of the Professional Racers Owners Organization (PRO) wholeheartedly and unanimously support this decision,” said its president Kenny Bernstein. “We want to thank NHRA for listening to our input and suggestions to incorporate these changes. It is not lost on any of us that this constitutes a change in our history of running a quarter-mile, but it's the most immediate adjustment we can make in the interest of safety which is foremost on everyone's mind. This may be a temporary change and we recognize it is not the total answer. We will continue to work hand in hand with NHRA to evaluate other methods of making Top Fuel and Funny Car competition safer so that we might return to our quarter-mile racing standard. We also want to thank Connie Kalitta for his invaluable input. He has been a rock through these difficult times.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back