I am smelling coolant but not seeing it or leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't smell it 'inside' the car. I had all 4 windows down and only got a whiff of it that day in traffic. That is why I thought it was somebody else. Then, the day I parked my car and smelled it, I only smelled it once I had gotten out of my car and had just stepped up to the drivers side mirror.

I was wondering about the t-stat housing myself since it is directly under the area I smelled the strongest odor at.

Making the parts store run today. I have just been way too busy.

I had a similar feeling about our CRV...when I pull it into the garage there's this 'chemicalish smell' that I thought was coolant.

But there were no visible leaks and the level never changed. I'm thinking it might be the windshield washer fluid...it is right there by the driver and probably gets warmed up by the engine enough to vaporize some of it.

On a side note, my nose has saved me in the past. I smelled my Civic's very slow power steering fluid leak for awhile, noticed the level had gone down some, then researched online that there was a TSB on it!

Going way off topic, if you ever want a foul smell in your garage take a shortcut behind a supermarket that has a leaky dumpster. Washed the car twice and that stank was still noticeable.

You can also have a pressure test done or have the Carbon dioxide test done. That should tell you if you have leak or a blown headgasket.
I just had my Trans Am do that. Couldn't find the dirty offender, finally I got some spray on the hood from the belt turned out to be the water pump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
What does coolant smell like? I heard it actually smells like sweet candy when its vaporized.

That smell is the azole-based corrosion inhibitor. Tolytriazole is a fairly common coolant inhibitor that is included for copper-bearing alloys.

My 2001 Taurus with 120,000 miles has that smell at times too. Had the water pump changed a while ago. No obvious puddles either. Got to keep my eye on it.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
I have a 2004 Taurus w/ 3.0 Vulcan. Around 2 weeks ago I swore I smelled coolant while idling in traffic. I chalked it up to one of the beaters around me.

Well, when I parked my car yesterday at home I got another whiff of it, so I knew it was my car.
Ah, i see your problem, it's a FORD!

Originally Posted By: ZZman
My 2001 Taurus with 120,000 miles has that smell at times too. Had the water pump changed a while ago. No obvious puddles either. Got to keep my eye on it.

I've found coolant leaks by wrapping toilet paper around the suspect joint or seep hole. Even if it drys out before you get a chance to look at it you can tell it's been wet by the way the paper is distorted or even discolored.

Obviously you will get false positives in a rainstorm or if you drive through standing water.

I have the exact same issue with my new Ford Fusion 3L v6. Sometimes while idling in traffic or when shutting down the car I can smell coolant. It never smells inside the car, only from the outside. Poking my head around the engine bay when it is hot it seems most prevalent behind the driver side headlight. The odd part is that there is no real significant coolant part in that area. I had the dealer look at it, they pressure tested the system and found no issues. My coolant doesn't seem to drop either. I just wonder if the coolant system lets off excess pressure or gas from time to time and that is what I am smelling. It has a click on cap on the coolant overflow tank, much like your typical gas cap, and the coolant tank is pressurized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back