Isn't it funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In gasoline oils, Pennzoil is considered king and Shell is a discount oil but in diesel oils Shell Rotella is considered top-tier and Pennzoil Long Life is considered lower tier.Weird

Originally Posted By: HM12460
i always kinda figured mobil 1 was a better product for either. guess it depends on who you ask.

Same here......... M1 and Delvac 1...........

You guys have Mobil 1 so far up your a** that you can't even stay on topic. Jeez!

Originally Posted By: Chris71
You guys have Mobil 1 so far up your a** that you can't even stay on topic. Jeez!

A touch bitter are we?

Not bitter in the least. I just expect an answer that doesn't contain Mobil 1 when I didn't ask about Mobil 1. I'm beginning to notice that everytime somebody tries to irritate me I turn around and you're there.

Not bitter in the least. I just expect an answer that doesn't contain Mobil 1 when I didn't ask about Mobil 1. I'm beginning to notice that everytime somebody tries to irritate me I turn around and you're there.

So, because other people (as obviously indicated by the fact that I quoted somebody else in my reply) don't agree with your initial observation, and instead happen to feel that another brand happens to fill that slot, and you get what would appear to be obviously flustered about this..... That this somehow makes us bad people.... Because we like Mobil 1?

Last time I checked this was a site about oil. We all have different results and different opinions on which oils are the best. When you post a statement that about two oils being the top of their game, and other people don't feel those two oils fall in those slots and that THEIR OPINION (after all, this is just opinion backed by experience) is that M1 fits that bill, it's instantly about whoring M1 and nothing more?

You need to relax dude. It's a forum. About oil. Some of us like M1.

It's not a big deal.

Delvac Dino 15W40 has probably been inmore 2-3 million mile disels then any other oil even though I think that Delo is over all a better product. In the end though any of the big name 15W40 is going to protect great just stay away from Castrols Disel oils those things shear like crazy even in gassers!

In gasoline oils, Pennzoil is considered king and Shell is a discount oil but in diesel oils Shell Rotella is considered top-tier and Pennzoil Long Life is considered lower tier.Weird

Well, since this topic started about Pennzoil and Rotella, I assumed Chris71 was talking about conventional oils. So I will stay with the conventional oil theme.

I would take Pennzoil in the YB any day over any conventional PCMO that Exxon/Mobil has to offer. And, I would take Rotella T 15W-40 any day over Mobil Delvac or Chevron Delo in the conventional line. Don't think for a moment that Shell does not have many million mile test on the Rotella T.

Now if Chris71 was talking about synthetics I am loyal to Platinum and RTS, but Mobil 1 and especially Delvac 1 are hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Well, since this topic started about Pennzoil and Rotella, I assumed Chris71 was talking about conventional oils. So I will stay with the conventional oil theme.

I would take Pennzoil in the YB any day over any conventional PCMO that Exxon/Mobil has to offer. And, I would take Rotella T 15W-40 any day over Mobil Delvac or Chevron Delo in the conventional line. Don't think for a moment that Shell does not have many million mile test on the Rotella T.

Now if Chris71 was talking about synthetics I am loyal to Platinum and RTS, but Mobil 1 and especially Delvac 1 are hard to beat.

Just curious why you would take Rotella over Delo and Delvac...For me the difference between Delo and Delvac is a flip of the coin, I started using Delo and had great results so that is what I continue to use. Is there something about Delo and Delvac that you find inferior?

From test I've seen in the past it's just my opinion that Shell uses a better additive package and a better VI improver than Chevron or Mobil. If I were in the trucking business, and if I was going to use a conventional 15W-40 it would be Rotella T. If I could not get that for some reason, my next choice would be the Chevron Delo 400. But, if were in the trucking business I would be using Delvac 1 5W-40 as my opinion is it is the best bang for the buck out there.

I am in the commercial insurance business. I have several trucking clients and I ask them just out of curiosity what oil they run in their trucks. 3 out of 4 use dino Rotella. The others use Delo. They average 35,000 OCI. Shell's bread and butter is the commercial market. Every company has it's oil niche. Pennzoil's target market seems to be the quicky lube and DIY market. Pennzoil has had to overcome their past substandard product image and those who did not like Penn back in the day(like me) just have a hard time buying the yellow bottle even though they have good product now, especially PP. I only buy M1 and Valvoline now. My high school (late 1970s) auto mech teacher was a Valvoline guy, and he raced in his off time. I got my buying habits from him and my older brother who always used M1 or valvoline in his high performance vehicles. Perceptions are hard to break.

From what I've seen they pride themselves on servicing regional transporters and offer amazing fleet pricing. I know of 3 large fleet operations in the consumer products distribution business (each with over 5,000 trucks) that live on Delo and nothing else due to the cashflow vs. performance. Last I saw their pricing on Delo 400 LE was gallon and their SAE 50 synthetic transmission fill was beyond inexpensive for the quality. I didn't think that their non-synthetic grease was a great bargain though...it seemed to really oxidize quickly and the oil would come out of suspension.

Yeah, one brand doesn't always work well for every application. You have to find what works for you.

Originally Posted By: SonyAD
I don't trust Mobil 1.

I admit that M1 has messed with formulas so often and dropped a product line and added a line so often, it has given me some head scratching moments as to what to buy for everything that I own to the point that I really don't trust them as much as I used to. It's such a time consuming venture to find what oil is best for each application and it is annoying at the very least when there are so many changes. I have been buying more Valvoline syn lately for the vehicles, and I sure as He** won't buy their 4-stroke oil for the bikes. I loaded up on CI-4 Rotella 5-40 for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back