Converting my old MB to disc brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks - would it possible to convert my old MB to disc brakes? Would I need complete whole wheels? Just need to have some educated options without going Google.

new wheels, caliper mounting tabs welded onto the frame and fork, and of course the brakes themselves. it's a big deal, hardly worth it, IMO.

Pablo,
I've been down this road about 5 years ago. trust me, it's definitely not worth the trouble to retro-fit. A new disc-equipped bike can be had for less than you might imagine.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Folks - would it possible to convert my old MB to disc brakes? Would I need complete whole wheels? Just need to have some educated options without going Google.

A rear disc brake is pretty much not required, because the rear wheel isn't used all that much for breaking. Even if you weigh 300 pounds you should be able to lock your rear wheel with a properly adjusted V-brake.

A front disc brake will improve stopping power (to the point of you making a neat endo), especially in adverse weather conditions (wet rim), but your fork must be strong enough to handle the forces a disc break will exert near the center of the wheel. Make sure the fork and the drop-out design are compatible with a disc brake, or your wheel may come right out the fork. Your bike's frame and fork may not have the necessary mounting tabs.

The wheel itself must be strong enough to handle disc break. A suitable 26" front wheel starts at $90 or so.

Should you decide to upgrade to disc brake, I would stick with a mechanical brake (AVID BB7) for the front.

My friend wanted to put discs on his bike. The front was easy by swapping the fork to one with the bosses on the left leg. For the rear, we installed this thing called Brake Therapy. It bolts to a threaded hole on the rear of the triangle and up to the left side brake boss and then the caliper bolts to it. Worked really well, but in the end, he sold the bike for what he had into it and bought a new FS Stumpjumper.
It wasn't an insane amount of money because we always shop closeouts and year end stuff.

Unless you bike is disc brakes ready then I probably wouldn't upgrade. I've seen some bikes with front disc brakes and the rim brakes on the rear. That might be a good option, you get the best of both worlds. If you just upgrade the front only and bike is not disc brake ready then you probably need new wheels and fork.

Honestly I don't like disc brakes that much, its a bit of a hassle to set the pads just right so they don't rub the rotors (dragging brakes) while moving.

If your current V-brakes are powerful enough to throw you across the bars when you brake hard, then upgrading to discs won't bring much additional benefits. I have Avid BB7s on my bike, and I think a properly set up mid-high end V-brake will give about the same stopping power.

Originally Posted By: chrome
I have Avid BB7s on my bike, and I think a properly set up mid-high end V-brake will give about the same stopping power.

I agree, if you are talking about riding in dry conditions and if you are not going down extremely long and steep hills -- in those cases having disc brakes makes a real difference. I have been planning on adding a BB7 to the front, but I never seem to get around to it, mostly because with my type of riding V-brakes are sufficient, and because I don't ride in the rain.

Depending on the disc brake caliper design and type of pads, the extra effort to maintain a disc brake setup may not be worth it. My old system was a Hayes mechanical, and the pads squealed badly when hot, and it was very hard to adjust to stop the pads rubbing and making that annoying dragging noise. Uneven pad wear was also a problem.

Hydraulic systems need regular bleeding to maintain optimum performance.

Now you know why not to get Hayes disc brakes. I often use a friend's bike that has the Avid BB, and it's trouble-free. While I'm somewhat gadget oriented, I do like to KISS and I really wouldn't want hydraulics on a bicycle.

I've got Avid BB5's and despite hearing a few negative comments about being difficult to adjust, I find them eays top adjust without any tool, and I don't need to adjust them much anyway. I have no rubbing on the rotors, no annoying noises, and they will stop the bike in a hurry, wet or dry. Love 'em.
Pablo, if you do decide to get a new wheel/hub, I recommend Sun Ditch Witch. I've been banging around, over and into all kinds of things, wheels are still as true as they came, never yet had as much as a loose spoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back