intentional overfill by "healthy" amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most engines will run just fine a quart down on oil. I see litte point in worring about 1/4 quart in 4,000 miles. Mine uses 1/2 quart in 5,000 miles and I just top off at 5,000 miles and run till 10,000, never have a problem.

Your engine uses 1/4 quart in 4,000 miles, eh?

What is your normal OCI?

This amount does not seem to me to be anything other than normal consumption for that mileage or in a normal period of time.

I can't imagine that small a deficit could affect performance or engine life. Nor should an extra 8 oz. of oil harm anything (IMHO) in a 5 quart system. There is probably that much error in the combination of level ground, cold vs. hot, dipstick calibration, ambient light, wiping technique, etc.
dunno.gif

Cheers!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
Your engine uses 1/4 quart in 4,000 miles, eh?

What is your normal OCI?

This amount does not seem to me to be anything other than normal consumption for that mileage or in a normal period of time.

I can't imagine that small a deficit could affect performance or engine life. Nor should an extra 8 oz. of oil harm anything (IMHO) in a 5 quart system. There is probably that much error in the combination of level ground, cold vs. hot, dipstick calibration, ambient light, wiping technique, etc.
dunno.gif

Cheers!
cheers.gif

normal OCI is between 4k-5k miles.
car has 105k total miles

Thanks for input from everyone.

As most of you said, it probably doesn't make a difference, but:
I might just add about 1/4 qt more, I just feel good knowing that the level is either 1/4 qt more or at max., and not 1/4 below
smile.gif

As others have said that amount is O.K. but don't go more. Honestly that consumption doesn't warrant extra caution but if it makes you feel good..go for it. Better to have a little extra than not enough. I always overfill mine by about 4 ounces.

Most cars can tolerate up to 1 qt of overfill with no problems. If you keep it to 1/2 a quart overfilled you should never have any issues at all. It is common to overfill up to 1 qt for SCCA raceing in your daily driver.

All three of my 90s Fords manuals say engine damage or leaks may occur if the oil level is beyond the "F" in the word Full on the dipstick. That mark is about 5/8-inch above actual full mark (top of hatchured area) and I typically run mine halfway between the full mark and the "F." I have a couple times had it right up to the "F" with no apparent problems.

It would depend a lot on the engine. in a 7 qt capacity, 1 qt isn't much, but in a 3.5 qt capacity, it is a lot.
A lot of engines have their own way of consuming until it gets to the "right" level. I know of a number of them that will go down to the half-way mark pretty quick, then not drop til the change.
Others like to be full.

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
It would depend a lot on the engine. in a 7 qt capacity, 1 qt isn't much, but in a 3.5 qt capacity, it is a lot.
A lot of engines have their own way of consuming until it gets to the "right" level. I know of a number of them that will go down to the half-way mark pretty quick, then not drop til the change.
Others like to be full.

Good point. One would be wise to monitor consumption rates at normal level vs overfill. Of course if the consumption thickens the oil by loss of the lighter components, it could result in lower consumption due to the thickening effect. I don't know, just a thought.

I think oil in a 4.6 cougar or t-bird runs on the hot side, thats one thing I noticed with my 4.6 cougar, the oil is hotter than my 4.6 grand marquis. and I think the high heat causes the oil (dino) to shear down faster

Anywhere in the safe zone (between the full and add marks) on the dipstick is good. Even if you over fill it, it will still use 1/4 quart.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
My wife's 98 Civc EX requires 3.5 quarts of oil. When I change the oil/filter I put 4 quarts. I have never had any problems with an extra 1/2 quart of oil.

I even put a little more in my wife's 2000 Civic EX than you do, I put in 4.2L, which is about 4.4 quarts.

I also overfill my Corvette. It calls for 6.5 quarts but I put in 7 liters.

I always overfill by a little bit. When things get busy around here it may be 10,000km before I get to check the level again so I consider it added insurance. My cars consume very little oil but I just can't stand seeing the level below full.

Just got my X-Trail today, looked in manual and found the oil capacity is 4.1 litres, going to put in 4 litres even each OCI, I can be down to add and be safe. If I overfill my oil will go into air filter on the QR25DE, not much good to me there, might as well let oil lubricate engine parts rather than air filled oil doing 1/4 job and stifling air flow in filter. Less is sometimes more, 1/8 inch down from full mark on dipstick doesn't keep me up at night, oil on my air filter and loss of lubrication due to air in oil does. This is from my Nissan experience.

Cyprs

I was wondering....

My 4.6L mod consumes about 1/4 oil in ca 4000 miles.
Because it does it anyway, can it be useful to overfill by, -say about 1/4 qt+/- or so to compensate for the little loss of oil, so that I can be sure that the needed amount of oil is "always" present, so that the engine is always well-lubricated? (capacity is 5 qts)?

I mean, a little more in harmless amounts is better than little less; or is that senseless?

or can it be dangerous, and cause foaming/frothing of the oil?
is this a nutty idea or are there people who do this intentionally?
What would you advice?
Thanks.

Over filling is not good, but, 1/4 of a qt won't hurt it. I would add as you go. I hate engines that burn oil. One reason I won't buy the Acura RSX-S.

I think it depends on the engine. A common practice with my BMW is to overfill by a quart to prevent oil starvation during tracking,spirited driving. Is this by design? I do not know but it doesn't cause problems and the term "oil starvation"
spaz.gif
freak2.gif
makes me cringe!!

1/4 qt in 4000 miles in not huge consumption, but overfilling by 1/4 qt....well I doubt that small amount over will make much diff. Your choice. I like to fill exactry to the full mark so I can watch it from a known point.

1/4 qt over in most cars will not be noticeble whilst running.

I guess it does depend on the engine. I know, and it has been reported on a few forums, that the 1.5l engine in the Prius is definitely affected by overfilling. It can impact the overall mileage by 2 mpg and can potentially damage the engine, since the variable valve timing is controlled by oil level/pressure.

My wife's 98 Civc EX requires 3.5 quarts of oil. When I change the oil/filter I put 4 quarts. I have never had any problems with an extra 1/2 quart of oil.

I wouldn't do it in a diesel but you haven't got one. If you overfill a VW diesel it will whip the oil around and up through the valve cover vent. From there the oil will go into the intake and your engine will run WFO until it runs out of oil and/or blows up.
cheers.gif
If your brakes are good enough you can try to lock up the wheels and stall the engine, otherwise you're in for one **** of a ride.

Cheers, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back