HARLEY DAVIDSON ENGINE OIL QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

HD thrives on brand loyality. In fact, they make as much money on merchandising (branded name sales such as shirts, hats, coffee mugs, clocks, playing cards, etc) as they do on bikes. The loyality to HD runs deep in many people. They will buy anything HD because they have been trained (or brainwashed, in my opinion) to believe that HD is simply the "best" of everything.
Yup, and probably all of there junk is made in CHINA!!

Yes some things are most likely made in China. I for one would like to see an all American made Harley, but with Showa forks and Brembo brakes, it is just a fact of lfe. If HD uses parts made in Japan that are of a better quality then they can get here, then I have no problem with that. But I am not a fan of China and go out of my way not to buy anything made there. So with that said, when I buy HD stuff I always look at the label in an attempt to see where the item is made. So far I have found very few things, other than clothing and some small "bling" type stuff labeled made in China. So to say all of their stuff is made in China is a bit over stating the truth. Now let's all get back to talking about HD oil.

I'm going to do an OIA when I get my Black Stone kit. Hopefully it gets to my house before I change the oil, as I hate to have to save some oil during the oil change. I would much rather have the kit with me so I can put the oil in and send it off. While I am talking about OIA, how much oil do I need to save if the kit has not arrived by the time I change my oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MULESKINNER
Originally Posted By: daves66nova

HD thrives on brand loyality. In fact, they make as much money on merchandising (branded name sales such as shirts, hats, coffee mugs, clocks, playing cards, etc) as they do on bikes. The loyality to HD runs deep in many people. They will buy anything HD because they have been trained (or brainwashed, in my opinion) to believe that HD is simply the "best" of everything.
Yup, and probably all of there junk is made in CHINA!!

Yes some things are most likely made in China. I for one would like to see an all American made Harley, but with Showa forks and Brembo brakes, it is just a fact of lfe. If HD uses parts made in Japan that are of a better quality then they can get here, then I have no problem with that. But I am not a fan of China and go out of my way not to buy anything made there. So with that said, when I buy HD stuff I always look at the label in an attempt to see where the item is made. So far I have found very few things, other than clothing and some small "bling" type stuff labeled made in China. So to say all of their stuff is made in China is a bit over stating the truth. Now let's all get back to talking about HD oil.

I'm going to do an OIA when I get my Black Stone kit. Hopefully it gets to my house before I change the oil, as I hate to have to save some oil during the oil change. I would much rather have the kit with me so I can put the oil in and send it off. While I am talking about OIA, how much oil do I need to save if the kit has not arrived by the time I change my oil?

There is no vehicle left in the world that does not contain parts made in China. Even Rolls Royce & Bently have China made parts. Too bad. As for the Harley "brainwashing" those comments have no place on this forum IMO.

Last edited:
I believe that a good quality HDEO diesel oil such as Rotella, Delo, or Delvac would be awesome in you HD 96er.

The advantage to the big HD engines is that the oil ONLY circulates in the engine; no tranny or clutch to worry about. So the oil only has to concentrate on the engine. Sure, it's air cooled and not liquid cooled. But I don't think that the oil get's much hotter in the HD engine than a typical turbo-diesel truck, which sends the oil into the exhaust heated turbo bearings, while under a hard pull with a load such as a travel trailer. Seriously, a typical HD engine is no harder on oil than a turbo-diesel.

My friend has a couple of HD's; a Springer, and an Electra Glide Standard. He has oil temp gage dipsticks installed. His typical temp range while in motion on the the back roads is around 200-210 degF. Only while stopped for long periods in traffic does it rise; sometimes up to 240 degF or so. That's not outrageous.

I have tried, often unsuccessfully, to convince HD riders that a quality conventional HDEO is the way to go. Typically better oil than the HD brand, at a way better price.

And warranty (which is only 1 year, typically) shouldn't be an issue because they admit up front that HDEO is an acceptable alternative. Harley-Davidson oil is nothing special; in fact, it's quite ordinary, really. Look up some of the past VOA's.

The choice is up to you. $10/quart for average oil, or $2.50 a quart for premium HDEO; which do you prefer? BTW - their oil filters are nothing special either, unless by special you mean "overpriced". Get a black or chrome Wix and be happy there, too.

This post reveals absolutely NOTHING about a Harley Davidson TC engine which released in 1999-2000. If it did the author would understand that oil temps in some of the newer TC96 engines will easily hit 300F. Temperature readings taken with IR thermometers at the spark plug on these engines have often been recorded at 350-400F. Too bad this is just a feeble attempt at Harley bashing as I take exception to the "brainwashing" comment. BTW, the HD warranty has been two years for some time. If you don't own this motorcycle you should not attempt to give technical advice on it. It is misleading to others. Anyone with a HD owners manual can go to page 3 and see that a HDEO oil is an alternate choice over a 20w50 which is the manufacturers first recommendation. No big secret. Just because this person doesn't like Harley Davidson products doesn't mean in any way that they are inferior.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1
There is no vehicle left in the world that does not contain parts made in China. Even Rolls Royce & Bently have China made parts.

Please substantiate that claim by stating which parts on a Bentley or RR are made in China.

As for my Harley, I've not seen a single part on it labeled "Made in China." Mexico, yes. Australia, yes. USA, yes. But not China.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
There is no vehicle left in the world that does not contain parts made in China. Even Rolls Royce & Bently have China made parts.

Please substantiate that claim by stating which parts on a Bentley or RR are made in China.

As for my Harley, I've not seen a single part on it labeled "Made in China." Mexico, yes. Australia, yes. USA, yes. But not China.

Ok here you go: http://www.rolls-royce.com/careers/china/intro.jsp

All that page is talking about is an internship program in China and Singapore with Rolls-Royce PLC*, which doesn't have anything to do with Rolls-Royce automobiles.

*I take it you don't realize that's Rolls-Royce PLC is the aerospace company (jet engines, etc.) and is not connected in any way (except for the name) with Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, Ltd., which is a wholly owned by BMW.

All that page is talking about is an internship program in China and Singapore with Rolls-Royce PLC*, which doesn't have anything to do with Rolls-Royce automobiles.

*I take it you don't realize that's Rolls-Royce PLC is the aerospace company (jet engines, etc.) and is not connected in any way (except for the name) with Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, Ltd., which is a wholly owned by BMW.

I am well aware of that. RR is now part of the BMW supply chain which is definitely global. In the past RR had about 80% UK content in it's vehicles. I'm waiting to get an answer back on thier exact content/country of origin right now this model year. I'll post it when I get it.

Please substantiate that claim by stating which parts on a Bentley or RR are made in China. Non-ferrous castings for powertrain Pierburg Shanghai Ltd. BMW has a huge supplier network and now makes lots of China made clones they are selling in Europe. RR is part of BMW Group so they use the same supplier network for sure

Front forks made by Wuxi Zhenhua Ltd. Not sure if the engine cases are made there yet or not as Pierburg is a big HD casting supplier as well

Last edited:

Please substantiate that claim by stating which parts on a Bentley or RR are made in China. Non-ferrous castings for powertrain Pierburg Shanghai Ltd. BMW has a huge supplier network and now makes lots of China made clones they are selling in Europe. RR is part of BMW Group so they use the same supplier network for sure

Front forks made by Wuxi Zhenhua Ltd. Not sure if the engine cases are made there yet or not as Pierburg is a big HD casting supplier as well

You are so out to lunch on this. Wuxi Zhenhua makes replacement forks for HD bikes.

Originally Posted By: MULESKINNER
The front forks on HD touring bikes are made by Showi of Japan.

True: Showa has most of their MC fork manufacturing plants in China, Thailand and India. They have an automotive shock plant in Ohio that makes struts and air springs. If you keep looking you will find some electrical parts made in China as well. The new Rocker release was held up by lighting quality problems with thier Chinese supplier.

Bottom line: There is no more 100% made in the USA anything in the automotive/truck/mc sector.

Last edited:

Well since YOU haven't seen it...it must not exist.
smirk2.gif
Like HD is going to allow any supplier to stamp made in China on your bike. Please.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Tatoos, the most important HD accessory !

Is there something wrong with you?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Tatoos, the most important HD accessory !

Is there something wrong with you?
smirk2.gif

JAB= Just Another Basher....
whistle.gif

Ok I have a dumb question.

My boss's kid built a hardtail in our shop. He bought an S&S engine. It looks like a HD engine.

Anyway the kid is an iddiot. If anybody can blow up an engine he can. So far he has not had any trouble with it.

He has changed the oil once and used Revtec (whatever that is). He lives in vegas and rides 200m each way on the thing quite often.

Are the S&S engines that much better than a HD engine?

No... but they are probably as good. An HD would do the same thing you mention without a problem

S&S engines are expensive, depending on model can run up near ten grand.

S&S has some engines on the drag strip which are doing very well against the Suzukis. And of course the Vance & Hines V-rod engines actually had to have a handicap put on them (an additional 40 pounds of weight on the bike) because Suzuki complained a couple years ago. But Suzuki is still losing quite often to the V&H Harleys and the S&S powered Buells... funny how the tables have turned.
wink.gif

Dan

I honestly, sincerely, and totally do not understand all the passion -- pro and con -- over Harley Davidson. But whatever.

The simple truth is ... the Honda flat-six is the engine for all purposes. C'mon ... it's self-evident. It's at least three times better than a two-cylinder H-D engine.
wink.gif

Y'all just have to lighten up on the intensity. It's just a bike ... it's just a brand. There's more important things to argue/discuss ... like ... like ...

Oil!

I've got Rotella 15W-40 Triple Protection back in my Goldwing. It was 110 out today and I went for a ride. Shifting was fine; indicated engine temperature was fine; acceleration was fine; startup was fine ... I'm telling ya, that oil is simply wonderful.

Sunruh ... if you're reading this ... I'm sorry to report I'm pulling back my financial resources from the high-priced motorcycle oil sector. It's Rotella for me from here on out.

11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back