Novice Here Seeking Input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Nitrogen does a good job of lightening your wallet. That's the only change you will notice.

Not so. The primary benefits are more stable temps in the tyres but the kicker for me is that loss of "air" from the tyre is greatly reduced. I lose 1PSI per year per tyre on Nitrogen. This means I don't have to check the tyres weekly. Time saver for me

In general, bigger tires looks great but it will reduce your mpg, unless you can use tire with less width which means less traction.

Originally Posted By: LexusAussie
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Nitrogen does a good job of lightening your wallet. That's the only change you will notice.

Not so. The primary benefits are more stable temps in the tyres but the kicker for me is that loss of "air" from the tyre is greatly reduced. I lose 1PSI per year per tyre on Nitrogen. This means I don't have to check the tyres weekly. Time saver for me

Ditto. Nitrogen will not "leak" thru the tire walls like conventional air will. Also, since it is a processed gas, it has none of the contaminates of air. Darn good idea if you have access to nitrogen supply when checking pressure or if you get a flat. Pressures remain consistent and it is easier on the tire as well.

I am running PP 5w30 in my Yukon and after about 18,000 miles of it have seen a nice 2-3 mpg increase over Mobil1 5w30. I over inflate mt tires 5psi, clean the fuel system with Redline S-1, and change the air filter every 20k. I only use Shell 87 gas. I also manually unadjusted my emergency brake a couple of clicks. I have all synthetic oil in the entire drivetrain, engine, tcase, both diffs & p/s pump.

My 6.0L GMC YukonXL is up to about 18-18.4 mpg city which is about as good as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back