Motorcycle vs Car Oil Filters

I thought I saw this before, but couldn't go back and find it. What is the difference between the car and motorcycle specific oil filters? Right now, my 2002 CBR600F4i runs a Purolator PL14610 car filter, and I noticed the purolator website has some specific motorcycle filters. The PL14610 fits fine, just curious about the differences and if it is really required to run a motorcycle specific filter.

Originally Posted By: MidnightG35X
.... What is the difference between the car and motorcycle specific oil filters? ....

Manufacturer by manufacturer the motorcycle filters use the same technology as that manufacturer's automotive filters:

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

You'll notice the Fram motorcycle filter uses the same chipboard/cardboard end caps and "clicker" valve as their automobile filters, for example.

Pay attention to filtration level, burst strength, bypass pressure and ADBV. If you have a Harley TC engine you definitely want 5 micron filtration. If you have a Harley EVO you want a 10 micron (or higher) filtration level. Both are very different.

You need to do a search as there is a fine website that details the interchangability of these filters: I just don't remember if it is on this forum or the filter forum.

Cheers!

p.s. I've used both.

Thanks guys, the bike is a 2002 Honda CBR600 F4i. I know the PL14612 is the same size, but I like the larger PL14610. I have auto-rx running through it right now anyway, so larger is better for now I'd say.

I know Purolator has specific motorcycle filters, but the original question is what is the difference! :) And I did do a search to find the differences, didn't find it so I made a post.

The main difference is price. They stick it to you for cycle filters because they can.

The other difference is often minor size differences.
Gold Wing riders have been using auto filters (any Honda Civic filter will fit a Gold Wing), for years with no problems.

There is no such thing as a "motorcycle" oil filter or a "car" oil filter; they just aren't that "specific". To answer the OP's question directly: there is no difference between car and motorcycle fitlers. Oil filters are oil filters, period. There are different brands and grades and types of construction. But there is no designation for M/C vs. a car.

Filters are designed around specific parameters that the engine manufacturer dictates for a desired result in filtration efficiency, flow, pressure differential, construction demands and size requirements.

"Motorcycle" filters often seem "special" because they are viewed as a replacment part to a luxury item. After all, no one NEEDS a motorcycle, but several of us (including me) have one. It's the perception of the market that we're willing to pay more for a high-end product to protect our baby, but the reality is that spec's are spec's, and as long as a filter meets those specs, then it's available for any given application. If there is anything special about a motorcycle oil filter at a motorcycle shop, it's the price, in that they can often successfully charge their customers more money for a filter that you can get a Napa or AAP for a lot less.

Let me give you a very good example. Go to http://www.wixfilters.com and search for their 51348 filter, and look at the "all applications" link. You'll see that it goes on everything from lawn mowers with air-cooled Koehler engines, to small diesel engines, to Harley-Davidson motorcycles, to Chrysler inline four and V-6 gas engines, to Toyota V-6 and V-8 engines up to 4.7L.

Another example is Wix 51365. It fits all kinds of motorcycles, both air and liquid cooled. But it also fits Infiniti car engines, John Deere tractors with both gas and diesel engines, Komatsu excavators with diesel engines, and a large smattering of Mitsubishi, Mazda, Nissan and Subaru applications.

How about your CBR600F4 oil filter? Wix specifically states to use #51358, which fits a huge list of Honda and Kawasaki applications. It's used on Kia cars and Polaris ATV's. It also is used on a large list of Komatsu construction equipment, and many Kubota products, with both gasoline and diesel engines. Your CBR probably has a redline of greater than 10,000 rpm, and yet this same filter is also used on a diesel engine that runs only 2500 rpm. In fact, the specs for this filter are pretty mundane. Typical flow and pressure ranges. In fact, it's BETA ratio is less than stellar; 2/20 at 13/52? Not exactly a super-fine filter by any definition. And yet this little filter is on hundreds of thousands of engines around the world. And all those engines run for the equivilant of millions of miles.

Interestingly, if you cross reference the Purolator L14610 into Wix, you don't get the 51358 that is suggested for your application by Wix. The x-ref for the L14610 is 51356, which fits (again) a huge list of equipment, including marine engines! It just goes to show you that filter makers take the criteria (specs) of an OEM filter, and then apply one or more suggestions for that application. It shows that interpretations are sometimes different. Different is not wrong! It's just not the same. That's an important concept to understand. Further, since engine OEMs don't typically make their own filters, they just find a filter that meets their particular needs in a catalog (such as from Wix, Purolator, Champion, etc), and then spec that into the BOM (bill of materials) for the engine production plans.

Start to get the point? Filters are not typically designed "only" for a motorcycle. Companies such as Wix and Purolator look for applications that they can meet with a broad product line and then recomend one or more of their offerings to meet a particular flow, construction, filtration and size packaging requirement.

Last edited:
Thanks dnewton,
his reply should be a sicky on the top of the cycle board.
A worthy read that should be posted each time this question come up.
Two thumbs up!

Last edited:
Thank you. I hope this cleared up the topic.

And I've often been refered to as a "sicky"!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MidnightG35X
I know Purolator has specific motorcycle filters, but the original question is what is the difference! :) And I did do a search to find the differences, didn't find it so I made a post.

There's no real difference between "motorcycle" oil filters and car filters...They function exactly the same way and they perform the exact same function which is filter the oil...There are differences in materials used and quality between brands but these differences in materials and quality are not specific to motorcycles or cars and there is no real functional difference in how they work....However, there are differences in the specifications of the filter and the filter needs to meet the specification of the engine manufacturer...Such as flow rates and bypass valve pressure ect ect...

I don't see anything wrong with using a car filter as long as the specs match OEM requirements and it fits correctly...Yeah, you can use a car filter but it should meet the specs...Just like you can use a car oil as long as it meets certain criteria...Also, the car filter may have more capacity which needs to be compensated for...

One thing you might want to consider is the PL 14610 has a Relief Valve P.S.I.: 14-18
http://www.pureoil.com/smartlink/?partnum=PL14610

The direct purolator replacement ML16817 for the oem CBR 600 filter has a relief valve pressure of 9-12
http://www.pureoil.com/smartlink/?partnum=ML16817

The Wix 51358 has a PSI rating of 8

So alot of filters have broad applications, but that is because the specs fall into the same range required by the different manufacurers are the same...

The new yellow/gold Pure 1 oil filters just don't look right on a bike....

However, the Wix, Mobil 1, Amsoil, and Bosch filters look just fine on apps where the filter is right out there and can be seen.

Get a Supertech from Walmart for cheap $$

I just found that I have an extended warranty with Honda for my F4i until June 2010 courtesy of the previous owner so I will probably stick to the over priced Honda OEM filter and look for them cheaper on Flea Bay.......

Really liking this fill of M1 4T oil...bike feels a lot stronger and smoother..shifting is still loud but everything else seems to be an improvement over the Honda juice

Goose
34.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
There is no such thing as a "motorcycle" oil filter or a "car" oil filter; they just aren't that "specific". To answer the OP's question directly: there is no difference between car and motorcycle fitlers. Oil filters are oil filters, period. There are different brands and grades and types of construction. But there is no designation for M/C vs. a car.

Filters are designed around specific parameters that the engine manufacturer dictates for a desired result in filtration efficiency, flow, pressure differential, construction demands and size requirements.

"Motorcycle" filters often seem "special" because they are viewed as a replacment part to a luxury item. After all, no one NEEDS a motorcycle, but several of us (including me) have one. It's the perception of the market that we're willing to pay more for a high-end product to protect our baby, but the reality is that spec's are spec's, and as long as a filter meets those specs, then it's available for any given application. If there is anything special about a motorcycle oil filter at a motorcycle shop, it's the price, in that they can often successfully charge their customers more money for a filter that you can get a Napa or AAP for a lot less.

Let me give you a very good example. Go to http://www.wixfilters.com and search for their 51348 filter, and look at the "all applications" link. You'll see that it goes on everything from lawn mowers with air-cooled Koehler engines, to small diesel engines, to Harley-Davidson motorcycles, to Chrysler inline four and V-6 gas engines, to Toyota V-6 and V-8 engines up to 4.7L.

Another example is Wix 51365. It fits all kinds of motorcycles, both air and liquid cooled. But it also fits Infiniti car engines, John Deere tractors with both gas and diesel engines, Komatsu excavators with diesel engines, and a large smattering of Mitsubishi, Mazda, Nissan and Subaru applications.

How about your CBR600F4 oil filter? Wix specifically states to use #51358, which fits a huge list of Honda and Kawasaki applications. It's used on Kia cars and Polaris ATV's. It also is used on a large list of Komatsu construction equipment, and many Kubota products, with both gasoline and diesel engines. Your CBR probably has a redline of greater than 10,000 rpm, and yet this same filter is also used on a diesel engine that runs only 2500 rpm. In fact, the specs for this filter are pretty mundane. Typical flow and pressure ranges. In fact, it's BETA ratio is less than stellar; 2/20 at 13/52? Not exactly a super-fine filter by any definition. And yet this little filter is on hundreds of thousands of engines around the world. And all those engines run for the equivilant of millions of miles.

Interestingly, if you cross reference the Purolator L14610 into Wix, you don't get the 51358 that is suggested for your application by Wix. The x-ref for the L14610 is 51356, which fits (again) a huge list of equipment, including marine engines! It just goes to show you that filter makers take the criteria (specs) of an OEM filter, and then apply one or more suggestions for that application. It shows that interpretations are sometimes different. Different is not wrong! It's just not the same. That's an important concept to understand. Further, since engine OEMs don't typically make their own filters, they just find a filter that meets their particular needs in a catalog (such as from Wix, Purolator, Champion, etc), and then spec that into the BOM (bill of materials) for the engine production plans.

Start to get the point? Filters are not typically designed "only" for a motorcycle. Companies such as Wix and Purolator look for applications that they can meet with a broad product line and then recomend one or more of their offerings to meet a particular flow, construction, filtration and size packaging requirement.

I disagree. Just because they will fit your MC doesn't mean they have the correct filtration level and bypass pressure. You can toast a Harley engine with a filter that is too restrictive because they are a dry sump engine design with a low presure high volume oil system. Ask anyone with an EVO motor that has put a 5 micron filter on one only to starve the valvetrain of oil. As for the TC88/96 series those engines use the same type of high volume low pressure oiling (gerotor pump) system but cool the pistons with internal oil jets. Not enough filtration (5 micron multi-pass spec) and you can clogg those jets and develop overheating. The Wix filter that firs the Harley TC engine has a 19 micron rating with paper media. The HD filter has a 5 micron rating with synthetic media. You save $5 with the wix but open yourself to serious potential problems. Also, if your oil filter doesn't go into bypass and allow the proper volume of oil when necessary you are going to generate huge wear on engine internals. Very critical on the EVO carbed engines as the idle rpm is usually lower than the EFI TC88/96 that has the idle set electronically at 950+ to keep pushing oil.

Last edited:
Back