Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40 - Good Price? Good stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't normally use the M1 motorcycle-specific oil but was able to get a bunch of it for $5.50 a quart, delivered to my front door.

This is the MX4T 10w-40. Same as the "newer" "Racing 4T".

Am completely out of my stash of Rotella Syn and thought this stuff would work just as well.

This will be for a '07 VStar 1300, '06 Yamaha FZ, and a '07 Gold Wing (all water-cooled).

How long can you run this stuff? 5k OCI's? More/less?

That's a heck of a price. Can you share where you got it? (PM if necessary).

The motorcycle oils are advertised as having very little, if any, viscosity modifiers. This means a better base fluid is being used. This would account for the high price.

I know my air-cooled CBX gets hot as fire in the summer and I end up changing the oil due to shifting issues. I'd love to try the Mobil oil but it's $9,00 per quart locally and I have stayed away from it because of this.

Sorry - all gone.

This came from a distributor that was closing out leftover stock of MX4T - which is now called Racing 4T. I got the remaining inventory. Sounded too good to be true so thought I'd better post out here and ask for a sanity check.

Wanna know how many cases?
banana2.gif

My personal experience with that Mobil 1 motorcycle oil was fine. I used some in a 2005 CBR600RR, a 2003 Yamaha R6, and a 2007 Suzuki SV1000S during the 2007 racing season. I didn't have any failures from it, but the shifting was noticeably a little more klunky in the CBR600RR. I'm a regular Rotella user. I have some of the Amsoil motorcycle oil in my 2008 race bike, a GSXR750, and it am not noticing it to be much different than what I'm used to in my previous experiences with Rotella. I'm using a maintenance dose of Auto RX with the Amsoil.

SD26, are you using the Rotella 15W-40 conventional oil or the 5W-40 synthetic?

I have felt that shear would be a issue with the 5W-40 although I admittedly have not tried it.

I have Mobil 4T 10W-40 in my '07 GL1800 water cooled shared sump Goldwing. I'm at about 2,500 miles on the oil. What I know at this point (pre-UOA):

o No oil usage whatever ... absolutely no need to top up at all
o Shifting about the same as with Rotella T 15W-40
o Engine appears to run at same temperature

Much of that is entirely unscientific. Oil level is very much a function of how long I wait after turning off the engine; shifting quality is notoriously subjective; my engine temperature gauge never seems to move off it's steady-state location.

Bottom line -- the oil is no doubt very good. Better than others? That I can't say.

I can say you got a great price. I paid $9.50/quart at Wal-Mart.

I also note my local Wal-Mart no longer carries the stuff. They must not have moved much.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
SD26, are you using the Rotella 15W-40 conventional oil or the 5W-40 synthetic?

I have felt that shear would be a issue with the 5W-40 although I admittedly have not tried it.

I've used both. I will use 15W40 for break-in, the move to the 5W40 after that.

Yeah - that stuff is gone from the shelves at our local Wal-Marts. They stopped carrying it over a year ago. About a buck and a half more at the local parts stores (they have to order it).

Funny that they stock the Castrol motorcycle oil and now stock Bell helmets. When's the last time you saw a Bell helmet?

Anyways, I figured it was decent stuff, but not for $9 a quart. At $5.50 (delivered) it's hard to pass up. Even the blue jug Rotella is $20 a gallon here by the time you pay the sales tax and they say that all the oil is going to take another price hike.

I already made a nice shelf for it in the basement. 72 quarts takes up a lot of room.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: kballowe
When's the last time you saw a Bell helmet?

I believe it was 1974.

I already made a nice shelf for it in the basement. 72 quarts takes up a lot of room.
banana2.gif

I don't like you any more.
wink.gif

When's the last time you saw a Bell helmet?

I road raced with Bell helmets in 1999 and 2000. They just came out with a new series of road racing helmets this year. http://www.bellpowersports.com

Well us old timers know that Bell helmets were really big in the 70's. Somewhere in the 80's (I think) they were purchased by an Italian company - the same company that now manufacturers Nolan helmets (and others).

Don - You know that I have just two faults - Greedy, and cheap.
grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

Listen - I have four water-cooled bikes to up-keep and two air-cooled. I asked that nice man if I could get a deal on some of that Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50, and he said no. Too bad Rotella don't make a 20w-50. In the mean time I'll just keep using that Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic (silver cap) in my Harleys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back