How much oil is left in engine after draining it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dry fill amount is what is important to answer the original question. Just because the book says it requires 5 quarts and you drain 5 and replace 5 doesn't answer the question. As said before, my Mazda's' dry fill in 6.8 quarts and the refill is 5.6 to 6.0 quarts.

I use blower to force more "used" oil to drain out. It drips faster, but I am not sure more come out. Just wondering will this method harm the engine?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carzzz
I use blower to force more "used" oil to drain out. It drips faster, but I am not sure more come out. Just wondering will this method harm the engine?

Blower? Is the air filtered?

Originally Posted By: smokey1
if yeh want to get little more of the old oil out of pan just pour about 6 ounces of the new oil into it and let it drain out oil pan along with the old .

The Patman flush!
banana2.gif

My CR-V manual says 4.2qt change, 4.4qt change with filter, and 5.6qt total. So I figure 4.4 of 5.6qt's get changes, or , 21% of the oil is left over in the pan.

I put my car up on a ramp, and usually get a 5 qt change, so I figure about 11% is left over.

Originally Posted By: Bobert
if yeh want to get little more of the old oil out of pan just pour about 6 ounces of the new oil into it and let it drain out oil pan along with the old .

The Patman flush!
banana2.gif

That's the mini flush, but not the full "Patman flush"

The Patman flush involves putting in about 2 fresh quarts of oil after draining the oil at oil change time, tightening the drain plug and running the engine at idle for a minute. Then drain that oil and refill with fresh oil again (this time the full amount obviously)

I have rebuilt a number of American V-8 engines, and there are many nooks and crannies that hold small amounts of oil.

My humble opinion is there is probably 1/8 of a quart of oil left in a V-8 engine, probably less in a smaller engine.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Carzzz

Blower? Is the air filtered?

...better evaluate that filter media.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Bobert

The Patman flush!
banana2.gif

The anall me has done this for a couple decades.

Originally Posted By: Bob The Builder
The subject pretty much says it all. I would think that if you drive a vehicle and get the oil nice and hot, then immediately drain it and remove the filter, that most of the oil would end up in the collection container...except for maybe a film of oil on internal parts.

Is this true, or does an engine retain a significant amount of oil...I've heard as much as a half to 1 qt remains. (I have never actually measured the amount of oil coming out.)

In this case, wouldn't it make sense to run a cleaner just before draining?
The oil remaining doesn't matter .Pull the drain plug let the oil drain out ,change the oil filter put the drain plug back in add oil done . Doing any more is messing with success.

Originally Posted By: Patman
The Patman flush involves putting in about 2 fresh quarts of oil after draining the oil at oil change time, tightening the drain plug and running the engine at idle for a minute. Then drain that oil and refill with fresh oil again (this time the full amount obviously)

It takes longer than a minute to clear out the oil in the hydraulic lifters.

Originally Posted By: severach
Originally Posted By: Patman

It takes longer than a minute to clear out the oil in the hydraulic lifters.

yeah, if your using cheap dino for the "patman flush" then, when you add your expensive synthetic, your probably having a mix with cheap dino and the expensive synthetic. it's impossible to get it all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back