Water/Meth injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installing a Magnuson 122h and a fairly aggressive blower cam on my Silverado (08) 5.3 with a Snow Water/Meth injection system. Question to any Meth injection users here,do you use any kind of lube in your methanol? Should I put some Lucas UCL in the meth tank with the 50-50 water/meth mixture? If so how much would you think I should use (ratio)? Thanks for your thoughts and or comments in advance.

I know one of the Saab guys with a 500hp 4 cylinder saab just runs a 50/50 water meth with no lube in it, he seems to be getting good results.

what material are the rotors on the blower made out of? i have heard reports of 03/04 cobra owners running meth injection have found galling and pitting on the rotors for both the stock Eaton, and aftermarket Kenne Bell and Whipple blowers.

When I did my thesis (mech eng), one of the test rigs had a lot of aluminium in it, and a previous student used methanol through it.

Tenacious white powder everywhere..nasty stuff.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have seen/heard of E85 users utilizing fuel "lubes" and was curious. Yes I have seen pitting on blower blades and almost without exception one could trace it back to A) Heat B) lousy air filtration. The 49% Meth 51% Water combo is what is called for with E85 of course having a higher concentration of alcohol. The blades are made of a aluminum alloy (not sure what exactly that is)and seem to reject allowing any residual "powder" that I have seen.
My thoughts are more towards the 250lb pump and the injector nozzle and if any type of lube in the meth/water injection system would have any benefit.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
When I did my thesis (mech eng), one of the test rigs had a lot of aluminium in it, and a previous student used methanol through it.Tenacious white powder everywhere..nasty stuff.
hmmm,white powder.. wonder what kind of "meth" he was using?

Are you injecting the water/meth before the blower?
It'd be better if you injected it after the blower.
cuz
methanol can corrode aluminium
and droplets hitting the compressor wheel as it spins at +100k rpm's could damage the wheel

Originally Posted By: gtx510
cuz
and droplets hitting the compressor wheel as it spins at +100k rpm's could damage the wheel

It cools the blower when it's injected before it, giving you a more dense boost charge as another benefit.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: gtx510
cuz

It cools the blower when it's injected before it, giving you a more dense boost charge as another benefit.
It cools the charge because it's evaporating in hot air, kinda like sweat...
If it's a roots/screw blower then injecting before the blower might be ok?

No idea, the guys I know running it are running it on Vortech centrifugal blowers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely inject after the blower. You won't realize the full benefits or even half the benefit before the blower.

Run straight meth, it makes more power than a mixture period.

No need for a lube if you run the right meth kit.

Get a progressive kit that ramps up the delivery via a MAP sensor and it will be completely seamless in daily driving. I can not stress how important progressive delivery is.

Check out Razor's kit on turbobuick.com in the alky/nitrous/propane section. It's the best on the market hands down. One of the few that's truly compatable with meth and won't corrode after a year even though others claim they're compatable. I think his site is alkycontrol.com but I'm not sure.

I've been doing this for over 5 years and learned some hard lessons but now I run 23psi on 91 octane and there's no where near the power fluctuations between hot days and cool days with meth.

Just saw you're running the Snow kit. Get rid of it and get a good kit. The quality of the kit will either make you a believer or hate methanol.

Don't bother injecting if you're doing it before the blower. Not worth it.

Methanol cools the charge, adds octane, and adds fuel.

On my data logs, 26psi 85 degree day, post intercooler temps were in the 125 degree range. With the addition of methanol the temps pegged my guage at 60 degrees. That was as low as the guage read. Who knows how low it was but what's cool is at 26psi I had charge temps below ambient.

If you inject it before the blower you lose a lot of the cooling effect and most of your gains will be with the boost in octane.

The kit I use will ramp all the way to 300psi, has an adjustable turn on point, ramp up speed, and initial speed.

What works on a TB won't necessarily work on a Roots V8. I also don't think that throwing the kit away is warranted. Setup the kit, start with winter washer fluid, and see how it goes from there. Have you asked Snow about the lube? Or tried their forum?

Originally Posted By: Shaman
What works on a TB won't necessarily work on a Roots V8. I also don't think that throwing the kit away is warranted. Setup the kit, start with winter washer fluid, and see how it goes from there. Have you asked Snow about the lube? Or tried their forum?

Been there, done that with washer fluid, rubbing alky in every mix they make, straight water, and straight methanol. Nothing will make the power of straight meth. The research has been done already, no need to start from scratch.

I would rather have a kit that doesn't require lube and is super reliable. I've run several of the cheaper kits and I have a few blown headgaskets due to pump failures, hobbs switch failures, corrosion, etc. Spend the extra $100 and the only thing you will ever have to worry about is topping off the tank.

To add a little more, displacement makes no difference. A roots blown V8 usually isn't running as much boost as a turbo 6 but the outlet temps are most likely the same or greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back