OK to mix spark plug types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

One of my vehicles has 2 really hard to reach plugs. I was wondering if putting Iridiums there and regular plugs for the rest would be a problem?

harmonic issue.... c'mon !!!!!!

yes you can mix them, or not change 2 of them. Its not the end of the world and the engine will run just fine.

I would have them all the same, sometimes the IGN module measures inductive kickback/decay, whatever you call it, on one (pair of) plug/plugs, and makes assumptions for the rest.

carlprop may have about the only negative that there is.

Any multi cylinder engine is really a cojoining of a number of single cylinder engines. Each suffers a different inlet and exhaust conditions (depending on what happens immediately before each of those events for that cylinder), and each has different coolant flows and temperatures.

Toyota products typically specify one NGK part number and one Denso part number, and apparently they both function the same way.

Most GM vehicles state to use ACDelco plugs, but in some cases, once you open the package you'll see NGK written on the side of the plugs.

One of the forum members over at http://www.speedtalk.com works at a place that uses pressure sensors to measure what's happening inside combustion chambers during operation. There is an amazingly wide spread of the dynamics both within a cylinder and between cylinders even on an engine that is apparently operating at a steady-state load and appears to be running quite smoothly.

So long as the spark plug is a type that is specified for the engine in question it is highly doubtful that anyone could notice a difference with various brands/types. Perhaps the dynamic sensors would notice a difference but human perception probably couldn't pick it up.
Joe

Double plats will always work in waste fire ignition systems.
Stock, the factories often use a double plat on one leg, and a single plat on the other leg.
Because of the +to- and - to + firing, erosion is on the center or side electrode.
Cheapness lets them put in a single plat plug . If you replace with singles, you have to put them in the right hole.
Most replacement plugs will simply just use the double plat, anyway.

Sorry guys I haven't been online in a couple of days. The vehicle is a 97' Ford Ranger 2.3 so I'll probably use Motorcraft Platinums. thanks

Autolite XP iridium plugs aren't very expensive. There s almost always a rebate going on too.

I use them in my V8 Taurus SHO.

Look at the 3.4L toyota V6's. 3 ngk's and 3 denso's straight from the factory. Their concern is one side of the engine getting hotter.

Just remember plugs love to sieze if they are left in there long enough. Follow the manufacturers intervals but even that is sometimes too long IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back