Looking for more Echo SRM-210 help - non-EPA carb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please see an old thread of mine here

I'm still having similar issues.

I've switched to using Amsoil Saber blended at 50:1, and I'm using LCD FP3000 in my OPE fuel along with Sta-bil. My OPE fuel is now Shell V-Power 91 which is ethanol-free (according to the sticker) but still 91 AKI as spare for the car.

I've adjusted the hidden mixture adjustment but it's still tough to start, and four strokes a lot at anything less than 2/3 throttle. If I lean it out to stop the four stroking, then I start getting lean starvation and no throttle response.

Fresh plug, air filter, fuel filter this year.

It is a 2003 Echo SRM-210 s/n 07002514. I believe that this means I have factory carb RB-K66B. I don't know that the initial helpful advice on carb replacement applies or not.

Depending on the cost, I'd love the option of getting a non-EPA carb with adjustments. I'm in Canada so it's legal, and it's legal for you to tell me
LOL.gif

I've done a nearly full disassembly and engine cleaning again. The Saber has helped somewhat but I'd still like better. I continue to see lawn guys in the area with Echos and other brands that start on a half pull and idle smooth ("rrrrrrrrrrrrrr"). Mine jumps around and sounds like it has racing cams at the best of times.

Still, warmed up it has good power and response and WOT it's a monster.

I can start it "reliably" by doing the following:

- prime 5+ times after seeing fuel
- set full choke
- pull up to 4 times, if no catch at all go WOT
- pull up to 4 times - it should have at least sputtered
- immediately following sputter, choke open, no throttle
- pull and it'll sputter again and maybe run until you...
- choke to half, half throttle, it'll catch
- warm up a bit on half choke, no throttle on the ground or it'll stall.
- open choke, start trimming - missing, four stroking and all

Warm restarts are usually one pull, no choke, no throttle.

Any comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Craig, I tried my best to give you the info that worked for me.

FWIW, my 210 is still running great. My start procedure is 5 prime squeezes, One pull with choke on, One pull with choke off and it starts and warms up. Yup, it's a little lean right off, but it soon runs great.

Try as I might (and I am a motorhead) I could never get the original carb to run right. Never.

Chris

Cujet:

I appreciate and remember your advice, I just wasn't sure if it still applied to my particular SRM-210 serial# range or not since it seems to be the odd one out of the lot in terms of original carb. I didn't provide that info in my original thread in '06. I'm not even sure if the model# of the original carb even matters or if all SRM-210s are identical and it's just a matter of what the factory screwed on when built.

I've tried to find info on the carb you suggested to see if it is indeed adjustable (I don't want to mail order one and end up with the same thing or a "revised" unit that isn't adjustable, for example) and I've come up a little short so far. I thought I'd ask again here and in another OPE-only forum to see if anyone with boat loads of experience can tell me for certain how/where to get a fully adjustable carb.

Thanks again.

Actually, Cujet:

In additional looking around, it isn't helping that the SRM-210 seems to be left off of the look up and equivalency charts. The RB-K70 series seems to be listed for -230s though. For instance here. Same type of thing all over.

Does your RB-K70A have both idle and main adjustments? Or just main? I've been looking through the zama catalog, but they use generic series drawings for many models and just put "-" in the part number field if it isn't available OR isn't equipped. It's still not quite deterministic.

Since I found a "hidden" main adjustment in the factory carb, I wonder if another carb with only a main adjustment would really revolutionize things... Your experience says so, so that's a plus :)

Last edited:
My Echo ran fairly well (not great) when new with the orig carb. But as it aged, it became harder and harder to start and it ran like junk. When warm, I could not start it at all.

I tried my best to overhaul the carb. I looked into how the circuits in the carb worked, and made sure they were not obstructed. But, even with all I did, the design was flawed. It really ran horrible. I used to watch the lawn people with Echo trimmers that ran great, with envy!

Chris

Originally Posted By: Cujet
My Echo ran fairly well (not great) when new with the orig carb. But as it aged, it became harder and harder to start and it ran like junk. When warm, I could not start it at all.

I tried my best to overhaul the carb. I looked into how the circuits in the carb worked, and made sure they were not obstructed. But, even with all I did, the design was flawed. It really ran horrible. I used to watch the lawn people with Echo trimmers that ran great, with envy!

Chris

Can you confirm whether your new carb has main AND idle adjustments, or just main?

Thanks!

I don't remember. I will have to go out later and look. I do know that it is high speed adjustable, where the old one was not. The design is different enough.

Chris

Cujet: I'd appreciate it very much if you could check. I consulted with an online carb place and they indicated that their RB-K70A had no adjustments at all. I know there's a lot of misinformation out there...

How did you adjust it? Did the "screw" have a blank head? If so, I take my dremmel tool with a cutoff wheel and cut right through the dam that surrounds the adjustment screw/screws. While doing so, I go deep enough to score a pretty good slot in the screws. If you do that and ajust them in and out without any success, you may have to look elsewhere for the solution. How old is it? If it's been around a couple years, pull the muffler off and look at the exhaust port. Is it blocked off with carbon deposits? Carefully chip the build up away after moving the piston up or down away from the area. Blow very hard into the port and the cylinder with compressed air to get the debris out. Is your fuel filter clogged? Pull the line off the carb that comes from the filter. Carefully (CAREFULLY) blow air through the line to see if it makes (LOTs) of bubbles in the gas. If it doesn't, you might need a new filter. About the only other thing, besides the motor being worn out or the ignition being weak, is the gas line and primer bulb being broken down (wore out) and in need of replacement.

yeehaw:

On the stock carb you can find a hidden adjustment screw if you pop a brass plug out of the center of the throttle cam. That's what I've been using. It doesn't work as nicely as a "proper" adjustment should in my opinion but it has the same effect.

New in 2003, low # of hours, been running poorly probably since broken in. Exhaust port is squeaky clean. Fuel filter is new. Gas line and primer bulb look intact. I've disassembled everything at least part way a couple of times for cleaning and inspection but I've recently found more documentation that may inspire me to more carefully inspect the primer and diaphram area for any problems.

Cujet's suggested that its just a [censored] carb, and he may be right. One of my problems is that the places I'd order from now say that his model is non-adjustable, but he has a real main adjustment. When I have time, I need to work towards better confirmation of information on the new carbs before potentially tossing $50 on something that may have been revised to be non-adjustable since Cujet purchased his... I've had too many competing priorities over the last couple of weeks to put serious time into it.

It starts poorly when cold, and idles poorly when cold or hot. Even if the idle eventually sorted itself out I might just live with it indefinitely. As it stands it sputters, bucks and four strokes a lot while idling. Other (probably older) Echos I've seen in use in my area purr with a perfect steady, unwavering tone and many seem to start in one pull.

No, but I have found that it starts a lot better running Amsoil Sabre ATP as the pre-mix oil.

I have a starting ritual that works every time it seems. Full choke, full throttle, pull, pull, sputter die, half choke, closed throttle, pull, sputter sputter sputter runs, open choke.

I still can't find any kind of carb settings that eliminate the simultaneous symptoms of being both lean and rich (four stroking, lean bog, throttle response) but it works reliably. It still doesn't sound like the seemingly same models used by the lawn care pros in my area though.... Puzzling.

I still think about getting a fully adjustable replacement carb for it but there always seems to be something better to do with that $100. :)

I wish i could find an adjustable carburetor. I’d spend $60 on this trimmer, but I don’t think I’d do a hundred. thanks for the information

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
No, but I have found that it starts a lot better running Amsoil Sabre ATP as the pre-mix oil.

I still think about getting a fully adjustable replacement carb for it but there always seems to be something better to do with that $100. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back