Porsche 908 Race Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG

My friend is an engineer works with a racing team, including old Porsches like the 908, shown here: http://www.imca-slotracing.com/Porsche908.htm

These are very expensive. One of their old Porsches is worth $750,000.

Long story short, I naturally asked him what oil they use. He said Mobil 1 15W-50. That makes sense.

BTW, they rebuild the engines after every 30 hours of driving which is twice as long as they are supposed to do. He said valves are usually the engine parts in the worst shape when rebuild time comes.

Hi,
JAG - About a year ago I was able to spend some time with the Factory's Engineers who look after their Museum cars - both race and road of course - and Vern Schuppan too who won at Le Mans

It was an interesting time indeed and even though they can use what they like Mobil 1 is the preferred lubricant with mineral lubricants (not Mobil) being used in some old air cooled engines from the 1950s etc. M1 0W-40 is used in all late model race engines

There is a guy in Brisbane who has made over 30 replica race cars. Some using Factory drawings, help and parts and some not. He even coupled two flat sixes up to make a replica of the flat 12 - and without Factory help too. He is a very competent fellow and a great Porsche fan of course

JAG, thank you so much for sharing this bit of Porsche history with us all

Last edited:
Doug, I thought this subject would catch your interest. :)

That's great that you got to spend time with the factory engineers and Vern. The replica builder in Brisbane sounds like an interesting guy.

These Porsches are going to be racing at the Virginia International Raceway (VIR) in the next week or two. Too bad you are on the other "side" of the world!

My friend did mention another Porsche they have, maybe the 907. I don't know for sure (I had a few beers prior to listening) but my point is that they have one Porsche that has about 320 HP but VERY low drag coefficient and a different one with 420 HP and more typical drag coefficient. On the long straight at VIR they get up to well over 160 MPH, and eventually the lower HP car starts pulling away from the other because of its low drag.

I'll try to get more info out of my friend when I see him again and I'm completely sober. :)

JAG, if you go to VIR and watch these race, take some pictures. Nothing sounds sweeter than a 917 going through the gears at top speed, then down shifting going through the curves and the tires chirping.

Johnny, I would go if I could but I'll be at the BMW High Performance Driving School (M School) in Spartanburg, SC when the VIR race is going. It is the summer vacation my wife and I chose...what a great wife!

My friend did tell me these Porsches sound awesome. I hope sometime I get to see and hear them.

This brings back memories of one of the first car toys I can remember. My dad bought my brother a really replica of a porsche 917 painted in Martini sponsorship colors.

Thanks for posting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back