Bought a '07 Harlet Heritage Softail Classic !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I did it!

Bought a slightly used 2007 Harley Softail Heritage Classic. It had only 1400 miles on it!

It has screaming eagle pipes, K&N Air Kit, Screaming Eagle Tuner Kit with printouts, etc. Nice grips & more chrome. Got a great deal on it and it looks brand new!

Will be getting a Sundowner seat (or a more comfortable one if recommended), Chrome Levers, Shop Manual.

I'm a 1st time ever Harley owner, had a Vulcan 750 several years ago.

Any particular options you recommend...?

OIL - He had the original oil drained all 3 holes at 950 miles, he put in Screaming Eagle oil (semi-Syn I believe). About how many more miles should I drain the oil & out in Amsoil...??

Thanks much!!

Congrats on the new scoot. I too had a Vulcan 750, it was a good bike.

As for the oil - It's your call but I'd do it today - better safe then sorry.

The oil was changed ~500 miles ago, it wouldn't need to be changed already, right??

Photos..................
21.gif

Bought it today. He took it off Craig's List, or I'd send the link... Money exchange on Tuesday or Wednesday. Photos are at Harley-Davidson...

Oh yea, it's got the new 96 CI Motor, 6 Speed Tranny, O2 sensors, EFI, & is mapped for performance.

I was gonna go 2000-2500 miles on the Screaming Eagle Oil then Amsoil, but would like your input.......

cheers3.gif

Congratulations on the new scooter!

As far as the oil goes, Any regular dino oil will last 2 to 2.5K miles/6 months depending on how much/long/hard you ride at a time and the tune of your bike=how rich it runs, but being an '07 and injected and already "tuned" you should have no problems with the SE oil....Amsoil is way and above the Screamin' Eagle oil (made by Citgo=Huga Chavez, btw).

I used Amsoil exclusively in my '97 RoadKing but was only putting about 5K a year on it, so, not really getting the full potential of the oil for the money spent, I decided to go back to dino and change it twice a year. If I had a 96 inch engine like yours I'd run the Amsoil again, those bigger engines kick out the heat. The Amsoil 75w140 gear lube is what many use in the 6 speed tranny's to lessen the 5th gear whine. Some are now using ATF in the Primary instead of the 10w40 or 20w50 motor oil - any will work fine...well, if you are still in warranty, maybe you should stick with the 20w50 for the time being. Harley has really extended the recommended drain intervals for mileage in the trans and primary but I'd stick to no more than 10K on the tranny and keep the primary at 5k or one year - it's a nasty environment with the clutch plates wearing and cleaner fluid means better longer lasting clutches - no real need for synthetic fluid in there - frequent changes being the better choice, I believe...another great choice for the primary is Rotella (or any other) 15w40 HDEO, it's also economical so frequent changes don't hurt the pocket book either...

ENJOY!

tpitcher,

If you feel the oil was indeed changed then leave it in for a while. It's just that I always hear the new owner of used car or bike say the previous owner "just changed the oil" - what are the odds?

He has the paperwork & a straight up guy.

All fluids changed to Screaming Eagle at 950 at Harley Dealer. It has 1480 exactly.

Hey Pablo: About when should I drain & fill with All Amsoil to keep her a long time...??

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
He has the paperwork & a straight up guy.

All fluids changed to Screaming Eagle at 950 at Harley Dealer. It has 1480 exactly.

Hey Pablo: About when should I drain & fill with All Amsoil to keep her a long time...??

You can drain and refill now if you like.

Harley Chart

MCV in the engine.
I lean toward the SVO, especially if you are a good weather rider. Not recommending ATF.

Thanks - Nothing but Amsoil is going in.

12.gif
I am surprised at the "drain now" recommendations...

It is early with only 500 mles on the oil. But on the other hand, I will be riding it a lot until November, so perhaps you are right. If I drain now & put in an EAO Oil Filter, it will be good until Fall, then put in fresh for Winter storage...

Hummm...
21.gif

Just ride it! I would go at a minimum another 500 just to complete the break-in period. I was in the bike business for many years. I run the NEW Mobil 1 15w50 that has been very recently reformulated for old-tech motors like our Harleys and hot-rods for $20 a gallon at Wal-Mart. Makes it very affordable to change every 2K. This lube is,in my opinion,95% as good as Amsoil or Mobil 1 V-Twin for less than half the price. I am able to change my oil twice as often for less dough. If you MUST blow some cash on your new scooter....get an oil cooler-it NEEDS it!!!

My '07 HD 96 C.I. could use an Oil Cooler...??? Really?? If so, I better get one...

Lemme know more please...

Thanks!

Don't get to concerned with an oil cooler just yet....your bike has been remapped with all of the performance upgrades that have been done and has to be running richer than stock which will keep it cooler. If it ever showed any signs of overheating then I'd have the map checked and increase the fuel a little more...you'll be able to tell after riding it for a while.

I'd still run Amsoil 20w50 motor oil,the "ARO", which cost less than the "MCF" that is made for use in the transmission as well, but the 75w140 gear lube (SVO) is much better for that.

Oil cost difference means nothing to me - I want the best in her...

I'll research the ARO/MCF difference - thanks.

Pablo mentioned SVO for the tranny, I'll go with that...

Thanks!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Oil cost difference means nothing to me - I want the best in her...

If you're willing to pay the money then Amsoil is a terrific oil, no question about that.

I go away for a few weeks and you've all forgotten what you'd learned!

Shame!!

Use Havoline 20W50. No UOA on the board has beaten these to date, synthetics included...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1143136&fpart=1

You say you're looking for the best oil, so what you've got to do is produce a UOA that beats the Havoline 20W50 in a Harley engine. If you'd like to save yourself some time, just trust me--there is no such UOA out there.
wink.gif

Now, if deep down inside you really, really, really wanna use synthetic and are just looking to justify it, no amount of reason will dissuade you. Go get the 9 buck a quart stuff and tell yourself you've made a good decision.

But if you're of sound mind and capable of reason, read the linked UOA's and then compare all other Harley Davidson UOA's on this board and others, and see what you conclude.

And don't get led astray by a lot of psycho-babble and blather. Wear metal count is what you're really looking for, the lower the better. Rhetoric about TBN and flash point and viscosity is all beside the point if wear metal mitigation isn't top notch.

Wear metals...

Wear metals...

Wear metals...

Learn it.

Live it.

Love it~!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back