Honda Civic Hybrid oil.....no 0w20 available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. It calls for 0w20, but I can not find it locally. I can get 0w30 or 5w20, which would be best? Thanks!

Amsoil makes a very good 0W-20 oil that I use in our 2003 Accord.But if you need to choose one of these, I would go with the 5W-20. It might provide you with the mpg advantage over the 0W-30.

Originally Posted By: youther
I have a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. It calls for 0w20, but I can not find it locally. I can get 0w30 or 5w20, which would be best? Thanks!

Click here: Amsoil ASM 0W-20 - you can order it and in 2-3 days it will be on your porch.

Click here to become a Preferred Customer (PC) and save the most money: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/pref.aspx?ZO=515729

Thanks,

Paul

Support a BITOG sponsor!

Originally Posted By: youther

Try Motorcraft 5w-20 but only if you absolutely cannot find the 0w-20. I would do a lot, even drive out of town to get it up to 100 mile radius. I have contemplated that for everything from oil I can't find to shoes and even jobs and on and on and on.. Use you car, it's your mule!

Last edited:
The owner's manual for my '06 says 5w-20 can be used if 0w- is not available. If your OLM is below 15%, consider getting some 5w-20 and changing it out as a stopgap until you can get the 0w-20. Besides the cold weather benefit of a 0w- , it seems that other HCH owners report a drop in fuel economy when they've gone to 5w-20 - so I'd still try and eventually get my hands on 0w-20.

On the 5w-20's - A previous poster nominated Motorcraft - I'd second that. I ran that in the wife's Element for the 1st oil change, until I swapped it out to PennPlat at the 2nd change.

You should be able to get the 0w-20 oil at two retail outlets:
- A local Honda dealer (Honda doesn't label theirs as synthetic, but it's still considered a pretty good oil. Made by ExxonMobil, from what we know.)
- WalMart (Mobil 1). Not all will carry it, but of the 4 WM that are near me, 3 of them do. I start looking for it when my OLM gets down to 20%.

Finally, you can get Amsoil via mail (I haven't tried it, but eventually will), or, you can get Pennzoil Platinum at a Yahoo! store - I think it's called 'oil-store.com' or some such - I got my current fill of PP there - been wanting to try it based on the great wear numbers I've seen with this oil (Mobil1, by comparison, seems to exhibit higher iron readings than I (& many other posters) would like to see from it. For now, I'm going with the PP and will post my 2nd oil change numbers once I get them (it's going to be a while, as I've got ~500mi on the first change now).

It took a few weeks for the PP to be shipped to me, so plan ahead if you're going this route.

I'd stay away from the 0w-30. Your FE will suffer, at the least. With the tight tolerances of the HCH engine, Honda wants a very thin oil in there.

As for driving 100mi to get the right item - I don't know that I'd do that. It costs a lot to feed 'the mule'; if you can get the oil delivered via UPS, etc, I think that's a better solution than driving 100 miles each way for a bottle of oil. Even at 50mi/gal (which I do achieve with the car), that's 4gal - $16, plus wear/tear on your car. It won't cost $16 to ship it, and the UPS truck is already out there with everyone else's packages.

Last edited:
0W-20 should be available at any Honda dealer and at most places which sell Mobil-1. I would stick with it, though 5W-20 is unlikely to do any harm in your climate.

That "mule" costs .20 to .30 per mile to "feed". Mail order can be handy and economical. .02.

Originally Posted By: UzLess

As for driving 100mi to get the right item - I don't know that I'd do that. It costs a lot to feed 'the mule';

Originally Posted By: FZ1
That "mule" costs .20 to .30 per mile to "feed". Mail order can be handy and economical. .02.

Well if he gets the motorcraft, he won't have to drive very far to find a Walmart. The car being a mule was a metaphor people! Sure you have to feed it but when you drive a Honda, you get great gas mileage with the windows rolled down! It's such driving enjoyment that 100 freeway miles will fly by 'in a minute'! Besides, with the 2009 Fit, Sonata (although I would never buy a Hyundai) and even the 2009 Pontiac G6 Gt (18 mpg with 360 hp!) there will be plenty of cars to 'get into' once you wear out your current...relax..enjoy life while you can because it is short. enjoy what you do and what you drive and do it often!!

Id say just use any 5w-30 SM rated oil if you want and it's more available. The difference between a 5W-30 and the "recommended" 0W-20 or 5W-20's isn't going to amount to much as far as fuel economy goes. Same for 0W-20 vs 5W-20.

Using the 5w-20 will be fine and I'd recommend that over ANY x-30wt oil in your Civic.

5w-20 of any brand will protect and keep your engine clean following the OLM. They all are excellent.
01.gif

I WOULD NOT drive 100 miles for *any* oil.

The difference between 0w-20 and 5w20 would be in MPG less than something you could figure. A click on the gas pump or sitting at a light would be more of a variable.

Take care, Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

If you can't find 0W-20, then, I'd find a 5W-20 oil to use for now. It would be better for the MPG than a 30wt oil. BTW, have you checked Advance Auto Parts? They carry 0W-20 M1 and if they don't have it at the store, it can special ordered at no extra charge.

Peace,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back