How to Remove Primer overspray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buffing it out is the safest as it won't hurt the paint underneath. Use the mildest compound that will remove the overspray. You can use various chemical methods but they can harm the paint.

A clay bar will work wonders on overspray and it wont hurt the surrounding paint like harsh chemicals can. I use Zainos but mothers also makes a clay bar system that is readily available at many auto parts stores. It will make the paint look new again. After you are done just apply some wax or polish and you are good to go.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
A clay bar will work wonders on overspray and it wont hurt the surrounding paint like harsh chemicals can. I use Zainos but mothers also makes a clay bar system that is readily available at many auto parts stores. It will make the paint look new again. After you are done just apply some wax or polish and you are good to go.

I second this suggestion. Clay bars were made to remove paint overspray and should do the trick for you. An abrasive polish or a chemical cleaner would be the next step if the clay doesn't work. I'm sure it will; a friend had some overspray on the windshield of his car after having a little paint repair done and asked me to remove it. About 2 mins with a clay bar and some detail spray did the job. I followed it with a glass polish and a good cleaning with a glass cleaner and now the windshield looks like new. Took me all of 10 mins to solve the problem.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz

I second this suggestion. Clay bars were made to remove paint overspray and should do the trick for you. An abrasive polish or a chemical cleaner would be the next step if the clay doesn't work. I'm sure it will; a friend had some overspray on the windshield of his car after having a little paint repair done and asked me to remove it. About 2 mins with a clay bar and some detail spray did the job. I followed it with a glass polish and a good cleaning with a glass cleaner and now the windshield looks like new. Took me all of 10 mins to solve the problem.

Ok, Thanks for all the replies. I initially tried to use the 3M All in 1 Cleaner Wax that I was initially using to remove scratches on my rear bumper but it didn't work in taking the primer off the rear left quarter panel where the scracthes are located (on the rear bumper also).

I am going to try this Mothers rubbing compound that was just sitting in my garage and see if it works. I will report back the results tomorrow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6

Ok, Thanks for all the replies. I initially tried to use the 3M All in 1 Cleaner Wax that I was initially using to remove scratches on my rear bumper but it didn't work in taking the primer off the rear left quarter panel where the scracthes are located (on the rear bumper also).

I am going to try this Mothers rubbing compound that was just sitting in my garage and see if it works. I will report back the results tomorrow.

Do NOT use a rubbing compound - they're usually abrasive enough to scratch the paint and are generally designed to be followed by a less aggressive product.

Get a clay bar, either Mother's or Meguiar's should be available at any auto parts store.

Polishes, paint cleaners, rubbing compounds, etc are designed to remove below surface defects. Clay bars are designed to remove above surface bonded contaminants. Over spray fits the latter. Use the right tool for the job.

Originally Posted By: Mike-in-Orange

Do NOT use a rubbing compound - they're usually abrasive enough to scratch the paint and are generally designed to be followed by a less aggressive product.

Get a clay bar, either Mother's or Meguiar's should be available at any auto parts store.

Polishes, paint cleaners, rubbing compounds, etc are designed to remove below surface defects. Clay bars are designed to remove above surface bonded contaminants. Over spray fits the latter. Use the right tool for the job.

+1

Originally Posted By: LexusAussie

+1

I know Honda's paint jobs are notoriously thin but I doubt trying a little bit of the rubbing compound is going to outright destroy my paint. Besides, I currently have it on hand versus having to go out and purchase the Clay bar kit. But thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted By: LexusAussie

+1

I know Honda's paint jobs are notoriously thin but I doubt trying a little bit of the rubbing compound is going to outright destroy my paint. Besides, I currently have it on hand versus having to go out and purchase the Clay bar kit. But thanks for the heads up.

I never said it would outright destroy the paint. But it may well have a tendency to scratch the paint, and when people use the wrong product for the job they tend to damage things and get really upset. Quite often the damage can be repaired but the consumer doesn't immediately know how and they usually end up blaming the product they used for inflicting the damage.

If you have information telling you that Honda paint is notoriously thin I should think that's all the more reason to use the right tool for the job. The clay bar is the right tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back