Super Tech Synthetic Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me preface this question by saying that I may be way off base on this but...

I'm fairly sure that I have previously read on this forum that there is no such animal as Group III synthetic base gear oils. That is to say that all synthetic gear oils are Group IV.

Now I'm fairy sure that I've seen Super Tech synthetic gear oil at Wal-Mart for a reasonable price.

Is Super Tech synthetic gear oil is Group IV?

Last edited:
I doubt it. Its run of mill lube supplied by lowest priced oil company, like Warren Distribution or Specialty Oil Products.

If you want a Gr. IV you need to look to companies like Amsoil, Red Line, Royal Purple. Gr. IV base stocks (PAO's) cost a lot of money and many oil companies are unwilling to invest that in a low cost lubricant like SuperTech.

I don't know if the Super Tech is a Group IV or not but it is possible to make such an oil using Group III stocks.
I have mentioned before that Group IV is no longer 'magic'.

Last edited:
That SuperTech 75w-140 is the least expensive synthetic we have seen in that grade. It's probably not the very best out there by a long shot, but we have never had any problems with other SuperTech products. I would use it without worries. For severe applications, I would probably use one of the others (higher price too) mentioned above.

Um, at $10 per quart, why wouldn't you use a name-brand gear lubricant instead?

Small volumes and long drains ... I just don't see saving any money going with a questionable fluid in an important application.

I'm not planning to use it and I'm running Pennzoil Platinum motor oil so I'm over the Group III vs. Group IV thing, I just remembered reading, or so I thought, that all synthetic gear oils were Group IV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back