AMSOIL PCO 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used this oil in a demanding application?? Pablo or Gary is this oil like XL series Amsoil or does it have PAO base to it as well as group III? The TBN starts high and I was just wondering if it looks like AME's little brother in UOA's? Thanks, in advance, for your feedback!

I've thought about trying it, but my local amsoil dealer doesn't carry it. Unless AME gets reformulated into something different like cj-4 or the price goes way up I will continue using it. On a price standpoint to me, you get a better buy with AME with its PAO benefits.

I keep looking at PCO as a good option for those folks that never push their drain intervals, or don't accumulate many hours/miles throughout the year. IMHO if it actually has some PAO in it and a decent ad pack then it is probably a better buy than other "synthetic" 5W40's. I might throw some in a yanmar refrigeration unit next month just to see how it performs. You are correct though for the current price of AME and performance it is a no brainer.

Last edited:
Is the Amsoil 15w-40 Marine/diesel application a full synthetic? I have been using it for 2 years now and am wondering.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
It's really a blend, not a pure Group III oil like XL.

No one currently uses this oil that I know of. It has done good in the past, but no UOA's posted.

I have used it and it is as good as the AME.
I have used this PCO in a ford 6.0 diesel for 22,000 miles and it was tested 2x one at 9,800 miles and the next one at time of change wich had over 22,000 miles, I have the UOA and will post some other time. the results with 22,000 miles were "GOOD for CONTINUED USE" down here in south Florida.

Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
Is the Amsoil 15w-40 Marine/diesel application a full synthetic? I have been using it for 2 years now and am wondering.

AME is a full synthetic oil. It is not a blend, it is not a Group III oil.

Hey Lazaro thanks for your input...it's great to know someone who has at least tried this oil. I really look forward to seeing that UOA when you get the time. Any oil that survives in a 6.0 that long has to be pretty darn solid. Were you running a bypass set-up or was this interval done just with changing out the full flow?? The application I'm looking at throwing the PCO into is pretty tame and already has a bypass filter to boot. I've already ran HDD and AME in these little Yanmar 3 and 4 cylinder diesel engines and they love em both!

i think this oil is one of the best kept amsoil secrects. i've used it in my 95 powerstroke up to 13k. I'll see if i can dig up a UOA.

It didn't leak as bad as the AME and started well in the cold.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Originally Posted By: Pablo
It's really a blend, not a pure Group III oil like XL.

No one currently uses this oil that I know of. It has done good in the past, but no UOA's posted.

I have used it and it is as good as the AME.
I have used this PCO in a ford 6.0 diesel for 22,000 miles and it was tested 2x one at 9,800 miles and the next one at time of change wich had over 22,000 miles, I have the UOA and will post some other time. the results with 22,000 miles were "GOOD for CONTINUED USE" down here in south Florida.

ScannedImage-6.jpg

Wow thanks for posting! It looks like it shares close to the same ad pack as AME (at least what can be seen on a UOA). That's a good bargain oil! Were you running a bypass too or was this just results with the full flow?

Originally Posted By: pickled
Wow thanks for posting! It looks like it shares close to the same ad pack as AME (at least what can be seen on a UOA). That's a good bargain oil! Were you running a bypass too or was this just results with the full flow?

full flow only. using a eao88

Are you looking at his results in that UOA as positive?...those wear numbers look a little high, the mileage on that oil is up there as well, but I think that kind of mileage with any oil in a 6.0 (if that is an 05) is pushing it...

Last edited:
For a synthetic blend that doesn't claim to be an extended drain oil I'd say it didn't suck while it was in there for that long without a bypass filter!! If I can get some more reports on PCO in the 1 to 2x recommended drain interval (multiple UOA's per drain to understand the wear function) that look promising it has potential to be a good bargain fleet oil at bulk commercial pricing. I don't know where it falls off the wear cliff, but I don't see 4ppm FE/1,000 miles as horrendous in this application. I probably just need to bite the bullet and throw some PCO into a Cummins ISM and see what it does compared to the old Delo or Rotella.

For a synthetic blend that doesn't claim to be an extended drain oil I'd say it didn't suck while it was in there for that long without a bypass filter!! If I can get some more reports on PCO in the 1 to 2x recommended drain interval (multiple UOA's per drain to understand the wear function) that look promising it has potential to be a good bargain fleet oil at bulk commercial pricing. I don't know where it falls off the wear cliff, but I don't see 4ppm FE/1,000 miles as horrendous in this application. I probably just need to bite the bullet and throw some PCO into a Cummins ISM and see what it does compared to the old Delo or Rotella.

Point well taken, but you are breaking it down to per 1000 miles of operation after looking at the end result, which isn't really accurate here as the interval was long. As you stated, you need to find the wear "cliff" as you mention in your own words. I know I wouldn't want to be driving around with some of those wear numbers. Oil is cheap, engines, especially diesels are not.

Last edited:
Further to my last post, I think you can look at brand x oil being used in an engine and even if the results are considered on the "caution" or close to a change needed (my opinion on the above sample), see a positive in it- IE Wow! the oil held up really well in that long interval. But, how do you know that other oils wouldn't hold up equally as well? Possibly you like the product and that is fine, we all have our favorites. But lets remember what is important here, and that is protecting your investment.
For me, I don't know about anyone else, but if I had
Iron 92
Aluminum 19
Lead 26
Copper 21
Silicon 41
In MY (no one else's truck, hypothetically speaking here) 2005 Ford F350, I would be waiting for someone to tell me to pay a little closer attention to my maintenance schedule. I flat out think the interval is too long, and if it was my truck would be alarmed at the numbers, as well as my inattention to detail, as well the oil analysis company telling me that the sample was "normal", or "no corrective action required" having someone in a lab tell you what is happening and looking at it from a first hand point of view are two different things.
But yes, I guess I can take a positive from it in that the engine is at least still in good working order after 22 549 (or was it 31 703 miles?) on that oil change. I would not expect the engine to last a long and happy life with consistent oil changes at those intervals. :2cents:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Further to my last post, I think you can look at brand x oil being used in an engine and even if the results are considered on the "caution" or close to a change needed (my opinion on the above sample), see a positive in it- IE Wow! the oil held up really well in that long interval. But, how do you know that other oils wouldn't hold up equally as well? Possibly you like the product and that is fine, we all have our favorites. But lets remember what is important here, and that is protecting your investment.
Iron 92
Aluminum 19
Lead 26
Copper 21
Silicon 41
In MY (no one else's truck, hypothetically speaking here) 2005 Ford F350, I would be waiting for someone to tell me to pay a little closer attention to my maintenance schedule. I flat out think the interval is too long, and if it was my truck would be alarmed at the numbers, as well as my inattention to detail, as well the oil analysis company telling me that the sample was "normal", or "no corrective action required" having someone in a lab tell you what is happening and looking at it from a first hand point of view are two different things.
But yes, I guess I can take a positive from it in that the engine is at least still in good working order after 22 549 (or was it 31 703 miles?) on that oil change. I would not expect the engine to last a long and happy life with consistent oil changes at those intervals. :2cents:

if you look the unit has a total of 31,703 miles.
we were happy with the results.
nothing was flagged except for the silicone wich should be from a new engine.
we did change it after 22,000 miles, I think it was time.
we will sample the same truck with the same blend oil in another 6 months.
now the truck owner is happy that his truck gets 28mpg rather than his friend with the same vehicle getting 15 mpg.
the aluminum,lead, copper and silicone are not abnormal and if you look carefully on the oil analyzers guide the metal wear numbers to compare with are for conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Iron 92
Aluminum 19
Lead 26
Copper 21
Silicon 41

if you look the unit has a total of 31,703 miles.
we were happy with the results.
nothing was flagged except for the silicone wich should be from a new engine.
we did change it after 22,000 miles, I think it was time.
we will sample the same truck with the same blend oil in another 6 months.
now the truck owner is happy that his truck gets 28mpg rather than his friend with the same vehicle getting 15 mpg.
the aluminum,lead, copper and silicone are not abnormal and if you look carefully on the oil analyzers guide the metal wear numbers to compare with are for conventional oil.

I looked at the wear metal guide...guess my version of acceptable and OA's view are totally different, I know Blackstone's view is different yet again. But, I'm pretty fussy with my rig. For the owner, if he plans on keeping his truck and using Amsoil, perhaps an Amsoil bypass and AME 15W40 might be in his best interest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back