Chevron 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another one for you guys eh!!! (Canadian, required by law I have to end at least one sentence with "eh" in every correspondance).
grin2.gif

I have been running Amsoil 5w20 in my '03 5.4L super duty an the wife's '03 windstar 3.8L since once broken in, now I'm running Chevron's mineral 5w20, specs here

https://www.cbest.chevron.com/generated/MSDS/PDS20366779.PDF

I switched mainly for cost, and the fact I really like Chevron lubricants. For comparson sake, buying one quart off the shelf of Supreme 5w20 is 3 times cheaper for me to buy than the cost per quart for a 55gal drum of Amsoil 5w20, big difference (commerical account). For my truck, dusty eviroments, extended idle times, Donaldson filters exclusively, intervals are a regular 3,000-4,000miles.

Wife's van, every 3,000miles, idle times, running around town, stop/go etc, also Donaldson.

What do you gurus think of this change, how does the oil measure up in your minds.

Again thanks in advance, love this site!!

Cheers,

Mike.

Last edited:
Also, compared to the Ford 5w20 it is still 50% cheaper for the Chevron, I thought about Ford 5w20 since it's a semi and has some great results from what I've read here, I can use this oil if you guys feel the Ford is indeed worth the 50% addition cost per quart.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I hope you get some input here. But if it's a conventional that's not available at Wally World, then it might as well be from mars.

:)

I like the visc #s on the 5w20 - if you're going to go light, then you might as well go light.

Stay with Chevron the 5w20 is a synthetic blend its just not advertised as such. No need to waste your money on Amsoil at those drain intervals.

I don't know about the synthetic blend comment. I'm still not hip with calling group II and II+ with maybe a spoonful of group III oil a synthetic blend (just a personal thing). Looks more like typical (but good and consistent) Chevron group II and II+ with some VIIs and poor point depressants added to the mix. Here's what Chevron's own MSDS says about it... Highly refined mineral oil (C15 - C50) Mixture 80 - 100 %weight. It will probably be a good oil for you at your intervals. Chevron passenger car products pretty much just get it done within the standard interval without surprising you. Hopefully wear control mirrors what their commercial Delo provides if so you got a bargain on your hands!! If you ever do a UOA be sure to post it so we can potentially follow your lead.

Thanks for the feedback ehhhh!!!
grin2.gif

I've ran on 3,500 mile interval through my truck already with a Donaldson and the Chevron 5w20, forgot to tell my mech when he did the service to collect a sample for a UOI, will do that this time. I am running a K&N, will leave it in this time, next interval I'll go back to a factory air filter to see the difference.

Thanks again!!!!!
cheers3.gif

I don't know about the 5W-20 but Chevron products were among the favorites here a couple of years ago. Said at the time to be very similar to Havoline, which were also very well liked. Many outstanding Chevron UOAs over the years.

I think you will get excellent results.

I used Chevron 5w-20 for a long time in our Grand Caravan, then I started using Quaker State 5w-20 because Walmart had the 5 quart container for so cheap, I think Chevron oils are top notch.

Chevron makes great oils, I'm using their Texaco Havoline w/Deposit Shield right now, and I've had good luck with it using it before as well. The 4,300 mile UOA came back flawless, and I'll be using it on my next oil change as well.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back