Oil analysis for a BMW 330d. Mobil 1 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.
First, sorry if i do some mistakes, i'm french and i haven't written in english for a long time.

On my BMW 330d (183ch) i've done an oil analysis.
The motor has 135.000kms and the oil 20.000kms and i haven't put more during the 20.000kms. In the motor there are 6.75L inside.
The oil used is Mobil 1 0w40 and i used (but i won't in the future) an additive made with MoS2 and graphite.
I will try to translate all the analysis :

Viscosity at 40 degrees celcius : 72,4 mm²/s
Water : 0%
Combustion parameters :
contamination indication : 0,57%
Spectrometric analysis :
Datas are in ppm
Phosphorous : 871
Zinc : 1096
Calcium : 2621
Magnesium : 35
Nickel : 2
Aluminium : 7
Iron : 30
Chromium : 1
molybdenum : 117
Copper (Cu): 4
Lead (Pb) : 4
Tin (Sn) : 9
Silicon (Si) : 7
Sodium : 6
Boron : 142
Potassium : 1
Barium : 0
Antimony : 1
Vanadium : 0
Soufre : 2278
silver : 0
Manganese : 0
Titanium : 0

Analyses Infra-Red :
Oxydation indication: 0
Nitration indication : 0
Sulfatation indication: 10 (I don't understand what it is)

Pollution
estimated Dilution : 4%
Wear :
Quantifieur of particles : 12

What do you think about the results?
Are 20.000kms too much? Normally I should do it every 22.000kms (depends on an indicator).

Should I use another oil? I have read on this forum that the M1 0w40 becomes rapidly thinner. Is it true?
Should I use instead M1 5w30 or Castrol 5w30 or 0w30.
I live in the south west of France where the weather is not cold in winter (I see negatives temperature only few days in the year) and in the summer the temperature can grow until 35 degrees celsius or a little more.

Another question : I used to buy every filters at BMW but I have tried Mann filter. Is there a difference in quality or there is no risk using Mann filters? I heard only good things about Mann.

Thanks for the response. It will really help me!
In France only few people take care about these things, so I feel alone to speak around this subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the "estimated dilution" of 4% refer to fuel in the oil?

Interesting that you are using M1 0W40 in a diesel. I did not realize that M1 was also intended for diesels.

welcome2.gif

Any Tbn? Are you sure oxidation/nitration are 0? Wear metals look good.

Yes there is a M1 0w40 for diesel.
Yes, estimated dilution of 4% refer to fuel in the oil. (I think, 'cause there is another indication for the water in the oil)

Buster, thanks for the welcome.
There is no TBN in the analysis : it would have been very interesting!
For you wear metal looks good?
for oxidation and nitration, I would verify (when i'm back home) but it was the number I read.
I don't know what nitration represents?

For me it's really hard to understand these numbers.

I forgot to say that I used Pela 6000 for the second time (with this motor). It seems to do a good job..

Last edited:
Mann filters are OEM for many BMW models. Use them with confidence.

What is your fuel consumption in L/100kms?. I would like to get my hands on a diesel BMW here.

thanks for the response.
4% dilution is too much? i'll do another analysis next time to see if it's still so high and i'll check my injectors.
So i'll use Mann's filters for the future.
My consumption is around 6 and 6.5L/100kms. (I don't drive a lot in cities)

BMW diesel are very good but i'd prefer drive a 325i or 330i!!

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
4% fuel in the oil is not good. Perhaps you have a bad injector.

Hi Ludo,

It is said that fuel dilution greater than 2% is serious.
Usually points to poor injector(s).
This kind of dilution issue cannot be controlled with an extra oil change in the long term.

For further info on oil contamination, I found some interesting comments including fuel dilution :

Quote:
Frequent starts of an engine, excessive idling and cold running conditions can lead to moderate fuel dilution problems. Severe dilution (excess of two percent) is associated with leakage, fuel injector problems and impaired combustion efficiency. These are symptomatic of serious conditions that cannot be corrected by an oil change. According to one reference, 0.36 percent of total fuel consumption ends up in the crankcase. Problems associated with fuel dilution include:

* Diesel fuel dilution in cold operating conditions can cause waxing. During startup, this can result in low oil pressure and starvation conditions.

Diesel fuel carries unsaturated aromatic molecules into the motor oil which are pro-oxidants. This can result in a premature loss of base number (loss of corrosion protection) and oxidative thickening of the motor oil, causing deposits and mild starvation.

Fuel dilution can drop the viscosity of a motor oil from say, a 15W40 to a 5W20. This collapses critical oil film thicknesses, resulting in premature combustion zone wear (piston, rings and liner) and crankcase bearing wear.

Fuel dilution from defective injectors commonly causes wash-down of oil on cylinder liners which accelerates ring, piston and cylinder wear. It also causes high blow-by conditions and increased oil consumption (reverse blow-by).

Severe fuel dilution dilutes the concentration of oil additives and hence, diluting their effectiveness.

Fuel dilution by biodiesel may result in higher than normal problems compared to diesel refined by crude stock. These problems include oxidation stability, filter plugging issues, deposit formation and volatility resulting in crankcase accumulations.

src: http://www.whitfieldoil.com/www/docs/153.645/

See you on 6enligne
wink.gif

Cheers

So, you recommend me to check as soon as possible my injectors or to make an analysis before 20.000kms?
I'm surprised because my consumption is almost normal.
as it is a percentage, it depends on the interval. After 20.000kms, 4% is already high?
If I do an analysis after 10.000kms for example, if I have 2% of dilution it is already too much?

I would do the UOA at the same interval as your service. So if you change oil every 20k km's then thats when you should do the UOA. What is needed is for you to ask specifically the TBN value, which the lab doing your analysis may provide for extra money.

Concerning the % dilution, I don't believe it has any relevance to the service interval. IF the % dilution is 4% it's not normal if you are 10K km's or 20k km's. Depending on the labour costs of getting the injectors tested, it may be better replacing the nozzles(tip of the injectors) all at the same time.

Alternately you can change oil, then do UOA at 10k km's to see if the % dilution is anywhere near the 4% mark. If it is you have to service at 10k km's but if the problem gets worse it could end up higher than 4% even at 10K km's.

You're using 0W40 grade which when 0W could be allowing diesel more chance to dilute when cold engine. I'm not sure, but perhaps a 5W30/5W40 may correct that.

I would also add that the fuel timing should be verified. If there is any retardation it would not burn all the fuel, also helping more fuel dilution....however as you have no loss of power or smoking from unburnt diesel fuel, I'd say it's probably one or two injectors slightly out of range on calibration.

Looking at long term consequences, I'd advise to verify the injectors spray patterns, be sure they vapourising the diesel properly and correct quantity.

Cheers

Last edited:
i've just read on a french forum that a dilution must be under 7% for a diesel and 3% for a gasoline.
So mine seems to be normal?
But comparing to the others UOA's of the forum it seems to be quite high..
frown.gif

Hi,
Ludo - Your report for a single pass UOA looks very good in fact. The particle count confirms this too along with (generally) the wear metal uptake rate. I suggest in future that you insist on getting TBN and TAN readings too

The fuel dilution rate is a factor of engine family design. Some diesels do have an upper limit around 7% and many can be in the region of 2% or so

A good report and I would stay with the lubricant you are using. IMHO you would be wise not go below a SAE40 viscosity lubricant whatever the Brand

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer, it helps me.
I'll try to find a lab which can give me TBN for the next time.
In France we don't have a lot of choice. It's normally reserved for "professionals".

I see that you're using M1 0w40 too. Have you been using it for a long time?

Hi,
yes I have used M1 0W-40 for some years and in a variety of engines. It was in my 2.8 Z3 BMW for some time two a few years ago and those engines have a very high bulk oil temperature too

It is a very good product when used as directed

This is the main reason I love this site. Here we have two guys from France, one from Idaho, New Jersey, Canada, and Australia talking about the UOA of a diesel BMW. Now if we could only get these cars over here.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Ludo - Your report for a single pass UOA looks very good in fact. The particle count confirms this too along with (generally) the wear metal uptake rate. I suggest in future that you insist on getting TBN and TAN readings too

The fuel dilution rate is a factor of engine family design. Some diesels do have an upper limit around 7% and many can be in the region of 2% or so

A good report and I would stay with the lubricant you are using. IMHO you would be wise not go below a SAE40 viscosity lubricant whatever the Brand

Hi,
I'm about to do the next oil change and I was thinking about using Castrol 0w30 or 5w30.
In order to remember me all the answers I read again this post which is a good idea. So your advice is not to use oil below SAE40.
Why? On my 330d 0w30 and 5w30 are allowed and used by BMW otherwise 0w40 and 5w40 are allowed too. What is the mean reason of your advice?
Then, I have read that is better to have a lower difference between the warm and cold grade so a 5w30 is better than a 0w40 because to do a 5w30 less viscosity improvers are needed.
It's why I wanted to come back to a 5w30 oil.
Furthermore I"ve read that Mobil 1 0w40 become rapidly more thin, like a SAE 30.
So if the 0w40 become 0w30 I should take 5w30?

In my country and region the temperature is very very rarely under 0 degres celsius and can go to 35 degrees celsius in summer. No too cold and no too warm.

In fact, I'm convinced that I'm thinking too much because a M1 0w40 is enough (and not too expensive). It's just because I know that BMW is working with castrol which oils are very good, that I want to try Castrol.
Staying with M1 would be a better idea : I've 2,5 liters left from the last oil change.

Thanks,
Ludo.

Hi,
Ludo - You can confidently use M1 0W-40 - it is one of the best lubricants money can buy. Castrol's Edge 0W-40 is also a good product but I prefer the "SuperSyn" structure used in this M1 version

Thanks.
So I'll try to definitely stop wondering me if there is another best oil for my motor.
I'll keep using this one which works well with my car.

Thanks.

Your wear metals look very good to me for that mileage, I agree with Doug Hillary on using that oil, especially in your climate, and the fuel issue is borderline. How long since the fuel filter/water separator was serviced?
BTW - as we say in states, "Nice ride".
Translated - you have a nice car, we're hoping to get them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back