Honda Odyssey 5spd AT filters:

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Same basic thing applies to the 5spd AT Accord, Pilot, Ridgeline, MDX, etc. but I'm not sure those filter P/Ns are the same.

07onOdyTrans.jpg

05thru06odytrans.jpg

99thru04OdyTrans.jpg

Joel

Yep, there sure is Brett. I'm a member over there too. Thing is, the write-ups basically only address the 2001-2004. There's been some changes since then.

Joel

For several years Honda moved away from having transmission filters, but thankfully they are putting them in the vehicles again.

Transmissions have wear parts and filtering out the debris just makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
..I have the PDF of the 2006 and probably will attack it at 50K or so.

Sounds like the perfect mileage to replace it. I'm wondering if the Honda AT failures you hear about aren't associated with a clogged filter & ATF starvation. From what I understand, your average Honda service B@@b has absolutely no idea these filters even exist. The few that do will tell you it's a "lifetime" filter. I wouldn't be too surprized if the old filter gets left in place on a rebuilt unit.

Joel

Last edited:
I have a new 2008 Odyssey as well. I have found that the Honda part 25450-P4V-013 is cross referenced by Fram to their part number FT1219. Has anyone spent any time investigating aftermarket filters? Maybe the stock filter from Honda would be the best to change out during every other OCI.

durango- How are you liking your 2008? I haven't looked into a/m alternatives yet. The weather has been such that I have yet to get my Ody up on ramps to see underneath! Every other OC would probably equate to ~15-18Kmi? Possible overkill at that mileage, but if that housing cover is easy enough to R/R, I don't see why not.

Last edited:
JTK,

Very nice so far. Has been only about a week that we've had it.
I haven't had too much time to check it out as well. Once we get some warmer weather around here I will be going over it too.

I was thinking of changing the trans filter at maybe 10K and then go to maybe every 25-30K? Not sure if getting to it will be tough. I will have to check out the posts on the Ody forum. I was originally considering adding a magnefine inline filter but seeing as this filter is already on the trans I probably won't unless that other one is a bear to get to.

I have been trying to read up on issues with the Honda engines/transmissions used on the Odyssey and have mostly found that the 5 speed trans on the 2007 & up models should have most of the past problems addressed (as referenced with the changing of the trans to the 4 shaft that is being used in the Ridgeline). Since there is not too much history on these newer models I will just have to wait and see if the updated trans holds up. Until then I plan to overmaintain the filter and fluid.

Bah! I finally got my 2008 Ody up on ramps today to take a peek underneath. Apparently the 2007+ Honda autos on the Ody, Ridgeline and Pilot do indeed have a replaceable cartridge filter, but it's buried within the bellhousing and only accessable with the transmission removed! Way to go Honda. What a design. From the 2002+ Ody owners who replaced their AT filters and cut open the old ones, they were pretty filthy by ~50Kmi. Oh well. Atleast these transaxles are easy to drain/fill. You could add a magnifine too I suppose.

Joel

Kenny, from the best I can tell, that's how it it designed. The 2007+ filter is mounted somewhere on the input shaft side of the case, inaccessible from the outside. If I didn't have to return my 2008 in ~33mo, I'd add an inline (cooler line) filter of some sorts. Of course you'd have to locate the cooler lines first, which I was not able to do without popping out a bunch of push-pins and removing the plastic belly pan. Honda makes most of the maintenance parts easy to access, but I swear you could dump a jar of marbles over the engine and none would fall to the ground on my 2008.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Thanks for posting that. I have the PDF of the 2006 and probably will attack it at 50K or so.

Pablo:

Would performing frequent drain/fills avert the need to service this filter? I am currently performing an ATF drain/fill on my wife's 2006 Pilot every other oil change (11K miles). I plan to do this until the ATF turns bright red and will then revert to performing a drain/fill once per year (~18K miles)

By the way, I know that Honda Z1 ATF turns dark fairly quick, and that dark ATF is not a good indicator of problems, but was wondering how the Amsoil ATF was at staying bright red?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lyondellic

Pablo:

Would performing frequent drain/fills avert the need to service this filter? I am currently performing an ATF drain/fill on my wife's 2006 Pilot every other oil change (11K miles). I plan to do this until the ATF turns bright red and will then revert to performing a drain/fill once per year (~18K miles)

By the way, I know that Honda Z1 ATF turns dark fairly quick, and that dark ATF is not a good indicator of problems, but was wondering how the Amsoil ATF was at staying bright red?

I still think that filter should be changed. These trannies need all the help they can get. Amsoil ATF is stable. Z1 is questionable......at best.

Definitely change the filter if you can get at it. Try a Honda site with parts diagram blow-ups, but the 2006 Pilot should have the same trans as the 2005-06 Ody listed above. A top mounted housing with a cartridge style element.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back