Chevron Delo 400 5w40 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the specs from Chevron's web site

https://www.cbest.chevron.com/generated/MSDS/PDS7668720.PDF

I get Chevron at bulk prices, much cheaper than other brands locally. I'd like to run this in my '04 Jeep Rubicon with a stroked 4.6L I-6.
259186796_ZKHPS-M.jpg

Current lubes:

Diffs: Chevron ESI 85w140
Trans: Chevron 5w30 synthetic
TC and PS: Chevron HD Mercron V ATF
Engine: Chevron mineral 10w40
It still has the small cats off the y-pipe, larger 3rd cat is gone. Since this is primarily a diesel oil I wasn't sure about cat fouling, bad mpg, sensors, etc.

I can't get Chevron synthetics in the following grades here in Canada: 5w20, 10w30, European 5w40 (really wanted this one).

What do you guys think, will I run into issues using the Delo 400 5w40? Filters are Donaldson, larger body P550299, intervals are 5,000kms, maybe less. Thanks in advance!

I'm running it in my 88 BMW 325ic. And I've had it in other light pickups. tested well.
It is a group III synthetic, and the viscosity curve is more like Amsoil's 10W-40 (It is graphed on my oil report - below)

I dunno why the stroker part of it would effect the valve end of things. The spring pressure is normal for a pushrod engine.
21.gif
I have the Mopar (Hesco) roller rockers. Very expensive. If I had it to do again, I'd get the head machined for a set of Jessel RR's. You can also use Harland Sharp RR's for a 304 (same bridged OEM rockers) ..but you need guide plates.

If I was going to do any cat mods, it would just be to move the rear O2 sensor to behind the last cat. The fronts are what fails in the efficiency OBDII test. They may have gotten them right by 04 ..but they're so prone to failure that the parts man doesn't even have to look up the price.

You can use lighter oil ..but no harm in what you're doing.

btw-I just swapped cats (my wife's 99 only has one) after 140k miles ..and maybe a dozen of the little formed squares in the mesh would blocked. The thing was a see through experience. I've used plenty of HDEO's and highly additized oil products.

Good luck!

Delo either way is an excellent line of products. If you get a good price that makes it a compelling reason to use it.

I run Amsoil SSO in my 2005 Rubi, and she is happier now! I also use Severe Gear 75w140 in the front and rear Differentials and Amsoil Synchromesh in the trans...much nicer shifting when it's gallon...that tipped me off that it had to be group III and other base stocks. Have fun wheeling up there ehhh!!!!!

Nice Jeep....worked with a guy a while back that was BIG into off-roading with his '02 Wrangler 4.0. Had 33's(?) and a mild lift...was rough on-road....He just used Wal-Mart 'Tech 2000' 10W-30 dino, and changed it every 4-5,000 km's....

Good chaoice on the oil - if I ran a jeep, I'd use 5W-40 or 10W-40..even Johnny from Pennzoil used PP 5W-40 Euro in his Wrangler...have fun!

Thanks for all the feedback, always a great read at BITOG!!! widman, awesome writeup, I always learn more and more here.

I used to run Amsoil exclusively, but I took the moment to look at cost, plus I have no issue running Chevron lubricants. My mechs use them exclusively on site in all heavy and light equipment, we've done this for decades witout issue. Depending on product, Amsoil costs me 2-3 times as much, considering the frequent fluid changes playing in the mud, snow etc it's a much more cost effective way to go.

There has also been some positive results besides costs, I used to run Amsoil's MTF 5w30 in the trans, there was always a bit of brass coloration with the MTF and the trans had a metallic whine in 5th until it warmed up. Now I have no brass coloration using the Chevron syn 5w30 and no noise at all, and my shifts into 3rd are smoother (B&M short throw made it a bt notchy).

Amsoil's 75/140 was used in the D44's, there was always a engage/disengage delay with the factory air lockers and always required movement, very annoying. Since I'm running a Currie high pinion D60 in the rear I was required to use a super tacky 85w140 that will climb the ring gear when crawling at low speeds to lubricate the pinion bearings now located at the top of the diff (warranty is void if I didn't do this). To keep the diffs the same I did the front D44 with chrom moly axle shafts and Warn hub kit, still using factory locker. The difference in the front locker was night and day, engaging/disengaging is almost instantaneous, even when exposed to -30c/-22f weather overnight (had a great new years walking back to town in the dark:)

Last edited:
Here's a pic, pitch black night, a hole was dug out by an escavator, add insult to injury the passenger window was open an inch EVERYTHING inside had a foot of snow on it. Good times!!
291951331_Srnjk-M.jpg

Last edited:
NICE!!! It sounds like you have a dialed in set-up, and like to put it to the MAX. I bet that snow shower felt great. Winter wheeling certainly has its own unique challenges...especially when drifts cover up an 8 foot deep hole!!!!! Continue to use the lubes that work best for your set-up.

Schaffers makes a nice climbing gear lube. I can not rember the product number but it was featured on this site back when Bob was very active. He was the origanal owner of the site beofre he took ill. So I would ask the schaffers rep about it. It was really a killer product.

In fact is Bob still sealing Schaffers product and what is his address??? I am going to be going to Florida and would love to buy some products from him!!! I owe him so much for starting this site and really getting it off to a great start. I hate mail ordering oil but would love to stop buy say high and buy a few cases of oil and N*131 from him!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back