Opening Day: 2008 Indy 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
We made it to the speedway this afternoon for a couple of hours of the Rookie Orientation practice (and veteran refreshers) for this year's 500. Photos are here. I took some video with my Canon PowerShot A550, but forgot to put it on the better resolution, so it's a bit grainy. But, the audio's pretty good.
thumbsup2.gif
It's here. Lap speeds while we were there were in the 217mph range. Enjoy!

Rumors have it (and they're fairly strong rumors) that F1 will be back in '09. Bernie could find no other US city that wanted him.
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Pat, thanks for the sights and sounds of the Indy speedway. The sound of the car engines reverbarating off the main straight stands is exciting. It gives me chills. My dream is to attend an Indy 500 one day. My real passion is to attend a F1 race and Indy would probably be it. So I hope they come back. I remember when the Offy grip was broken by the mid engined Lotus cars. I also remember the STP turbine car that slmost won one year. Oh yeah, I think they still have Carb Day. Indy has it's traditions.

After attending the Canadian GP in '05 and '06, I decided to add the USGP last year and the USGP was the bargain of the two. I'm praying the USGP returns in '09!!

Pole day was awesome. I'm going back Sunday for Bump Day, weather permitting. There's nothing like all 33 of them accellerating through turns 3 and 4, taking the green flag, and hauling a** throgh the first 10 laps or so. From the singing of "Back Home Again" to lap 10 is the most exciting 20 or 30 minutes in sports, for me.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Pole day was awesome. I'm going back Sunday for Bump Day, weather permitting. There's nothing like all 33 of them accellerating through turns 3 and 4, taking the green flag, and hauling a** throgh the first 10 laps or so. From the singing of "Back Home Again" to lap 10 is the most exciting 20 or 30 minutes in sports, for me.

You nailed it. You don't have to be a race fan for the opening ceremonies through the first 10 laps to send chills up your spine. Something everyone should experience just once in their life!

This Sunday is the perfect day for open wheel racing. First you see the Monte Carlo F1 race beginning at 730 AM est on SpeedTV. That's a great race even though the winner is usually the one who qualified on the pole. The narrow streets make passing next to impossible. Then in a few hours the Indy 500 prerace show begins with all the ceremony's -fly overs and military guards. The race begins with Gentlmen and lady: start your engines. What a day.

I believe that's, "Gentlemen and Ladies, start your engines." Fortunately, there's more than Danica's over-rated skirt in the starting grid. Go Sarah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back