3800 Harmed by 1/2 quart Overfill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like my eyeballing wasn't so accurate on the last oil change and my 1999 Buick LeSabre with the 3800 Series II is half a quart too full. Is this a major problem for this engine?

No way. I've run my turbo 3.8L nearly 3 quarts full at the track with no issues. Normal for that car is 1 quart overfilled.

4.5 qts brings mine to the full line but I've been using 5 qts the last few changes. No issues. Someone else on this board says they always fill it up with 6 qts. That seems a bit much however.

Everyone is correct, lose no sleep.

BUICKGN -- 3qts overfilled?? Wow! The way GN's blow seals I'm surprised.

If you want to read an interesting thread on overfilling with oil, go to http://www.gm-diesel.com/ and check out "Runaway Duramax". The site will not let me link to individual threads.

It will be especially interesting to Diesel enthusiasts. The consequences of overfilling was extreme in this case. I am guessing that the damages to the engine will come to at least seven thousand dollars.

I don't mean to scare the OP. I don't think any harm was done in his case.

The consequences of over-filling, yeah, that's what I was worried about. I know on some engines 1/2 quart is a lot to overfill. I'm new to the 3800, so my post.

Yes, half a quart in a 3800 is a non-issue.

But about the diesel thing. I talked to a guy years ago who had paged through an old Army Field Service manual for some heavy equipment with the old 2-cycle detroit engines. Included were sabotage procedures, including methods of destroying the engine to prevent the equipment from falling into enemy hands. One method was to fill the crankcase to the brim with oil. Then start the engine... hilarity ensues.

How did I miss this thread? I have been running a 6 full quart regimen in my Buick 3800 everyday since July 19, 2007. No problems.

I wouldn't think a 1/2 quart is going to be a problem. But at some point, you could overfill it to the point the crankshaft churns the oil causing aeration and then the oil won't be pumped through the engine. That's a real serious problem. A secondary issue would be the drag on the crankshaft resulting in reduced HP and mileage.

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
But at some point, you could overfill it to the point the crankshaft churns the oil causing aeration and then the oil won't be pumped through the engine. That's a real serious problem. A secondary issue would be the drag on the crankshaft resulting in reduced HP and mileage.

That's possible with some engines, but I can tell you with a reasonable amount of certainty that it doesn't happen with this engine; and if it did, I would've known by now.

Just something I should mention: I am running an oversize filter that holds about 4 ounces more oil than the stock filter.

Damage from foaming and cavitation isn't necessarily immediate. It is a little here and a little there. It also would be worst in fast stops and hills. You might get away with it in Kansas, but not San Francisco.
Since 4x4's usually have deeper oil pans and 1 qt extra, you could certainly add more unless you off-road.
Only way to know for sure is to put a window in your oil pan, run the engine with extra oil and tilt it, in all four directions.

I'm running an oversize filter as well. I will fill with 5 quarts and use an oversize filter, as I hate having a million half-full bottles laying around the garage.

You're worried about 5 quarts?!!? Like I said, I run 6 full quarts in my Buick with no change in engine performance. 5 quarts with the standard filter will bring the oil exactly on the full line.

ADD|. . . . .|FULL

Mine comes to the last L with 6 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back