Bendix TitaniuMetallic II Brake Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used the Bendix TitaniuMetallic II brake pads before? Do these pads deliver good stopping power (equal or superior to OE)? Are they quiet?

I need to do a rear brake service (pad replacement and rotor resurface) on a 2005 Infiniti G35 w/38k miles. Although this G35 is not equipped with the Brembo brake option, it's still equipped with a relatively high performance brake system. I am trying to find an aftermarket brake pad that is less expensive than OE, but does not compromise stopping power for longevity, which many aftermarket pads do.

Thanks in advance.

I'm very happy with Axxis Ultimate ceramic pads on my '06 Civic Si. They have much more stopping power than the OE pads, but they do dust fairly heavy. No NVH issues with them. Other than the dust, they're perfect for street use.

Not sure about those pads. But check tirerack's website. They rate the brakes for stopping power, noise and dust. Hawk pads might fit your needs.

Originally Posted By: ocspray
I'm very happy with Axxis Ultimate ceramic pads on my '06 Civic Si. They have much more stopping power than the OE pads, but they do dust fairly heavy. No NVH issues with them. Other than the dust, they're perfect for street use.

Did you reuse the OE pad shims? I ask as most users of Axxis Ultimate on the Acura forums complain about NVH.

Originally Posted By: cos
+ 1 for Hawk HPS, they are great pads! Low dusting and noise/grind free (you have to prep the discs (wash, sand, wash) and then bed the pads in according to Hawk's recommendation.

This place has good prices/service:
http://www.bestbrakes.com/hawk_brake_pads.shtml

Wow, they are much pricier than the OE pads for this application. Do they have a sharp initial bite or do they have a more linear feel?

I wouldn't say sharp but in the apps I've used them on there is: more initial bite, more overall "power" and better modulation. Well worth a few extra bucks IMO.

How much more $ are Hawks then OE pads?

Originally Posted By: cos
I wouldn't say sharp but in the apps I've used them on there is: more initial bite, more overall "power" and better modulation. Well worth a few extra bucks IMO.

How much more $ are Hawks then OE pads?

I can get the TitaniuMetallic IIs for $27 shipped.

The OE pads would cost me $50-$55 shipped, Hawks would be a little more than $60.

There probably are other pad sets that are as good, but the Hawk HPS [not HP+ which is racing] pads grab better cold or hot, low dust and noise, and wear very well. They are a proven winner.

id probably just go OEM on that. i dont like mixing brake pad types front and rear, unless its a track car. make sure they are OEM, and not a cheaper version, like Motorcraft vs. Ford OE, not saying MCFT is bad, just i dont like mixing compounds.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: ocspray

Did you reuse the OE pad shims? I ask as most users of Axxis Ultimate on the Acura forums complain about NVH.

I cleaned and reused the OE shims front and rear (I don't like mixing pads, either), and applied molybdynum brake grease as called for in the service manual. When they're cold, there's an occasional, very faint, very high bit of noise on initial, light brake application, but it's hardly noticeable. They modulate well, but the available braking force combined with good summer tires is high enough that if I ever let someone else drive my car, I'd warn them to be light on the brake pedal until they had a feel for it. I've tried to get them to fade with successive, near ABS stops, but they held up fine, even with the OE rotors.

I've read good comments on Hawk pads, too, but never used them.

Since the consensus is that the newer G35 pads offer outstanding performance and low dust, I think I'm going to stick with them.

$47.99 shipped for a new set of rear OE pads, and about $100 for a new set of rear Centric Premium rotors.

Stay tuned for a video on the install, it should be posted in about a week.

Critic-

I have an '04 G35 and am considering Centric Ceramic pads combined with the Centric premium rotors.

Have you looked at the Centric Ceramics?

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Critic-

I have an '04 G35 and am considering Centric Ceramic pads combined with the Centric premium rotors.

Have you looked at the Centric Ceramics?

I considered them, but since this is a performance application, I wasn't sure if the braking performance of those pads would be up to par with the OE pads. Normally, Centric Ceramics would be one of my top choices.

Also, the OE pads have been ordered, but I've decided to resurface the rotors with a non-directional finish instead of ordering new ones.

Not sure if this applies to '05 models, but on my '04, the dealership replaced my front pads and rotors free of charge. Later on, they replaced my rear pads free of charge as well. They did this for G35 owners due to the pads wearing out so quickly.

What would you say about the Akebono ProACT pads for the G35 application when compared with the Centric Ceramic.

Last edited:
Not sure if this applies to '05 models, but on my '04, the dealership replaced my front pads and rotors free of charge. Later on, they replaced my rear pads free of charge as well. They did this for G35 owners due to the pads wearing out so quickly.

Yeah, that had a campaign that allowed for pad/rotor replacement if you were under 36k on 03 and 04 models. This car would be over the mileage anyway, it has 38k.

Flush your brake system if you haven't done so yet when doing your pads. Last week I've flushed mine with Valvoline Synpower Brake fluid and the pedal firmed up a bit. I'm sure with new rear pads, the flush will make the G35 brakes feel excellent.

Are you following the http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm for brake bed in?

Are you a member of G35Driver.com? Do you know what guys over there had success with in terms of brake pads?

Last edited:
Flush your brake system if you haven't done so yet when doing your pads. Last week I've flushed mine with Valvoline Synpower Brake fluid and the pedal firmed up a bit. I'm sure with new rear pads, the flush will make the G35 brakes feel excellent.

Are you following the http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm for brake bed in?

Not this time. Infiniti has a burnishing procedure listed in the factory service manual. Since I'm using OE pads, I'll follow that burnishing procedure unless I become dissatisfied with the results.

Yes, I do plan to perform a pressure bleed with a Motive pressure bleeder and Valvoline SynPower DOT3/DOT4 fluid. The rotors will also have a non-directional finish (courtesy of 150 grit sandpaper) for faster bed-in and noise control.

Brake Burnishing Procedure AFS002R9

Burnish the brake pad (or lining) and disc rotor mutually contacting surfaces of disc rotor according to following
procedure after refinishing or replacing drums or rotors, after replacing pads or linings, or if a soft pedal occurs
at very low mileage.

CAUTION:
Be careful of vehicle speed because brake does not operate easily until pad and disc rotor are
securely fitted.
Only perform this procedure under safe road and traffic conditions. Use extreme caution.

1. Drive vehicle on straight, flat road.
2. Depress brake pedal with the power to stop vehicle within 3 to 5 seconds until the vehicle stops.
3. Drive without depressing brake for a few minutes to cool brake.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 until pad and disc rotor are securely fitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back