Oil draining via sump bolt vs vacuum device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

1/ I'd like to have your views on which method you prefer and why?

2/ For those folks that are religious with used oil analysis, does your UOA show up increased metal content when using a suction device to change oil as compared to letting gravity do it's job by opening the drain bolt at the bottom of the sump?

My feeling is that with modern oils(synthetic's like the Castrol TXT LL04 5W30 I use in my BMW 330d (M57N), better filtration systems the days of expecting to find 'gold dust' gathered at your sump bolt/magnet is over. Infact if you are finding that, then you have some serious issue internally. Yet there are some people that believe it is very serious to not get this out the old fashioned way. If thats the case then what do you think about some of the new Mercedes engines that simply do not have a sump drain bolt. It is oil change by suction device exclusively.

Thanks in advance for your facts, opinions, pointers.....

Cheers/Vernon

Last edited:
There is very little, if any difference between the two techniques in well maintained equipment. The only way to be 100% sure is to vacuum and then drop the oil pan to see what is left, or at least pull the oil drain plug.

In multiple situations, Ive seen that it is actually more thorough to vacuum than to drain out, because getting the last 5% is where the time is. That said, for most cars Ive not seen a real time savings, often it is more of a convenience thing.

There are some 12V systems out there which Id consider. SOme of the vacuum ones last, others dont.

JMH

I use the vacuum method for my tranny since it doesn't have a drain plug. I built a homemade unit that's powered by my shop vacuum. The best part is it cost me about $7 is parts at Home Depot.

With my Passat and Miata the pump is a matter of convience. Both have belly pans that are a pain in the tail to remove and reinstall.

My Mighty Vac works very well in both these applications.

Murrays/CSK stores has their $60 vacuum unit on sale for $15 last week. Don't know if this is a nationwide sale or just purging of slow moving inventory at the store I visited.

I use it for my 330d too, not because i want to save time, just because it's difficult for me to crawl under the car (sport "suspension").
Whithout the pump i would need to elevate the 4 wheels to go under it (and to have the front and the rear of the vehicle at the same level to do it properly)

I use a vacuum device when the filter location is topside, my daughter's HHR and my Mazda RX8, go the conventional route when
when the filter is beneath the engine; my wife's Honda CRV.

if the oil filter is accessible from the top (like my old Golf TDI), I used the vacuum method. On top of that, it was handy to vacuum the used oil out of the nooks and crannies of the oil filter housing. On my Passat, since I'm underneath to change the oil filter, I drain from the plug, I mean Fumoto Valve

Been using oil extractors on my boats for over 20 years. Never an issue ever. Take UOA samples from the oil filter housing tube (you have to be quick with the sample bottle). In my Merc 7.4L GM engines the extractor gets to the very bottom of the pan and gets more oil out than my friends who has drain bolts. (mine don't). Use it on the boat & car transmissions, p/s pumps, brake bleeding, etc. Very handy tool. I have the motive extractor I got off of amazon.com. $54
thumbsup2.gif

Im bettin' the planet is stronger than your vacuum. That said, if you can get a bolt out - go fer it. In hard places (like my boat) I have to rely on the super sucker.

So many of us are using this method.
It's conforting me in my choice.

I'm surprised that nobody has said it was worst.. On french (and general) forums there are always a lot of pesons who say it's not a good method because some sludge can be left.
They say there is sludge in the motor and this sludge stay in the motor with vacuum.
In my opinion, with recents motors and synthetic oils there is no more sludge. only particles that stay in the filter (it's his job). So the more important is to get out the more oil.

If you are getting sludge out in an oil drain you have more problems than the oil change method. The vacuum is a great way to do an oil change without making a mess.

The most important is that you change the oil on a regular basis .That will give the motor the best chance of living a long life .Do not sweat what doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the long run.

I'm not sure to understand the last sentence.
did you want to say that there is no need to worry about things that are not very important? Which mean that the most important is to change oil regularly wathever which method I use?

I agree with the opinions expressed above -- in most engines, it will not matter whether you drain from the sump or siphon from the dipstick tube. As long as you get 90% or more of the old oil out of there, a new oil filter installed, and some new oil poured in there, your engine will appreciate the oil change.

My engine has had 27 or 28 oil changes, only four times have I drained from the sump. topside extractors are just so easy to use, it makes oil changes fun.

on my old 02 TDI, I used an Oil Boy to change the oil & use the suction to drain the oil filter housing almost completely-- since the filter is mounted point up.

on my current 08 Passat, since I have to be on my back to do the filter.... I replaced the oil pan bolt with a Fumoto Valve w/ nipple and drain direct into a can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back