12 oz of auto-rx in a small sump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hyundai accent with a 3.5 quart oil capacity (with filter). It has started developing some HLA noise on cold starts and Im contemplating using some Auto-Rx. The instructions now call for the full 12oz regardless of sump size. Will this be too much for the hyundai.

Doubt it. I just had 12 ounces installed into a Civic with an identical size sump.

No, it doesn't.
I did the 12oz clean in a Mazda, with a 3.5 quart oil sump. I then drove 2500 miles with 0 problems. Just remember to add a new oil filter, and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the replies. Ive used it twice in my wife's jetta with good results as well. Im a little surprised Im getting the start-up noise in the hyundai with only about 50K miles on it and a strict regimen of 3750mi drains with conventional. A good auto-Rx run and I'll probably start using synthetic.

The "full bottle" instruction is a dramatic departure for ARX; up until now the recommended (and effective in my experience) dose had been 2oz/qt. Not sure what is motivating the change.

Still, Frank has been very consistent over the years that an overdose (within reason) of ARX won't hurt anything but your wallet. Three or four oz/qt shouldn't hurt anything.

This is on the Auto-Rx Web Site (FAQ)

Q:Auto-Rx and Overfilling of the Crankcase
A:The cleaning dose of Auto-Rx constitutes the addition of 12 fluid ounces into the crankcase. In any automobile motor this will not create an overfill problem with regards to sump capacity. Remember that we are only talking about just over 1/3 of a quart or liter. That will likely not even going to be readable on the dipstick, when comparing before and after the addition. To even further diminish the concern, the Auto-Rx will get some absorption into the deposits in the motor, such as varnish or sludge deposits as it begins to penetrate the binders of these deposits.

Also Auto-Rx, its blend of esters has some polarity. It will have an attraction to clean ferrous metal surfaces and some amount of Auto-Rx will remain on these surfaces after the motor has been turned off.

We know of no automotive motor design that can not tolerate this amount of Auto-Rx added on top of a full oil fill. However for small four stroke motor applications, please apply the appropriate amount of Auto-Rx for the oil sump capacity. This would be applicable to lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc.

I'm a little confused now. sorry. Are you saying it is better to fill the sump with fresh oil and filter and then add the bottle of ARX, instead of adding the bottle of ARX to the sump and then adding fresh oil to fill the sump to the full mark on the dipstick?

In an ideal situation add the clean dose to the crankcase with the oil warm to hot. After adding the ARX run the motor to distribute the ARX evenly into the host oil. Then you are good to go.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I may have done one clean phase sort of correctly then on my high mileage Tundra. It got the ARX on an existing fill with 2500 miles left on it. The second clean ARX dose will be included as recommended by Rick20.

My other two vehicles had ARX treatment included during an OCI. The G35 got the ARX first, and then was topped off with Valvoline conventional. The S2000 got 4 qts of O'Reillys conventional, then the ARX, and then topped off with more O'Reillys. Both cars were driven immediately afterwards to mix the ARX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back