Mercedes OM603 Turbo/Royal Purple 15W40 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been lurking here a long time, thought I'd share my UOA with you guys and get your expert opinions. Funny thing is, I'm not losing any coolant....

I will change the oil at 5K this time and send another sample in....

Thanks in advance!

UOA-vi.jpg

welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

It does not take much antifreeze to contaminate oil. Could be the smallest of leaks. Not enough to notice the coolant going down. Have a coolant pressure test done. Other than that, nice report.

I'm in agreement with Johnny-not much antifreeze needed to put 35 ppm potassium in the oil. I've had 60+ ppm before with no noticable loss of coolant-then I found coolant running down the back of the motor.

I would investigate further.

Good luck,

REDDOG

Isn't the viscosity a little high on this used oil sample? Almost a 50 Weight oil (80.6 SUS Vis at 210*) - was there some type of additive used or is there something else in this report that would cause the Viscosity to increase?

Am I missing something here or did I not get enough coffee this morning?

Originally Posted By: White_Buffalo
Isn't the viscosity a little high on this used oil sample? Almost a 50 Weight oil (80.6 SUS Vis at 210*) - was there some type of additive used or is there something else in this report that would cause the Viscosity to increase?

Coolant can cause the thickening.

Yeah I wondered too. The virgin spec is 75, so it gooped up a bit.

I'm experimenting with a load of this oil in my diesel pickup, it's first synthetic oil in 22 years of life. After 2000 miles I have noted two things: oil consumption is down and cold start oil pressure is better (previous oil 10W30 RT or 15W40 RT). If I have any money left after buying fuel, when it comes time to drain this oil, I may get a UOA done at about 5-6K miles just to add a log or two to to the RP conflagration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

Yeah I wondered too. The virgin spec is 75, so it gooped up a bit.

I'm experimenting with a load of this oil in my diesel pickup, it's first synthetic oil in 22 years of life. After 2000 miles I have noted two things: oil consumption is down and cold start oil pressure is better (previous oil 10W30 RT or 15W40 RT). If I have any money left after buying fuel, when it comes time to drain this oil, I may get a UOA done at about 5-6K miles just to add a log or two to to the RP conflagration.

FWIW

Lubrication = Flow not pressure.

The increased psi at start-up isn't really a benefit IMHO.

On a cold start in winter, I also like to see good oil pressure, fast, not a slow migration of the needle up to normal. Yet a thicker oil will cause higher pressures cold. I'm with you on the flow thing-I'd rather have flow than just high pressure from a too-thick oil for conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back