Who makes the best synthetic 20W50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who makes the best 20W50 oil? Price being no object. I`m just a bit curious. I`ve thought about running a synth 20W50 once our summers start hitting the 108F mark. Most twin turbo Z owners on the Z boards use 20W50 year round. These guys track their cars,drive them VERY hard,and most are in the 200-300K mile range all with no engine problems and original turbos at that. It`s even one of the recommended grades of oil in the Z32 FSM.

Amsoil 20w50 always gets good reviews. Silver cap M1 15w-50 does as well.

I ran Royal Purple 20W-50 in my Muscle Cars for years and had great results.

So far,those three oils are exactly what most of the Twinturbo.net guys are using........Amsoil 20W50,Royal Purple 20W50,and Mobil 1 15W50 (which is my current fill).

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If it's working for you I would stick with the Mobil 1.

That`s a good point Johhny. Like they say,if it ain`t broke don`t fix it. I`ve been using the M1 15W50 for about four years. As a matter of fact,I`m letting the oil drain out of my girlfriend`s Old 88 as I`m typing. I`m using up the remaining M1 15W50 I have laying around my house to do her OCI w/ a Delco filter.

Guess my curiosity is getting to me about all the other good synth 50 weights out there.

Well since you said price is not object:

My choice goes to the oil you all are forgetting - Mobil 1 V Twin 20W50. It is the choice of many of the Offshore boating crowd as well as many, many motorcycle owners. These engines have higher performance capabilities than most cars. Those owners have deep enough pockets to pay a few extra bucks for this oil.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

My choice goes to the oil you all are forgetting - Mobil 1 V Twin 20W50. It is the choice of many of the Offshore boating crowd as well as many, many motorcycle owners. These engines have higher performance capabilities than most cars. Those owners have deep enough pockets to pay a few extra bucks for this oil.

Mobil 1 V Twin is a very high performance oil. Extremely shear stable.

that would be my recommendation. The 20w50 has a preety stout add pack

If M1 was working, I'd keep on using it. But I've seen people post here that Valvoline Synthetic 20W-50 is mostly PAO based and can be found for a real bargain at Advance Auto...

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r

that would be my recommendation. The 20w50 has a preety stout add pack

Actually, to answer in more detail:

From the comments that I have read of a lot of the Offshore Performace boat owners - Many owners put Mobil 1 V Twin 20W50 (which is rumored to be group IV/V), Redline 20W50 and Amsoil 20W50 on pretty much the same footing. So you would be splitting hairs to pick between them.

The current Mobil 1 15W50 with the silver cap is claimed to be categorized slightly below the first tier of oils performance wise for almost half the cost. (Mostly group IV, I have heard). It is supposed to be an effort to make up for taking the old "red cap" Mobil 1 15W50 off the market, that everyone loved.

The current Mobil 1 15W50 EP with the Gold cap, from what I have read is a categorized below the Silver Cap, performance wise, has been reformulated a couple of times and is rumored to be mostly group III with some IV.

If this is incorrect, I am sure someone will correct me.

I don't understand why you Twin Turbo Z guys need such thick oil.

Redline, but with Redline 10w40 or 15w40 will give you all the protection of a 20w50 and then some.

I like Valvoline Synpower 20w50 assuming the MSDS is correct when it shows (last I looked) about 85% PAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back