2005 Corolla Tire question

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, my girls corolla needs some tires soon. her cheap [censored] dad bought her some Kuhmo (something star) and they SUCK!they have about 30k miles and need to be replaced by the summer.. any suggestions on GOOD tires for the $$ for those little cars? thanks in advance guys!!

mike

take a peek at tirerack.com

They have lots of reviews that will help.

Without at least a tire size, we cant really say much...

JMH

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
take a peek at tirerack.com

They have lots of reviews that will help.

Without at least a tire size, we cant really say much...

JMH

they are 195/65/15's i am sure... i may go up to 205/65/15's.. they are a tad wider for better handling.. i am looking at tiretrack as we speak.. i was asking you guys from personal experience.. the bad thing with tiretrack.com is that most people write a report with only a few thousand miles on the tires and thats not good enough.. you need to write a report at the begining and towards the end of the life of the tire for accuracy..

Originally Posted By: mikeg5

they are 195/65/15's i am sure... i may go up to 205/65/15's.. they are a tad wider for better handling.. i am looking at tiretrack as we speak.. i was asking you guys from personal experience.. the bad thing with tiretrack.com is that most people write a report with only a few thousand miles on the tires and thats not good enough.. you need to write a report at the begining and towards the end of the life of the tire for accuracy..

with a size number we can at least know what sorts of tires you may be able to get... otherwise your stuck with unrelated recomendations or corolla owners only.

I think if youre set up with 195/65r15, you'd want to go with 205/60r-15, so that the speedometer isnt fat off. You need to run a tire size calculator to know for sure how inaccurate youll end up being.

If you can get potenza RE960AS pole position tires, I think they are quite good. Your point about the tire rack is well taken, the Pirelli P6 gets rated poorly there, but for the price, the performance for normal driving in all conditions is great... I have >50% tread on my saab with 35k miles on the set, and when Ive had to use them in the snow, they have worked well, to my suprise. Ditto on the Dunlo sport A2... some rate them poorly, but Ive had nothing but success with them on various card from MB diesels to toyota minivans to acura integras, even with use in various snow conditions.

JMH

yeah ill either go with the factory size of 195/65/r15 or the 205/60/r15's i was wrong earlier.. these 205's are only slightly wider but the same height and thats what i want..

Originally Posted By: Colt
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMakeModel=Goodyear_Assurance+TripleTred_1&x=13&y=13

wrong size. i need tires that arent that low.. thanks anyway bro

Originally Posted By: mikeg5
Originally Posted By: Colt
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMakeModel=Goodyear_Assurance+TripleTred_1&x=13&y=13

wrong size. i need tires that arent that low.. thanks anyway bro

Mike,the test still shows the characteristics of the tire regardless of size.

I would stay with the stock size on a Corolla. It's a light car, and not a performance car, and a wider tire will cost you in mileage, noise and harshness throughout its entire life. I would lean towards a high quality comfort tire. It will make the car much nicer to drive and accentuate its better characteristics rather than its worst characteristics.

I had Dunlop Sport A2s on my E30 325i BMW and they lasted only 27k miles. I was not impressed with the tires in general. My Nokian Hak II snow tires, by comparison, lasted 34k miles and my BFG Touring Pros have 35k on them with a couple 32nds left.

HTH.

Are you just looking for the longest lasting tires, or is wet/dry grip actually of some importance to you?

i am looking for good wet and dry traction and yes mileage is very important also.. i cant break the bank on tires so i am looking for stock size tires the best i can get for my $$.. right now i am looking at Kumho Solus KR21's they are 55$ per tire with a good rating for wet and dry traction and great wear..right now on the car i have the Kumho power stars and though they grip good on dry, they suck when wet and the wearing is [censored] too. they are rated less than the Solus kr21's.. what do you guys think?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...inSpeedRating=S

I understand that you are "price sensitive" and all. However, I rarely ever reward a manufacturer that made a product that I was unhappy with... by buying more of their products.

I'd pay the $10 per tire more and get the BFG Traction T/A's.

You've already experienced the regret of cheap tires. Why go through it again?

I agree. Stick with a stock size tire. I have the GY Assurance Comfor Treds on my Saturn sedan, and they are a very quiet tire. Tread rating is 85K miles too. When the GY Integrity tires wear out out on my new Corolla, I am going with the Comfort Treds again.

My family is running Traction T/A's and Assurance Comfortreds at about that size on our smaller cars. Hydroedge has been reviewed as an excellent tire also.

Check out Walmart and Costco prices. As someone indicated, not too much more money per tire may get you a Traction T/A. Also very Kumho mileage warranty. I looked at some before we picked up the Traction T/A's, and concluded I was better off with the BFG mileage warranty, after considering price vs mileage warranty.

check out edge racing. They sell toyo tires, which we have had exceptional service with, easily getting >70k on OE tires, with great snow traction to boot.

You can pick up toyo proxes tpt in h speed rating for $70 toyo spectrum (unknown how good it is, but again, we were really pleased with Toyo) for $48, and you can get the falken ziex ze-912, the recent CR top pick, and replacement of the ziex 512s which Ive used successfully on my BMW, for $50 each. the falken ziex on my BMW have worn like iron, and the new ones supposedly have solved the issues of bubbles in sidewalls (not an uncommon tire issue, just an unwelcome one).

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back