03 Duramax Amsoil 15W/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Chevy Duramax with 75,000 Miles
Amsoil 15W/40 had 7500 miles when sent to Blackstone for analysis. I bought the truck new and up to the 68,000 mile mark had always had Delo in it.

duramaxuoa1.jpg

A typical (outstanding) UOA for a Dmax.

A little hard to read, but the viscosity looks just the teeniest bit on the low side, but in now way is that a deal breaker.

Everything else looks good. Plenty of TBN left. If it were me, it'd still be in the engine looking this good; they recommend 8000 miles, but if it's this good, I don't see 10k being a problem. For them to suggest going to 8k from 7.5k isn't much of a stretch at all. 10k is very doable from what I see, presuming a similar use pattern for the vehicle.

Are you going to stay with the Amsoil? Was curious what made you try it, and what results (if any) you had from the Delo.

I hate to sound like a beating drum.....but this shows you that you can't just do 15K on an oil without a UOA. Amsoil is an excellent oil, but BITOG has shown us that even the top-tier oils must be monitored to be safe. Good report and 10K most likely will be the limit on this oil.....but, keep working upward on the UOA's and find the spot where you should stop.

I would say this oil could go a minimum of 15,000 miles with no problem.

For one thing the oil has gone into the 30w range. I don't fully agree that a 12 tbn oil has only lost 3.2 points off the oil in 7.5 K....close to impossible? If the oil keeps losing viscosity at this rate it will be a 20w soon!

I said, monitor the oil using UOA's and work upward toward your limit. Blunkity, Blunk?

Nothing wrong with working your way up.

I would not say impossible on the TBN. I used ACD for 10K and the TBN was nearly 8.

Oil has lost about 2 cSt on paper - but it's not heading for SAE 20...it's maybe got some minor fuel dilution that's not picked up by Blackstone - so I agree with you that it should be watched, but chances are the oil started at 13.8 or so, combined with a lab error (could be reading about 12.8 or so)....suddenly it's not so weird.

I think the recommendation from Blackstone is way on the conservative side to only recommend an additional 500 miles. Did they suggest "Try an 8000 miles oil use run ..." because you've already changed the oil?

If not, my suggestion is to run it up to 10k, and sample again. The Amsoil will likely be capable of going way past that, but if you're saving money by not doing an OCI, you can afford to spend a wee bit of money ($32?) on a UOA, right? Then, if all is good, sample at 12.5k, then 15k, and so on.

The key to UOA is consistent data collection. Sure it's expensive at first, but if you're really into the understanding of statistical analysis and how it applies to UOAs, then you'll have to spend some money up front to save money in the long term. The whole point of "synthetic" oil is extended drain intervals. The only way to establish that desired criteria is to sample at fixed points along the way, and graph the results. You'll begin to see established ranges and trends. Then, you'll truly know what your safe sample intervals are.

Further, you can never just abandon sampling with extended OCI's. There is always the risk of some mechanical failure effecting the oil's health, which in turn effects the overall engine health. I would NEVER extend an OCI to 15k or 20k, without UOA's at least at 5k intervals. Fuel or coolant dilution could do too much damage if left unchecked, and it would be no fault of the oil at that point!

You've got a great looking UOA; it's a starting point for more data collection. In no way, at this point, is there enough data to support any decision on a finite OCI interval. My suggestion is always to start with oil samples at 2.5k mile intervals. Once you get 7-10 good samples, hopefully you can see good ranges and trends. Only then, can you cut the sampling back to 5k mile intervals, and leave it there until a UOA establishes the oil has reached it's end of useful life.

Another thing to consider is your total mileage per year versus the total cost of UOA's and EDI's. If you're only driving 10k or 12k miles a year, then UOA's and EDI's probably are not even cost effective for you. If you want to do them because they are "fun" and you enjoy the BITOG experience, that's great. But to TRULY use UOA's, you should be working towards the intended purpose of monitoring lubricant health.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back