Rotella "T" JASO/MA Certified

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a Search here, but didn't find anything on this
21.gif
so, here's something I found at the "Ultimate Oil" section of the MaximumSuzuki forum http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php/topic,12638.200.html :
Quote:
Here is the email from a Rotella engineer that I found on the Shell forums.

"We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.

All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
Thank you for your interest in Shell products."

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer
Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.

I think the JASO MA spec is ridiculous. If Rotella will run in a Harley TC or EVO or Shovel for years it will probably be good for most any other motorcycle application and Harley Davidson specs 15w40 HDEO oils as their second choice for years. The HDEO specs should be what you look at versus the JASO. IMO

i run the rotella in my bikes and will continue to do so. excellent oil at an excellent price, normally shows excellent wear results and pretty stout add pack

with the sole exceptions of Maxima 4 Extra 15w50 and Motul 5100 10w50 i would put Supertech 15w40 up against ANY motorcycle spec oil with SRT and the other hdeo's right behind it. spending money on motorcycle spec oil is akin to flushing money down the toilet, imho. ymmv.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
i run the rotella in my bikes and will continue to do so. excellent oil at an excellent price, normally shows excellent wear results and pretty stout add pack

have you ever sent a sample to Blackstone Labs for a test ?
jst wondering . . . I plan to make the switch on this change on the RED08 KLR-650. from what ya'll have been saying, it is the best value for the $$$.

TIA, RED08

Yeah I posted that on maximum-suzuki....Just put Rotella T triple protection 15W40 CJ-4 in the bandit 1250....Shifting and clutch action were very smooth...And it ran very smoothly too.

Originally Posted By: RED08

have you ever sent a sample to Blackstone Labs for a test ?
jst wondering . . . I plan to make the switch on this change on the RED08 KLR-650. from what ya'll have been saying, it is the best value for the $$$.

TIA, RED08

I have sent in a uoa but it was with Exxon Superflo 20w50. I will be sending in another one but it will be Brad Penn 20w50. currently have rotella syn 5w40 in there with maybe a couple hundred miles on it and probably wont sent that in.

Have not sent in any for my dirtbike as I change that out quite frequently and I have not seen a need to get a uoa done

Quote:
I think the JASO MA spec is ridiculous.

But, many people also think it is Gospel, and won't use anything without that rating. That's probably why Shell did the tests.
21.gif

They found out that their Rotella oils were very popular with cycle riders, so, not wanting to lose a nitch market, they were asked to get their oils JASO rated.
Done and done.
I'm using the synthetic Rotella this year. My stash of Mobil-1 red cap is gone.
May go with the M-1 20W-50 next year; we'll see.

hear that the M1 20w50 is a pretty stout oil

Is there a difference between the Rotella T 15w40 than the t synt? I jst bought a gallon of the RT 15w40 at wally.

I use the M1 15w50 in the HD FLTRI and it runs great. I go the full 5k between changes.

Although Shell had the JASO required testing done, I don not think that the Rotella T is JASO certified. Nor does it need to be.

Many of these JASO rated oils, that many of the blind faithful feel compelled to require, are NOT JASO certified, but rather marketed in a way that makes one believe it is so.

Certification is easy to check online, and a certified product will have the official JASO certification logo on the package. Some will even fake the logo in yet another marketing ploy.

IMO, the JASO certification is pretty much a useless standard, unless you are completely clueless and need a consumer guide.
And I believe JASO states up front that it's the primary reason for their certifications to begin with.
For a performance standard, it is very weak.

Shell just recently got the JASO certification. It will take a while before the labels can be updated and the web site to list that certification.

well i jst got back from a trip up to the Arctic Circle on my 2008 KLR650, and I changed the oil in the Wal-Mart at Fairbanks after the 4010 mile trip up, and it was a 1/2 qt. low. then made the return trip back to MI 49024 5015 miles and the same thing, 1/2 qt. low. I am convinced that the Rotella T 15w40 is as good as any synthetic at half the price.

JMHO- RED08

Originally Posted By: RED08
well i jst got back from a trip up to the Arctic Circle on my 2008 KLR650, and I changed the oil in the Wal-Mart at Fairbanks after the 4010 mile trip up, and it was a 1/2 qt. low. then made the return trip back to MI 49024 5015 miles and the same thing, 1/2 qt. low. I am convinced that the Rotella T 15w40 is as good as any synthetic at half the price.

I second that.

There may be oil that performs better than Rotella 15W-40 under some specific set of environments. But I doubt there's an oil that performs as well as Rotella across the broad spectrum of motorcycle applications and for the price.

I'd been waiting for the CJ-4 5W-40 synthetic to be available ... and it now is. But you know what? I'm not going with it. The 15W-40 conventional is all the oil my '07 Goldwing needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back