Why don't big names make an Auto-RX alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started using Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 in my 98 Civic. Mobil claims it cleans up the motor and recommends shorter oil changes as the clean up progresses. It's on their website. Maybe Mobil has bit of ester in that HM oil? Maybe not? Maybe Mobil 1 HM is the best HM oil for cleaning - might be hype but regardless it seems to be a solid oil even if it is a synthetic.

"....For engines where heavy deposits and sludging exist, we recommend short initial oil change drain intervals of 3,000 miles as cleanup progresses.

It would not surprise me if Auto-rx works faster than M1 HM. I've used Auto-Rx on 3 of my vehicles. My 2 Toyota trucks are still in process since they are not driven much during the winters.

Engine oil has a lot of stuff to do inside an engine and a tough market to compete in. I don't think Mobil is interested in putting the high value ingredients found in Auto-Rx into the mix. Once they have satisfied the needed specs they are done. To add more to the engine oil would only hurt the bottom line. If you sell as much oil as XOM you cut as close as possible. Instead they put their money in banners and on TV. Adding Auto-Rx just makes good sense, like in the clean/rinse plan and the maintenance dose. The fact that Auto-Rx does not screw up the oil chemistry is a bonus.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I am sure there is more money in "5 minute flushes" than if someone made an Auto-RX clone. People want everything now and cheap.

Yeah, I was gonna post "instant gratification"

While I personally believe in the cleaning power of AutoRx as a periodic maintenance procedure, I do not believe in using it or any other additive in the normal oil change.
The oil formulations are so delicate as they are (balancing wear with cleanliness), a slight turn one way or another could change it.
Sort of like adding salt to a pan on the stove without knowing how much was in it or even what the end product was going to be.

Auto-Rx has been transparent in any UOA that I've seen
21.gif

This thread just keeps the old string of the vulcan motor, with photos of a spotless top end, likely due to Mobil 1. But the Vulcan had serious compression issues from an overheat situation.
Compression was restored by a single application of ARX. IMO a group IV oil such as M1 does not guarantee that ring packs stay clean, nor do I think that such oil will clean and free ring pack functionality.

IMO, I like to see ring packs bad and good. Everyone pushes it but yet to see it...

again LC20 (old rates) and ARX will do the same thing. If you look at the price and "what you get" one will surpase the other...Figure it out.

LC does not bond to engine parts it is a primary anti oxidant for the oil.

It has EP capability but how is proprietary.

There is no reason that BOTH products can't be used properly by those that care more about honest science over marketing.

Just not at the same time in the same unit.

Terry

Dyson Analysis

3679 CR 2184

Greenville, TX 75402

903 883 4661

I think ARX is a good product, along with LC20. It was noted to use LC20 with a rinse phase of ARX…not saying whom but again, based on what you get (miles vs price) etc a certain product wins.

Remember here folks threads that disappear etc show how good a product is.....ARX/LC20 are like %0.05 of the population if lucky...

Dargo,

Why would you want to spend the money on an antioxidant(LC20) during a rinse phase of ARX, which is only a 3000 mile OCI?

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Dargo,

Why would you want to spend the money on an antioxidant(LC20) during a rinse phase of ARX, which is only a 3000 mile OCI?
'

Cause I was advised and it showed (UOA).....Based on oil longevity, Lc20 wins bigtime...60 years vs like 8 years..

Not sayin either is bad, just diff

So you are trying to tell me that LC20 used in rinse oil for 3000 miles, after an ARX cleaning shows oil longevity? I love you pal, but don't see it.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
So you are trying to tell me that LC20 used in rinse oil for 3000 miles, after an ARX cleaning shows oil longevity? I love you pal, but don't see it.

you tell me..I know what uoa's tell me....Maybe you can post some UOA's and not what "someone feels"...prove me wrong..I still love that ARX mods/etc think 6000 miles is extended miles...come on here people.

Do you have some UOA's to share, dargo? I thought that you meant your UOA's ..but I see none under your user name (I may have screwed up
21.gif
).

..but on the topic of extended drains ...

For me an extended drain is (typically) a whole lot longer than your average Joe. I've done over 12k and I've done over one year. For some people, 6k is an extended drain. That's about 5-6 months to the average driver w/children. It drops off usually as the pups leave the den. 6k is also an extended drain for a former 3k/3m OCI type.

You'll be a pre-geezer or bona fide geezer too someday and not have quite the purpose behind the wheel that you once did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back